You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Captain Tom

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Geoff Woade said:

Did you type that whilst wearing your Captain Tom branded fleece and slurping down Captain Tom branded gin?

He wouldn’t have been filmed walking round his mansion in Surrey or wherever it is if he didn’t have a PR company owned by his fame hungry family behind him. If just the walking round the garden had been the end of it that wouldn’t have been an issue either. Constantly on tv, life story, the song, the statues, etc etc. Then even after he’d died the daughter tried to push having a ‘Captain Tom’ day every year.
It’s also not envy, it’s withering contempt. 
‘Old man walks round his garden (which is what old people do) and the doffers take leave of their senses’. Compare it to the likes of Speedo Mic and the relative reactions and I just find it baffling. Old people were always going to lap it up I suppose because they can give it the ‘we’re the greatest generation, we won the war’ shit that they love.

I don’t think even the most harsh critic is having a go at the bloke himself and I hope he enjoyed himself but the whole thing was and is ridiculous.

Tbf no old fella has ever raised money for charity before ever so you can see why there was such a fuss. 

Don’t see how anyone could have a problem with him wanting to raise money for the NHS. But that’s really as far as it should have gone. You only need one avaricious family member for it to start to go south after that.

In this case it’s alleged they were not exercising their charitable responsibilities in favour of their outside business interests, which netted a net sum of approximately £500k.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

You’re all jealous of Captain Tom is an interesting argument, must say I didn’t see that one coming.

I'm presuming the journalists who are running the story that the daughter is being investigated, are similiary green with envy.

Did anyone ever see that TV drama about how Charles Ingram ripped off who wants to be a millionaire? There was an absolute cottage industry of middle class shire types devoted to blagging their way on by gaming the selection process. The producers started to notice how virtually all the contestants looked like male and female versions of Hyasinth Bucket.

These clowns are from similar ilk. They're the tyoe of people who moan about benefit fraud but they'd never get out of bed for those kinds of numbers, when it comes to grift and shysterism they walk a higher path.

18 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

The accounts were signed off. There was no irregularity with them.  

This is an IP issue that could potentially allow a third party company to profit off the brand.  

An IP issue sounds like a minor indiscretion. It's not minor, it's the be all and end all. All there is an IP, the man is dead, all that's left is his name and image and guess what, they kept that for themselves. I've no issue with that as such, all they needed to do was hand over all the money initially raised to a recognised NHS charity. Instead they decided to pay themselves as much as they  could get away with for as long as they could get away with it. All while leaving the actual charity without the IP it needed.

• 11 months later...

Captain Tom’s daughter accused of using veteran's foundation to build spa and pool complex at home (joe.co.uk)

The charity’s trustees say they weren’t aware of the development

The daughter of Captain Tom Moore has been accused of using her father’s name to build a spa and pool complex at her home.

Hannah Ingram-Moore, 52, and her husband Colin told planners they wanted an office for the Captain Tom Foundation, which was set up in their father’s name following his fundraising efforts during the first Covid lockdown.

They wanted permission for the ‘office’ to be built at their £1.2million home, but then reportedly built a 50ft by 20ft pool house with changing rooms, toilets and showers, LBC reports.

The couple applied in their own name for planning permission, but apparently used the Captain Tom Foundation’s name in the statements they submitted over heritage, and design and access.

The charity’s trustees said in a statement: “At no time were The Captain Tom Foundation’s independent trustees aware of planning permissions made by Mr and Mrs Ingram-Moore purporting to be in the foundation’s name.

“Had they been aware of any applications, the independent trustees would not have authorised them.”

It takes more than a name to build a swimming pool. Just as an FYI to anyone thinking of trying.

I'm still laughing at the headline at the end of that article though

‘Ashamed’ father hits out at daughter for throwing faeces over Captain Tom memorial