You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Captain Tom

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Agreed. Made a cunt of himself purely on the basis they seemed nice middle class respectable people. 

The accounts were signed off. There was no irregularity with them.  

This is an IP issue that could potentially allow a third party company to profit off the brand.  

There's something perfectly modern British about this whole thing.

The guy decides to raise some money, his kid and her hubby - the kind of middle class dimwits who would have been trying to scam Who Wants to be a Millionaire 20 years ago, turn it into a grift, then take their dad on a plane to Barbados where he gets Covid and dies. 

All the while he's lauded by helmets like Piers Morgan and the gammon legions.

The British will monitize anything now, from pandemics to family, patriotism and compassion itself.

This is why I could never be arsed with it, or clap for carers, Britain is to sincerity what a black hole is to photons.

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The guy decides to raise some money, his kid and her hubby - the kind of middle class dimwits who would have been trying to scam Who Wants to be a Millionaire 20 years ago, turn it into a grift, then take their dad on a plane to Barbados where he gets Covid and dies. 

The British will monitize anything now, from pandemics to family, patriotism and compassion itself.

This is why I could never be arsed with it, or clap for carers, Britain is to sincerity what a black hole is to photons.

Once the likes of the mail and boris johnson jumped on board the great British public were fully behind it.

Wasn't there a petition to get a statue built at one point?

I remember anyone questiioning just why the family were jetting off to a all xs paid jaunt to Barbados in the middle of a pandemic, getting shouted down for being some type of jealous malcontent.

12 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Orwell was bang on. 

11 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Once the likes of the mail and boris johnson jumped on board the great British public were fully behind it.

I'd be signing that petition although imo it'd be more appropriate to have a statue of his daughter, big smile on her face, arm around the her kids one side, the other raised waving a wad of money. Not to leave Captain Tom out the plinth on which they stand  would be in shape of his coffin.

A symbol that far from being cowered by covid and the country's sky high rate of death the British entrepreneurial spirit was never broken and many rose up to make a nice few quid on the side. The statue would not only serve as a monument to modern Britain but imo it'd be quite touching at the same time. 

I remember anyone questiioning just why the family were jetting off to a all xs paid jaunt to Barbados in the middle of a pandemic, getting shouted down for being some type of jealous malcontent.

Indeed, another example of eyebrows not being allowed to be raised.

11 hours ago, Arniepie said:

That pissed me off so much, I wonder if BA did the same for anyone else who was raising money or if it was strictly for the one with the most publicity. Then parading him out for the pictures Weekend at Bernie’s style, in blazer and medals but with his shorts on. I’m sure the medals have definitely been valued ‘for insurance purposes only’.

25 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

If he’d been filmed walking round the garden of his mid terraced house in Speke this thread wouldn’t exist. 

Theres nothing so British as envy.  

They don't have terraced houses in Speke, you'd know that if you were a man of the people. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

If he’d been filmed walking round the garden of his mid terraced house in Speke this thread wouldn’t exist. 

You call it envy when really it's a healthy dose of scepticism.

40 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Did you type that whilst wearing your Captain Tom branded fleece and slurping down Captain Tom branded gin?

He wouldn’t have been filmed walking round his mansion in Surrey or wherever it is if he didn’t have a PR company owned by his fame hungry family behind him. If just the walking round the garden had been the end of it that wouldn’t have been an issue either. Constantly on tv, life story, the song, the statues, etc etc. Then even after he’d died the daughter tried to push having a ‘Captain Tom’ day every year.
It’s also not envy, it’s withering contempt. 
‘Old man walks round his garden (which is what old people do) and the doffers take leave of their senses’. Compare it to the likes of Speedo Mic and the relative reactions and I just find it baffling. Old people were always going to lap it up I suppose because they can give it the ‘we’re the greatest generation, we won the war’ shit that they love.

I don’t think even the most harsh critic is having a go at the bloke himself and I hope he enjoyed himself but the whole thing was and is ridiculous.

22 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

Did you type that whilst wearing your Captain Tom branded fleece and slurping down Captain Tom branded gin?

He wouldn’t have been filmed walking round his mansion in Surrey or wherever it is if he didn’t have a PR company owned by his fame hungry family behind him. If just the walking round the garden had been the end of it that wouldn’t have been an issue either. Constantly on tv, life story, the song, the statues, etc etc. Then even after he’d died the daughter tried to push having a ‘Captain Tom’ day every year.
It’s also not envy, it’s withering contempt. 
‘Old man walks round his garden (which is what old people do) and the doffers take leave of their senses’. Compare it to the likes of Speedo Mic and the relative reactions and I just find it baffling. Old people were always going to lap it up I suppose because they can give it the ‘we’re the greatest generation, we won the war’ shit that they love.

I don’t think even the most harsh critic is having a go at the bloke himself and I hope he enjoyed himself but the whole thing was and is ridiculous.

Totally agree.  Old man raising money is contemptible.  The people who gave money are worse.  Christ.  

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

If it'd been a family from Speke you wouldn't have been so quick to rush to defend them when it became plainly obvious they had been grifting.

There's nothing so British as snobbery.

5 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

If it'd been a family from Speke you wouldn't have been so quick to rush to defend them when it became plainly obvious they had been grifting.

There's nothing so British as snobbery.

Plainly obvious? You’d better tell the charity commission they missed something. When you’ve stopped hate wanking over Ursula and huffing Farrow and Ball. 

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Plainly obvious? You’d better tell the charity commission they missed something. When you’ve stopped hate wanking over Ursula and huffing Farrow and Ball. 

Oh come on Rico, they're fucking at it. You're letting the appearance of middle class respectability cloud your judgement