You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Captain Tom

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, No2 said:

But they're not giving a million pounds are they? They are giving £160,000 from a million and it's cost more than £160,000 to do just that. Thats from a bumper year, it's down hill from here. It could take 15 years to donate £900,000 and in that time they will have paid close to that to administrators, accountants etc. Plus the money they raise in the coming years is mostly money that would have found its way to another charity anyway. 

It’s like being in a parallel universe.  They have given £160k and have £700k in the bank.  They have decided that £500k is a good balance to have in order to fund future projects.  There are clear plans to donate the £700k cash. 

At the moment we seem to be moaning about something that hasn’t happened. 

Which is more likely, the fully audited accounts of a well run charity with excellent trustees is ripped off by the founders who now have little control or, they give the money away to the various nominated beneficiaries?  

Just now, Rico1304 said:

It is all allocated and some of it has been handed over since.  It’s all written in the fucking report! 
You’re also assuming they don’t raise any more money - which they are!  

They will never raise money as readily or as easily as they have in the past - I will be surprised if they are arounbd in a few years.

Here is a breakdown of a very well run charity that I provided IT services to for a number of years and still donate to.

Note the percentages for revenue to program, admin costs and fundraising costs.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/592114359

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

They will never raise money as readily or as easily as they have in the past - I will be surprised if they are arounbd in a few years.

Here is a breakdown of a very well run charity that I provided IT services to for a number of years and still donate to.

Note the percentages for revenue to program, admin costs and fundraising costs.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/592114359

Again, you are just speculating.  What is to stop it being a success? If they raise money for the various childrens hospices who fucking cares?  This thread is an absolute microcosm of this forum - it’s fantastic.   

Looked at your charity.  (Edit)14% on admin. So, well, there we go.  

CEO on $134k a year - don’t tell DS. 
Lots of liabilities too.  

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Again, you are just speculating.  What is to stop it being a success? If they raise money for the various childrens hospices who fucking cares?  This thread is an absolute microcosm of this forum - it’s fantastic.   

Looked at your charity. 16% on admin. So, well, there we go.  

Lots of liabilities too.  

You must not have looked very hard - it is 9% on admin.

Right now it seems Capt Tom is at 16% as they raised a million I believe and had 162,000 in admin. I hope they can continue to provide for hospices - my point is they are not really set up to continue at anything near the pace - and more importantly the ease of their past fundraising.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You must not have looked very hard - it is 9% on admin.

Right now it seems Capt Tom is at 16% as they raised a million I believe and had 162,000 in admin. I hope they can continue to provice for hospices - my point is they are not really set up to continue at anything near the pace - and more importantly the ease of their current fundraising.

Are you not counting the 5% on fundraising? Why not?  

Edit- Are there the same charity commission requirements for audit in the us? 

Please tell me what you know about their structure.   

Also you’d expect start up costs to be higher. It’s their first year. 

Hmm still alive like 2pac. 

Captain Sir Tom Moore's family find forgotten mystery Christmas present to open this year

The daughter of the late Captain Sir Tom Moore says she found a mystery Christmas present in her father's bedroom - which the family will open as they mark their first year without him

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2021-12-22/family-find-mystery-present-from-captain-tom-to-open-this-christmas

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Are you not counting the 5% on fundraising? Why not?  

Please tell me what you know about their structure.   

Because that is not included in administrative costs - that is a separate expense and one that is vitally critical to being successful long term - something I assume will become far more expensive for this entity as it continues. 

5% btw is extraordinarily low. 

I don't know anything about their structure.

You should enlighten everyone about it as it will be very important to their ability to continue to raise money.

Which would be a good thing.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Because that is not included in administrative costs - that is a separate expense and one that is vitally critical to being successful long term - something I assume will become far more expensive for this entity as it continues. 

5% btw is extraordinarily low. 

I don't know anything about their structure.

You should enlighten everyone about it as it will be very important to their ability to continue to raise money.

Which would be a good thing.

The costs of fundraising were £31k.  Mainly cash collection costs.  

The entire structure, plan etc is in the report. 

googling the name now brings up shitty headlines, I guess the completely baseless insinuation has killed them. Well done everyone.  Obviously buried in every story is a line like ‘there is no suggestion of any financial impropriety’.  No one will read it though.  

36 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

The costs of fundraising were £31k.  Mainly cash collection costs.  

The entire structure, plan etc is in the report. 

I think this will be an issue for them moving forward.

Looking at what you posted their overall "costs" were @ 240k (24%) and they donated 160k. Difficult that.

Based on their trustees desire to keep 500k in cash reserves they have @ 195k available for donation at the present time. Now they have to go out and raise money efficiently.

BTW I sincerely hope they continue successfully - was just pointing out why peoples concerns have some merit and

that it will become more expensive to run successfully going forward.

As you stated above for folks who are supposed to be in PR this is not looking very good. This story has gotten away from them

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think this will be an issue for them moving forward.

Looking at what you posted their overall "costs" were @ 240k (24%) and they donated 160k. Difficult that.

Based on their trustees desire to keep 500k in cash reserves they have @ 195k available for donation at the present time. Now they have to go out and raise money efficiently.

BTW I sincerely hope they continue successfully - was just pointing out why peoples concerns have some merit and

that it will become more expensive to run successfully going forward.

As you stated above for folks who are supposed to be in PR this is not looking very good. This story has gotten away from them

It’s not the same £500k though is it?  

Anyway, Im out.  Amazing what some cunt on Twitter can do when there’s an appetite to see something fail. 

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I hate these modern charity grifters. Whatever happened to the old school advert in the back of Private Eye saying “I don’t want to work so give me some money,”followed by a bank account number and sort code?

It has all been downhill since guys from South Africa stopped contacting me via email wanting to wire me money.

20 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s not the same £500k though is it?  

Anyway, Im out.  Amazing what some cunt on Twitter can do when there’s an appetite to see something fail. 

Well they have 695k - until they distribute all of that then yes it is the same 500k from the original 1.1m raised. Anything they raise from here on does not affect that.

The guy has 1000 followers - the story is in every paper in Britain, not sure he created the story tbh.

As said before - the current Foundation has made a hell of a PR mess with something that should be a slam dunk.

The guy raised 30 mil - during the fuckin pandemic - and the kids have left a sour taste here. 

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Again, you are just speculating.  What is to stop it being a success?

Hmm, the fact the mans dead would be my guess.

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

If they raise money for the various childrens hospices who fucking cares?  This thread is an absolute microcosm of this forum - it’s fantastic.   

Looked at your charity.  (Edit)14% on admin. So, well, there we go.  

Lots of liabilities too.  

Rico has obviously done his homework on this. Looked to me like they had made two large payments to companies set up in their own name. I'm sure we will see in due time if they have been all above board. 

I did some volunteer work for a charity years ago and they were pissing money away. CEO drove a jaguar, it was his full time job and he'd put all sorts on expenses. It's weird. Of course there are costs etc but the majority of charities just seem to be an absolute racket. 

38 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Well they have 695k - until they distribute all of that then yes it is the same 500k from the original 1.1m raised. Anything they raise from here on does not affect that.

The guy has 1000 followers - the story is in every paper in Britain, not sure he created the story tbh.

As said before - the current Foundation has made a hell of a PR mess with something that should be a slam dunk.

The guy raised 30 mil - during the fuckin pandemic - and the kids have left a sour taste here. 

43 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It went from him to Joe website apparently.  Pretty hard to get ahead of a story when peoples minds are made up.  The antipathy towards the family is weird.  Jealousy I guess.  

7 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It went from him to Joe website apparently.  Pretty hard to get ahead of a story when peoples minds are made up.  The antipathy towards the family is weird.  Jealousy I guess.  

Can we please put to bed this belief that Tories have of Labour supporters being jealous of those with wealth. I, and I'm sure most other posters on here, have no problem with people earning a good wage. If you work for it and are paid well, good luck to you. It's the ones who take the piss that bother me. The ones who earn more than I'll ever see who somehow manage to pay less tax than I do to support the society we both benefit from. Those cunts can fuck off.

1 minute ago, Rushies tash said:

Can we please put to bed this belief that Tories have of Labour supporters being jealous of those with wealth. I, and I'm sure most other posters on here, have no problem with people earning a good wage. If you work for it and are paid well, good luck to you. It's the ones who take the piss that bother me. The ones who earn more than I'll ever see who somehow manage to pay less tax than I do to support the society we both benefit from. Those cunts can fuck off.

yeah, Rico.