You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Jan 31 - Feb 4 2022)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Monday Jan 31:

I watched the kids play in the youth cup on Saturday and what a roller coaster of emotions that was. For 70 minutes they were brilliant. They led 3-0 and had looked so fucking good. They played Chelsea off the park. Strong in defence, bossing the midfield and creative as fuck up front. They scored three great goals and had restricted Chelsea to very little.

Then they conceded to the old ‘Lampard shot from 25 yards that goes in off a defender’s arse’ Chelsea trademark, and completely fell apart. A big part of it was centre back Lee Jonas having to go off and three players having to switch positions in the back four to cover for it, but even allowing for that this was a choke job of epic proportions. 3-0 with 20 minutes left and they lost 4-3. That’s it, no youth cup for them this year and it’s a massive missed opportunity for them as City are out and they had the chance to send Chelsea packing too. So frustrating.

The main thing happening today is obviously the window shutting. Big Nat went on loan to Bournemouth. Apparently he turned down two PL clubs in relegation battles and I can see why he’d do that. Bournemouth are riding high and chasing promotion so it’s going to be a lot more fun playing for them than scrapping it out for survival with the likes of Watford or Burnley.

Neco went on loan too. I don’t like that as he’s played well this season and he’s next in line should anything happen to Trent. Now we’ll probably end up with Gomez playing right back if Trent is injured or needs resting. I wonder if this was just done as a sweetener for Fulham to make it easier for us to land Carvalho? We agreed a deal with them and with the lad, but ran out of time. Letting them, have Neco may make it easier to complete Carvalho without the need for a tribunal.

That deal looks like it will still happen and even if we had done the deal tonight he wouldn’t have been joining until the summer anyway so there’s no harm done. I’m just made up that it looks like he’ll be coming here. Adding Diaz and Carvalho to what we have makes us pretty fucking formidable up top.

Of course someone will probably end up being sold now as we won’t keep all of those options when only three can play. Sadio may be the one under the most threat as Diaz (and Carvalho) both look like a natural fit for his position. Bobby should be the one under most threat but because he’s unique he may still have a role. I guess a lot of it comes down to who will sign a new contract on the terms being offered. If Mo doesn’t sign, he might be the one sold. Shit, they might sell them all because to extend them all would cost somewhere close to one million a week.

Speaking of Mo, both he and Sadio have made it to the AFCON semis and they have been kept apart so could both make the final.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

I switched on just in time for the shootout and one thing I did notice about the Boro keeper, was that mctominays pen that went under him was a bit fortunate, the keeper did a weird dive and it looked to me like he had the corner absolutely covered, if mctominay had hit it with a little more accuracy I think he was saving that. They were largely both shite though. And as much as I wanted to see United lose it, I wish it had been anybody but the young black kid who missed it, you know what’s coming after that and it did take some of the enjoyment of the moment away. 

19 hours ago, sir roger said:

The scary thing is some of these lads appear to look at Pickford and feel he is somebody to be copied.

That's a good point. Lots of little Prickford clones out there at the moment. Still, it could be worse. They could be copying that curly headed brexit fuck Shilton. 

• dave u unpinned this topic