You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A 1-0 win will do despite what the official site and ITV say

Tim

A 1-0 win will see us through to the knock-out stages no matter what the result is in the monaco - depor game. The only effect that game will have is if we go through top or 2nd (should we get the win).

But 1-0 is the only 1 goal margin we can win by to go through (unless depor beat, or draw against, monaco)

How so? It will leave both teams with 4 GF 2 GA, and head to head will both be 1-0 wins? What is the tie breaker, assuming Monaco win. If Monaco draw and we win, then we pip Monaco because of our 2-0 win.

Anway, recent history is good- We beat both Dortmund and Roma on the last matchday at home.

Penalties? Coin toss? Dwarf toss?

I thought goal difference was irrelevant - it's just down to results against each other in the CL.

It goes:

4.05 If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group

matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings:

a) higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the

teams in question;

b) superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams

in question;

c) higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches

played among the teams in question;

d) superior goal difference from all group matches played;

e) higher number of goals scored;

f) higher number of coefficient points accumulated by the club in question,

as well as its association, over the previous five seasons (see paragraph

6.02).

I thought goal difference was irrelevant - it's just down to results against each other in the CL.

It's not irrelevant. These are the rules:

----

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings:

a) higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;

b) superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;

c) higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;

d) superior goal difference from all group matches played; e) higher number of goals scored;

f) higher number of coefficient points accumulated by the club in question, as well as its association, over the previous five seasons.

----

As you can see, it's c) that eliminates us from the competition in a 2-1 or higher scoring, one goal win for us. In other words; since we didn't score in Greece, if Olympiacos scores at at Anfield we need to win by at least two goals to avoid c) eliminating us before d) sends Olympiacos out.

Practical examples:

We win 1-0. That gives the two teams equal points(10), equal internal goal difference (1-1), equal internal away goals (0-0). But LFC go through on a superior goal difference from all group matches played (4-2 vs 4-3).

We win 2-1. That gives the two teams equal points(10) and equal internal goal score (2-2). But LFC are out because of c). Olympiacos will have higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches between us, the have one and we have none.

A 1-0 win will see us through to the knock-out stages no matter what the result is in the monaco - depor game. The only effect that game will have is if we go through top or 2nd (should we get the win).

But 1-0 is the only 1 goal margin we can win by to go through (unless depor beat, or draw against, monaco)

Bad luck yesterday yes, but if we do our job at home against Olympiakos yesterdays result counts for nothing. 1-0 at home sees us through. If the Greeks score we need 3 goals. Does anybody here remember St Etienne?

No one at St Etienne will ever forget.

Is Davie eligible to come on for the last 15 though!?!

The scenario is clear to my inner eyes. We come out with great aggression scoring a goal before 10 mins gone. Then things calm down, we look to be in control. 1-0 up and through at halftime. Then, in the beginning of the 2nd half disaster. A wonderful equalizer from the Greeks. We respond quickly with a second goal. Olympiakos then does whatever they can to keep the score at 2-1 and we struggle to find an opening. Then as the clock is running out, supersub! As you point out only question is who’s our supersub this time, couldn't be good old David this time could it?

Friends, I feel it in my bones. We’re facing one hell of a match, enjoy it! Sadly I’ve got no chance to be at Anfield myself, I’ll have to settle for TV-coverage. To those of you who’s actually going there, I envy you!

Isn't it strange that the people who write for the official site as well as newspapers like The Telegraph haven't checked the UEFA Champions League rules and found out that a 1-0 win will indeed be enough?

Maybe an obsession with "history repeating itself" when we had to beat Roma with 2 goals blurs their vision. Crap journalism no matter what the reason.

If we win 1-0 having scored in the 72nd minute and the cow flys over the moon with a silver spoon but Monaco go to the airport without hand luggage then we’re through. BUT if for some reason we win 2-0 and the stars aren’t aligned to the sign of Leo passing through the constellation of Orion, then we’re fucked and we lose 5-1.

Blah, blah fucking blah.

THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE IS A FUCKING DISGRACE.

Here’s a radical idea. Why not win a game and then progress to the next round. Lose a game and you’re out!! WOWEE!!!! Can you imagine that?! It’d be almost like a real competition then wouldn’t it!

Blah, blah fucking blah.

THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE IS A FUCKING DISGRACE.

Here’s a radical idea. Why not win a game and then progress to the next round. Lose a game and you’re out!! WOWEE!!!! Can you imagine that?! It’d be almost like a real competition then wouldn’t it!

I totally Agree Tom

Give me back the old school of European an the way to qualify for it as well.

Winers in Euro Cup

2nd NOT

Simple as Bill Said 1st is 1st 2nd is Nowhere.

I totally Agree Tom

Give me back the old school of European an the way to qualify for it as well.

Winers in Euro Cup

2nd NOT

Simple as Bill Said 1st is 1st 2nd is Nowhere.

Amen brother.

I can feel the topic of my rant in the next issue coming on.

The current format is totally undefendable. Unless of course you're a Manc and have to pretend that it's by far the best way to run the comp.

Funny how Mancs are the only people I know who think it's great.

CL= many useless games; teams with nothing to lay for.

But come on Tom, the excitement it generates, the passion, the huge, overflowing crowds teeming with singing, atmosphere. The Della Alpi is a great venue to watch a CL game. If you go, you not only get a seat, you get your own section . I watched the highlights and was able to count the fans in attendance before they were over.