You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How do you get match tickets?

deiseach

With the end of my season ticket quest in sight - I should get one when the Anfield Road redevelopment is done, making it a journey of a mere 22 years - my wife and I got all nostalgic about how it used to be. When I first moved over to Liverpool in 2001, we (independent of one another) used get tickets by sending a letter, a blank cheque and a stamped, self-addressed envelope to the ticket office a couple of days before they went on general sale. A couple of days later two tickets would arrive in the post. How quaint. I have no idea how you'd go about getting A ticket for A match these days. What does everyone else do?

• Upvote 1

Used to do the same, incredibly backward for the time considering the size of the club - just goes to show how inefficiently we were run. 

In a sharp juxtaposition to this, I was able to log in to my account on my phone just now and buy my cup final ticket, all done within 3 minutes! (I will add that when buying league tickets I usually have to queue for about 2 hours). 

13 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Used to do the same, incredibly backward for the time considering the size of the club - just goes to show how inefficiently we were run. 

In a sharp juxtaposition to this, I was able to log in to my account on my phone just now and buy my cup final ticket, all done within 3 minutes! (I will add that when buying league tickets I usually have to queue for about 2 hours). 

3 mins? whats your secret? i'm still in a 1hr queue

logged on at 8.05 initially but window wasn't open. logged in at 10 past to be put in this queue with 8000 people still ahead of me

Binned it off many moons ago. The CL campaign of 2014/15 *shudders* was the watershed moment for me.

Me and the Mrs had credits for a Ludogorets ticket with the previous European campaign two seasons previous. Got Ludo tickets and thought I'll definitely get a ticket for the Madrid game. Came to get my ticket for the Madrid game and the fucking things were sold out. Didn't quite understand how that was possible given I had built up credits for that game yet the cunts had sold out.

Turned out the UEFA cunt family and various other hangers on had decided they wanted extra tickets, so fuck us plebs.

Cunts.

STH or a member is pretty much it now....officially.

Memberships are ok if you have a decent credit history and can afford to lash out in what are bulk sales or sit for ages sometimes in additional members sales if missed out in bulks.

Waits can be horrendous online and system is shite....starting from bottom of ladder so to speak is tough but you can build up if put time in.

Most games have tiered sales - so 13+ credits, then 4, then 2 and so on.

By time most games go down to 'all members' you are scratching around for single tickets in additional sales etc and often looking to pick up from drops due to returns etc.....its time consuming as i know lads who have to do that.

As a kid, living in brum, I’d badger my dad to take me to a match and then when we’d say yes to one, I’d sit at the phone hitting redial over and over and over again until I finally got into the queue. I can still vaguely hear the recorded voice telling the waiting young me which games were on sale to season ticket holders only and which were now on general sale.

when I moved to Liverpool for uni in 1999, I met lads who had dad that were in get LiverPools scheme so could get guaranteed tickets (usually 4) for all home games, so that was us sorted.

One of those lads’ dad had a season ticket too, and after I finished uni I was put for my birthday with mates and he called me as I was in the shop getting booze for a house party and I still owed him for the last match ticket he’d got me, so I didn’t answer assuming he was chasing that up.

i listened to the voicemail as I left the shop and it was him asking me if I wanted to go halves on his season ticket as he wasn’t able to get to Sunday matches and we played quite a lot of them being in the Uefa  cup generally at the time. 

I shared with him for 2 seasons, then he couldn’t make many at all because of other shift changes so I ended up having his ticket all to myself, and then finally he sorted a transfer of the ticket into my name

full time and I’ve had a ST ever since.

that was probably 2005/6.

• Upvote 1

When I started going again in Houllier's last season, I used to get tickets from some strange .tv forum sale. I think they had about 2000 tickets and it was pretty easy to pick one up if you logged in at the right time. I then graduated to the PTS and rang up for tickets or booked them online- 20000 members and 10000 tickets, so you were pretty much guaranteed one. That worked well for a few seasons.

More recently, I spent £30-odd on a membership to sit in front of a screen for a few hours twice a year watching a bar go slowly down until a message flashed up saying all tickets were sold out. Even more recently, I haven't fucking bothered...

• Upvote 1

Always just relied on other people to have spare tickets. I used to go and queue up for ages at the ground but always get European and domestic cup tickets. In that treble season I think I spent over 100 hours queuing up.  Went half's on a season ticket one season even though the fella who owned it hadn't bothered going for years

Been a member for ages but the system is shit and you'll very rarely get a ticket unless it's a team near the bottom of the league we are playing. Basically 30 quid to have the off chance of getting one or a legends game.

Even as a longstanding STH, I cant get extra tickets for games if I wanted to take the old girl or my lad to the odd game. I stopped joining the Auto Cup Scheme years ago as I wasnt bothered about FA Cup and League Cup games and the cost of CL tickets was getting too much.

Im reduced to entering 'win 2 tickets' prize draws the club does from time to time.

Used to just walk up to the ground and and get one outside when I was back in Liverpool visiting family. Don’t laugh but RAWK ticket exchange used to be good, got sorted on there for a time in the 00s for aways. Also went to quite a few aways from friends with season tickets who were able to get sorted. Or used to just ring the away teams ticket line sometimes and go in their end!
Used to be on the PTS as well which was great as more or less guaranteed you tickets for home league games. Then since that’s gone it’s basically a closed shop now isn’t it? Still go on the odd occasion someone I know with a season ticket can’t make it. Very rare now. I had a season ticket letter come through in the late 90s but I jibbed it as I was fucking off travelling for a couple of years with my girlfriend at the time. Really regret doing that now!!

4 hours ago, red_herring said:

3 mins? whats your secret? i'm still in a 1hr queue

logged on at 8.05 initially but window wasn't open. logged in at 10 past to be put in this queue with 8000 people still ahead of me

Literally no idea.  Normally I do it at home from my desktop and it takes ages.  THis time I was waiting for my train to work, just clicked on the link and waiting time was less than a minute when the sale opened.  Must be pure luck and/or because I was using my phone.

I’ve had shared season tickets for different seasons - 2 in total. Aside from that it was easier getting them when I was a lad. I’d often go to the ticket office leading up to match day - the week before and on the day, and usually get returns that way.

I was on the season ticket waiting list from around 2003, then realised I hadn’t heard for while and couldn’t remember my login. Went with my brother when we were back home and asked at the ticket office where we were in the queue - he was 18,000 or so, and had joined the list a few years after me, so I was hopeful because they were just finishing the new stand extension, but lo and behold - I had missed a letter that was sent to an old address a fair few years before that asked us to pay £5 to stay on the list. I’d probably have one now, but the level of being disheartened has meant I’m less motivated now to even try and go. Probably been to about 7 games since then, which was maybe 2015.

As @Bob Spunkmouse did - I’d call the ticket line sometimes too, which was fairly easy enough once you’d redialled about 50 times.

I'm also nearing the end of a 22 year wait for a ST. I've reached the heady heights of position 1,277!

The thing is, since I joined the list I've got married and have got two kids now (both boys, both well into their footy). We're all members and have started to build up our credits from scratch over the last couple of years (we lived abroad for a short while). The boys are obviously desperate to get to as many games as possible and we won't want to lose the loyalty they've built up, however, I don't know how this will work once I get my hands on a season ticket.

Anyone else in a similar position - STH but have kids who are members?
Is there a way we can all go together still, for example to the odd league game they get tickets for?
I presume the ACS will be the only way we can guarantee it?

The usual loads of ringing up then joined the PTS in 2003 and was with it until the club got rid of it. Luckily that meant that my loyalty was 19 so I've been in the 13+ member's sale since that came in. It's a season ticket in all but name as I've had the same seat for the first half of the season and another same seat for the second half of the season. Joined the waiting list in 2003 with a letter but I suspect that the tick box I ticked on a PTS form in 2005 is where my waiting list position comes from. Currently 9500 area on the list.

My first ST cost me £42.50. Home and away from early 80's, then due to the disgusting drug fueled and morally bankrupt rave scene - from about 91 till about 2002 I didn't do many aways, so I fell of the credits for the aways and I've never been able to get back on it.

Fortunately some in the group I go with haven't missed games back till as far as the late 70's and very early 80's and they are well connected in the Dads Army away mob we have following us at aways, so I never struggle for a ticket, bar Arsenal in the semis this season for some reason, which then ended up with me having 3 on me as the Dads army pulled strings. I'm lucky in that respect.

Now I'm one of the oldies and the young'uns in our mob look at me as i used to look at the oldies back in the day. That last line making me feel tragically old and decerped. 

Its a good ticketing network that looks after the match going lads, no touts, no bluffers, just honest match going lads. 

• Upvote 3

Moved back from Sweden because sick family member, silver lining was I qualified for ST along with 3 other member of my family after Main Stand expansion. We were put on the list when I was still at school and finally qualified. We have 4 seats togeather which is pretty great. If one of us can't go I sell it through the club and leave it on our accounts ready for next season.

Before Sweden the terrible phone sales, where you had about 3 dif phones. It would be dial...welcome to ticket line we are to buisy to take call goodbye and would end up with pone bills that cost more than the tickets. Think we used to be on PTS until they changed ratio of tickets to members.

• Upvote 1

Earlier this week,a fellow dog walker who I've known for years said his daughter wanted to take her son (a new red,much to his annoyance,as he's from Glasgow (Celtic) and doesn't like us one bit !) to the upcoming United game and the cheapest tickets she could find online was £360.