You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

This is the law as far as I know and by books, I think it's professional, which he hasn't been....

What constitutes a 'home grown' player? 'Home Grown' means that a player must have been on the books of a club affiliated with the Football Association (England's governing body) for at least three years before they turn 21 – it does not mean that they have to be English.

And it's club not clubs for some competitions.

Elliot didn't qualify for the CL (I think) because we let him go to Blackburn on loan so he hadn't been at the same club.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Doesn't matter when they are English, hence Sancho being classed as Home grown last year e en though he has been in Germany since he was 17. 

I didn't know that. The only reason I first looked at the rule was because I read he wouldn't class as homegrown in a transfer article. The rule was initially implemented as "home grown" as under EU law we were not able to discriminate which country a person is from within the EU for employment reasons. So nationality never played a part, it was purely where you played your football. Maybe this has changed post Brexit. 

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Michael Olise is worth watching. Though probably difficult to get as he only signed for Palace last year

Klopp is definitely watching him, I remember when City played Palace and they asked him about the game he said something along the lines of we watched it for 60 mins and didn’t need to watch the rest and Olise was subbed after an hour….

I can't see anything to suggest that there's a different rule for English players though?

I think the most likely explanation is that it includes youth level football, so both Bellingham and Sancho would qualify.

I'm pretty sure if an English born player didn't spend any of their youth development in England that that they wouldn't qualify though. For instance if Erling Haaland had decided to play for England (he was born in Leeds) I don't think he would count as homegrown.

The whole rule is a bit of a farce.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I'm pretty sure if an English born player didn't spend any of their youth development in England that that they wouldn't qualify though. For instance if Erling Haaland had decided to play for England (he was born in Leeds) I don't think he would count as homegrown.

Eric Dier didn't because he spent his youth in portugal.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Welcome.

Looks very skilful and I like that he’s a right sided attacker, but his numbers on the other hand aren’t great. From what I’ve read he’s a snide, not sure that’s something we’d want at the club especially around our younger players like Elliott, Gordon and Carvalho. 

56 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Looks very skilful and I like that he’s a right sided attacker, but his numbers on the other hand aren’t great. From what I’ve read he’s a snide, not sure that’s something we’d want at the club especially around our younger players like Elliott, Gordon and Carvalho. 

Doesn't seem to possess a right foot, hate watching players trying to contort their body to avoid using the weaker foot.

17 minutes ago, fungus said:

Doesn't seem to possess a right foot, hate watching players trying to contort their body to avoid using the weaker foot.

It's ridiculous 

Even at the levels I played at my Dad was on at me so much and forced me to use my left foot to the point I played on the left as I was able to use it to a similar level. How the fuck these lads makes pro when the can't use their weaker foot is amazing 

6 hours ago, fungus said:

5 hours ago, Lee909 said:

It's ridiculous 

Even at the levels I played at my Dad was on at me so much and forced me to use my left foot to the point I played on the left as I was able to use it to a similar level. How the fuck these lads makes pro when the can't use their weaker foot is amazing 

It's something I've wondered about quite a lot over the last few years.

If you watch old videos of players like Rush and quite a few others it's actually quite hard to definitively say they have a stronger foot and if you read the Geoff Twentyman one of the keys things Liverpool always looked at was being able to "go both ways" <insert Kenneth Williams "oooh" gif here>. Even someone like John Barnes who I think most would think of as left footed, if you watch any compilations of his goals he was absolutely brilliant with his right as well. 

Right now I can't think of any player off the top of my head who seems to be genuinely two footed, or at the very least so good with both feet that they don't seem to have a really dominant foot. 

Seems to be something which has totally left the game.