You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

4 hours ago, Funkasy said:

If Keita gets a new contract, and if i was a youngster at the club trying to force my way into the team i would seriously consider fucking off somewhere else for gametime. because no matter how shit Keita is he will always get ahead of them. 

If they want to fuck off they can of course but there is little/no evidence of Klopp favouring players based on name/reputation/contract etc. Gomez was regular in the title winning season but lost his place as Matip turned

awesome again. Elliott started games ahead of Keita. 

Keita might well be retained as we have 5 subs next season.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

If they want to fuck off they can of course but there is little/no evidence of Klopp favouring players based on name/reputation/contract etc. Gomez was regular in the title winning season but lost his place as Matip turned

awesome again. Elliott started games ahead of Keita. 

Keita might well be retained as we have 5 subs next season.

If Keita is to be retained he will remain what he is, a squad player. The main issue with Keita is the hype ahead of his signing on social media, as well as people claiming he was next Steven Gerrard based on YouTube comps. Had we bought him from Southampton for £20m, then people would he more forgiving IMO. He had a good season overall this year, and when fit he’s as a good a fourth choice midfielder as you’re likely to find anywhere. If we want to compete in all competitions again, then it’d be silly to get rid of him. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, aRdja said:

If Keita is to be retained he will remain what he is, a squad player. The main issue with Keita is the hype ahead of his signing on social media, as well as people claiming he was next Steven Gerrard based on YouTube comps. Had we bought him from Southampton for £20m, then people would he more forgiving IMO. He had a good season overall this year, and when fit he’s as a good a fourth choice midfielder as you’re likely to find anywhere. If we want to compete in all competitions again, then it’d be silly to get rid of him. 

I would have been disappointed even if he came here on a free, baffles me that he continues to play for this club.

41 minutes ago, fungus said:

I would have been disappointed even if he came here on a free, baffles me that he continues to play for this club.

Absolute fraud, makes a couple passes in the match and all the stat virgins wank him off, Naby lad Naby lad !! 

Get rid he’s fucking shite him.

8 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

A few sites suggesting that João Pedro from Watford Is a target for us.

From what I've seen he looks like a decent player, but quite far from being a Mane replacement. He'd need to kick on a lot.

Don't see us going for another right footed attacker who cuts in from the left either. We've got Diaz, Jota and now Carvalho for that role.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

From what I've seen he looks like a decent player, but quite far from being a Mane replacement. He'd need to kick on a lot.

Don't see us going for another right footed attacker who cuts in from the left either. We've got Diaz, Jota and now Carvalho for that role.

Is he a winger then? 

The available options out there aren't great really. IMO we could do a lot worse than just keeping our powder dry and putting the Mane money towards a Salah replacement next summer.

Bobby can still contribute a lot when he's not injured, Jota is good through the middle too. Diaz with a full pre season under his belt should be able to contribute even more than he has been.

As much as we'd all love a 22 year old version of Lewandowski to come in, realistically that player is simply not out there right now.

Just now, joe_fishfish said:

The available options out there aren't great really. IMO we could do a lot worse than just keeping our powder dry and putting the Mane money towards a Salah replacement next summer.

Bobby can still contribute a lot when he's not injured, Jota is good through the middle too. Diaz with a full pre season under his belt should be able to contribute even more than he has been.

As much as we'd all love a 22 year old version of Lewandowski to come in, realistically that player is simply not out there right now.

To be fair, neither was Lewandowski when Dortmund bought him. 

8 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

The club literally spends millions on watching players all over the world, lack of options is never an excuse. Lack of conditions to sign the right player is a different matter but I’d be willing to bet that the club will be able to identify several players who can be options as a forward for Liverpool. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Bobby has  been poor for more than 2 years except the odd game. If we have to rely on him ….

• Upvote 1

Like all our 'main' signings we'll be looking at players in the early to mid 20's, probably in the £30-£50 million range who the recruitment team think can develop into World Class players.

Occasionally, very occasionally, they might identify a player they consider as transformative and will push the boat out but 99 times out of a hundred we'll be shopping in the first group.

21 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

The club literally spends millions on watching players all over the world, lack of options is never an excuse. Lack of conditions to sign the right player is a different matter but I’d be willing to bet that the club will be able to identify several players who can be options as a forward for Liverpool. 

Yep, that's my view. There'll barely be a Sunday league footballer they don't know about and they know the character of these guys to know when they're ready to step up. For me that is what the data driven side should bring. It should narrow the field, so we are then able to target our scouting and use resources to understand the character of the player, rather than scouts watching endless matches in the hope of finding someone.

I've never accepted this idea that nobody is out there or good enough to make our line up. We sign players all the time who show that it's very possible. Most of them before they're linked would barely cross the mind of any football fan. That's not knocking anyone, it's just we all have jobs to do and don't have the resources of a football club with literally billions of data points to direct where we should be looking, then the time to watch. 

20 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Fair. There was a lot more scope to develop at Dortmund, though. Anyone we bring in this summer is going to have to be basically world class already or they're going to struggle to get in the team. And players don't learn very much if they're not playing.

Are they going to struggle to get into the team? Bobby has barely scored at Anfield in 3 years, he's probably scored less than minamino. And Jota has proven to be a streaky scorer with a limited all round game h so when he's scoring great, when he's not he barely contributes.

If I was someone at a lower level who was consistently performing at my club, I'd be fancying my chances to get past either of those. I'd be pretty confident having klopp here would help that player make the leap. Nobody consider Diaz would push mane off the left wing, but he did. Nobody thought Jota would be in front of Bobby as an option, but he is.

Klopp has consistently throughout his time at Dortmund and Liverpool (maybe at mainz too, but I don't know about them) found some otherwise regarded ordinary forwards and turned them in to top class players. I've absolute faith he can do the same again now. 

I think part of the consideration that plays into 'good enough' is 'ready'.

They probably have list after list of players considered potentially good enough but the scarcity comes when you cross reference that with availability and readiness.

Is bringing them in too early going to be detrimental to their development and, more importantly for the club, does it become a bad investment.

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I think part of the consideration that plays into 'good enough' is 'ready'.

They probably have list after list of players considered potentially good enough but the scarcity comes when you cross reference that with availability and readiness.

Is bringing them in too early going to be detrimental to their development and, more importantly for the club, does it become a bad investment.

Honestly this is where the manager comes in. None of it is an exact science. Some players can be ruling the world at 18 like a Michael Owen or Wayne Rooney. Others take longer. The managers job is to take those scouting and data reports and translate that into viable players to improve our team. Does it mean this player will come in and be as good as mane on day 1? Well probably not, but I don't think there's many if any players on the planet who would do that. So we have to accept whoever is joining is on a learning curve. He might do a large part of that in just preseason. It might take half or a full season. But if the manager thinks he can work with them, then we'll be fine. And klopp doesn't strike me as the sort of fella who lacks confidence in his ability or hides away from a challenge. 

Chances are we will sign someone nobody has thought of or has already dismissed as not good enough. But klopp improves forwards like no other manager in the game, so it makes any leap much smaller than it would be elsewhere. 

We're in a golden era at the moment. We can't afford a year or two in transition and risk losing that momentum, so we'll clearly need to spend big on a new attacker to keep us as competitive as we've been.

Agree with Barrington though, it's highly unlikely they'll initially be as brilliant as Mane has been for us. 

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

No Mane, Origi gone and no new signing. I'm out I'm afraid. 

The fact that it's going to be the first five-subs-a-game season can't be underestimated IMHO. Our bench finally looked almost-great in the second half of last season, but that strength has started to ebb soon after it appeared - Origi gone, Mane probably gone, Ox possibly gone, Minamino maybe going, Milner fading - that's a heck of a lot of work just to stay where we are. I just hope Klopp and Ward get the backing they need, because there can't be a choice between quality and quantity - we need both.