You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

10 minutes ago, m0e said:

That's not a fair assumption considering a) there is no real previous for Klopp selling his players with time left on their contracts, and b) we intentionally don't include release clauses while making it clear they are expected to honour their contracts.

That's where I think Mane is going to run into a spot of bother this summer.

Klopp has a history of talking about his 12 month contract with players. He also has a history of not wanting to keep a player who doesn't want to be here. And removing the exit clause allows the club the power as it did with both Suarez and coutinho, allowing them to get larger fees down the line. But in the case of the last 3 years, the market vanished. 

You may be right about mane, but I think pragmatism will play a part and we won't want to go into next summer needing to replace both with no money coming inbound. There is of course the slight piece that Julian ward perhaps wants to make his mark as a tough negotiator, so I've no doubt there'll be some type of battle ahead, but I just don't believe we will be willing to lose both next summer for free. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Klopp has a history of talking about his 12 month contract with players. He also has a history of not wanting to keep a player who doesn't want to be here. And removing the exit clause allows the club the power as it did with both Suarez and coutinho, allowing them to get larger fees down the line. But in the case of the last 3 years, the market vanished. 

You may be right about mane, but I think pragmatism will play a part and we won't want to go into next summer needing to replace both with no money coming inbound. There is of course the slight piece that Julian ward perhaps wants to make his mark as a tough negotiator, so I've no doubt there'll be some type of battle ahead, but I just don't believe we will be willing to lose both next summer for free. 

a) Suarez had a relase clause.

b) release clauses typically have to paid up front, so you could argue its a clear advantage to the selling club

c) Coutinho had to feign an injury and it still took him 6 months to get his move at an absolutely insane valuation.

As for the "market vanishing", Google the biggest transfers of 2020 and 2021 and show me where the vanishing happened exactly.

I'll save you the time, it didn't. Clubs spent millions. Even Napoli spent 70 million on that Nigerian striker.

5 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I think we're looking at this wrong.  

I think the plan should be to keep Mane and Salah for the next year, and also buy their replacements this year

Mane and Salah are then in a position where they have to perform to their highest level in order to get the big wage move next year. 

We get that benefit for the team, and we also get a year, or 6 months if we buy in the winter, of their replacements bedding into the club and learning from two high performing players who we can afford to rest for a few more games as we get to the business end of the season.  

We already bought one of their replacements in Diaz.

You could argue Jota was the replacement for the other one, actually. Even when Mane goes, Diaz Jota Salah is good enough to win you the league. The problem is that you either need Harvey or Carvalho to be absolutely brilliant next season as 4th choice (unlikely) or zero medium- or long-term injuries in that front 3 for the whole season (also unlikely).

I think it's clear we'll buy another attacking player when Mane is sold, but it won't be his "replacement." It'll be another young player with the potential to be the next Mane in 2-3 years when he reaches his peak. That player will then be expected to be 4th choice and to play a lot of minutes, but not to be depended on to the extent Mane is in our current team. And then you've still got Firmino and the younger lads to come in and give those four a rest now and then.

I want a number 9. Someone central who bullies defences. "We don't play like that"

Firmino is done, a bit part player maybe but constant first 11 no chance. Salah I'm not arsed what he does, he's diminished in my eyes. Keep him for a year play him let him go. I wouldn't even be bothered about his situation but for the implied threat of joining a rival, just a shitty thing to do this week.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I want a number 9. Someone central who bullies defences. "We don't play like that"

Firmino is done, a bit part player maybe but constant first 11 no chance. Salah I'm not arsed what he does, he's diminished in my eyes. Keep him for a year play him let him go. I wouldn't even be bothered about his situation but for the implied threat of joining a rival, just a shitty thing to do this week.

Big lad from Brentford ? 

8 hours ago, aRdja said:

Jota, Salah, Diaz and Mane thrive when there’s space to run into. We need something a little bit different IMO. Darwin Nunez despite his size sounds like more of the same.

We need players to get to the byline and cut it back. 

We need someone capable of scoring regularly from free kicks, because that's not Trent.

More importantly, we need to exploit the first 10 mins before a team settles into a defensive unit. 

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

There aren't many 'number 9s' in the best teams in world football 'bullying' central defenders any more. The ideal one would be one who can link the play, hold it up back to goal, and run in behind.

Nunez looks like he could do that but would need to adapt his game a bit. 

The player who best fits the description as a number 9 is Sadio Mane and that's the problem we have. We already replaced him at left wing. How do we replace him with something as good as or ideally better at number 9, with the money and wages we are willing to pay

9 hours ago, m0e said:

a) Suarez had a relase clause.

b) release clauses typically have to paid up front, so you could argue its a clear advantage to the selling club

c) Coutinho had to feign an injury and it still took him 6 months to get his move at an absolutely insane valuation.

As for the "market vanishing", Google the biggest transfers of 2020 and 2021 and show me where the vanishing happened exactly.

I'll save you the time, it didn't. Clubs spent millions. Even Napoli spent 70 million on that Nigerian striker.

Suarez did not have a release clauses in his first deal. He had a badly phrased clause that only forced the club to listen to offers, which is why we were able to turn down arsenal. The output of this to stop him being a cunt was to give him a new contract with a release clause. 

Coutinho still left with no clause and I'm sure would have left that summer had he not agreed his "12 month contract" with klopp. He'd agreed to stay and then went back on that. 

The market did vanish with the very top of the market. No mega stars moved at all - unless they were free transfers or fire sales like we saw with the 3 big exits from Barca. 

37 minutes ago, etho said:

There aren't many 'number 9s' in the best teams in world football 'bullying' central defenders any more. The ideal one would be one who can link the play, hold it up back to goal, and run in behind.

Nunez looks like he could do that but would need to adapt his game a bit. 

The player who best fits the description as a number 9 is Sadio Mane and that's the problem we have. We already replaced him at left wing. How do we replace him with something as good as or ideally better at number 9, with the money and wages we are willing to pay

To be fair we replaced mane on the right wing and left wing. There's no reason to think we can't replace him through the middle. 

Personally, I'm not convinced we'll replace Mane, we already did that with Diaz, we have Carvalho coming & we have Kaide Gordon, who we obviously have high hopes for.

I hope I'm wrong and we do go for somebody else. From his performance at Anfield, I'd be delighted with Darwin Nunez. I've never heard of this Martin Terrier fella we supposedly like. I don't think we'd pay the money Bowen or Nkunku.

We also have midfield still to address, especially if there are a couple of outgoings there.

Seeing De Jong might be forced into accepting moving to the mancs as Barca still need the money.

Is he more of a 6 or 8? 

No idea how good he is but it'd be brilliant to do a Diaz / Spurs and gazump them at the last moment.

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It's Bamford time 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Seeing De Jong might be forced into accepting moving to the mancs as Barca still need the money.

Is he more of a 6 or 8? 

No idea how good he is but it'd be brilliant to do a Diaz / Spurs and gazump them at the last moment.

De Jong is a really good player, he'd play as an 8 for us. Not sure he has the physicality for a Premier League defensive midfield role.

The thing is he's on £180k a week at Barca, would be unlikely to take a pay cut and isn't really good enough to warrant that kind of wage here. I'm not sure Thiago or Fabinho are on that and they're both better than him.

16 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

De Jong is a really good player, he'd play as an 8 for us. Not sure he has the physicality for a Premier League defensive midfield role.

The thing is he's on £180k a week at Barca, would be unlikely to take a pay cut and isn't really good enough to warrant that kind of wage here. I'm not sure Thiago or Fabinho are on that and they're both better than him.

Just been looking at him on Transfer Market. 

He seems a big lad (>6ft), 25 and rarely injured. I'm sure we could stick a few pounds of muscle on in.

Given he's shown he can do a pressing role at Ajax and if we were allegedly prepared to pay a similar amount for Tchouameni, I'd be surprised if we weren't interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

We need players to get to the byline and cut it back. 

We need someone capable of scoring regularly from free kicks, because that's not Trent.

More importantly, we need to exploit the first 10 mins before a team settles into a defensive unit. 

Ward-Prowse must be worth £10 million for his free kicks alone.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Ward-Prowse must be worth £10 million for his free kicks alone.

The minute the Premier League introduce designated set piece takers that you can wheel on and off the pitch, like in the NFL, Prowse will be worth £100 million. Until then he'll always be just a bit shit.

12 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Just been looking at him on Transfer Market. 

He seems a big lad (>6ft) and rarely injured. I'm sure we could stick a few pounds of muscle on in.

Given he's shown he can do a pressing role at Ajax and if we were allegedly prepared to pay a similar amount for Tchouameni, I'd be surprised if we weren't interested.

It's whether you can accommodate him and Thiago.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

It's whether you can accommodate him and Thiago.

In what way?

Thiago, for all his quality, has never had the best fitness record.

Hendo is 32 this month and rarely plays 90 mins these days.

De Jong has also played a substantial part of his career at 6, so he could deputise for Fabinho.

IMO, there is plenty of room for all of them in the squad & we need to do something to tackle the complete lack of control we have in games when Thaigo isn't available.

If you look at the squad as a whole now alot of our "star" names are turning 30/31 this year which isn't exactly ancient but it's the time to start to freshen it up Hendo 32 Thiago 31 (both missed chunks of the last 2 seasons with injuries) Naby is in all honesty a bit poo, the midfield is screaming out for fresh legs/faces De Jong is class could do with bulking up a bit but could do the Thiago or Fabinho roles meaning we're not as reliant on them to play every game, Nunez looks probably the best forward out there in our price / wage range and even Dembele if we can keep him fit would be miles better than Sarr from Watford who's another name linked today. I'm sure Klopp and Ward will get it right I've never trusted a manager to sign the right players as much as I do with Klopp.

15 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

In what way?

Thiago, for all his quality, has never had the best fitness record.

Hendo is 32 this month and rarely plays 90 mins these days.

De Jong has also played a substantial part of his career at 6, so he could deputise for Fabinho.

IMO, there is plenty of room for all of them in the squad & we need to do something to tackle the complete lack of control we have in games when Thaigo isn't available.

Pirlo was a '6'* and Dunga was a '6'* but they were about as far removed as you could have as players, your starting position means very little compared to your role in the team.

Thiago and De Jong fulfil the same role on the pitch they're both the metronome that dictates play so having both on the pitch at the same time makes one redundant, likewise committing a significant portion of your funds to having two players who operate in the same way (they'd both be amongst the highest earners on top of a 70m+ fee) would take away from the ability to strengthen the midfield with the type of player we're missing.

Ultimately it comes down to want vs need, I'd want de Jong, I don't think we need de Jong. If we could find a cheaper version to be understudy to Thiago then by all means but shopping at the top end probably isn't the way to go about it.

(* or 4 depending on your preference)