You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Page 90 and this is the 1st time I've looked at this thread. Has Saka been linked with us recently? I'd have thought arsenal missing out on CL would give us a chance to go after him. I'm sure klopp would have him prove his numbers. 

Good shout. Stick £1 on his release price for good measure. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, coachpotato said:

The players have every day to practise shooting as well as all the finer tactical points. If you’re a professional footballer, you should be able to at least make the keeper work when presented with a chance as reasonable as that Keita had the other night. Any professional footballer should.

They are paid mega bucks to be footballers, shooting should be a basic skill they get right most, if not every, time, it’s like saying an electrician might not connect a switch up right every time.

An electrician who had been trained over many years to connect a switch would be expected to do it competently.  

A footballer - trained for years to play football - should be expected to hit the top corner, or even the goal, even accounting for variations in conditions, height of the ball, pressure from opposing players etc etc.  Most of them can't be relied on to hit the target.  Some of them can be relied on to miss.  Now if we adopt the process we have with the electrician; i.e. refuse to pay him if he fucks up, then I guarantee we'd see a widespread increase in technique.

• Upvote 2

I think this is a massive summer as far as transfers go, it looks like Mane and possible that Salah could be moved on if he doesn't sign a contract regardless of what he says about being here next year, Bobby has struggled massively for 2 years and in my opinion (which counts for nothing really) won't recapture the form of the title-winning season, Divok has gone and I think Taki might go due to lack of game time this leaves Diaz and Jota. We need to freshen up in midfield and up top, I'd like to see a Nunez type and a creative number 10 brought in some big decision to be made I'm sure Klopp gets it right just hope he's given the money to go all out like we did the summer Ali Fabinho came in.

17 hours ago, gkmacca said:

That's not taking the example to the extreme, it's conflating all degrees of poorly exploited technique with flukes. If you genuinely think top flight professional footballers, who are internationals, and who train every day with the most exacting coaches, fluke a shot every once in a blue moon like blokes in pub teams, but don't have technique, then that's a mighty deep rabbit hole you've slipped down. And there's a scandal at the club that no doubt those who have a subscription at the Athletic will soon be reading. So let's agree to differ beforre we shock each other any further.

Poorly exploited technique is bad technique.  We all know how it should be done, so in that sense we all have the technique, we it's the consistency and reliability with which it is applied that differentiates a Sunday league player from a championship player from a premier league player.  

• Upvote 2

Salah's not going. Even if we want to sell him now, he'll resist so that he gets his big payday, either eventually from us, or from leaving on a free.

And we'll probably oblige him anyway because losing both Mané and Salah in one summer is a recipe for finishing 5th and losing in the round of 16 of the Champions League.

3 hours ago, El Rojo said:

I'd like to see us move for Ward-Prowse if Keita moved on. 

Scalpel of a right foot, dead ball expert and already a leader in his current team. Anticipating loads of disparaging comments on this idea, most of which could have been and probably were applied to James Milner in 2015. Cut from a similar cloth, for me. 

When we played Southampton I'd genuinely forgotten he was playing they won a freekick late in the game.

For all the great work done by the club over the last 5 years as it comes to transfers, allowing so many 1st team players to get to the end of their contracts at the same time is pretty bad management. COVID didn't help as I don't doubt one of the front 3 would have been sold to restock and then pad some contracts. Challenge now is without the income from a big sale we've potentially a lot of gaps to fill over the next two years if Salah leaves on a free and Mane leaves for the 50 million euros we're asking for. 

58 minutes ago, Salou said:

For all the great work done by the club over the last 5 years as it comes to transfers, allowing so many 1st team players to get to the end of their contracts at the same time is pretty bad management. COVID didn't help as I don't doubt one of the front 3 would have been sold to restock and then pad some contracts. Challenge now is without the income from a big sale we've potentially a lot of gaps to fill over the next two years if Salah leaves on a free and Mane leaves for the 50 million euros we're asking for. 

I don't like to defend the owners, but putting salaries to one side for a minute, I think they're in a no win situation with the contract lengths. I think we've just been a tad unlucky that our 3 main forwards of the klopp era are pretty much all the same age and have stuck with us, then it would seem the 2 main ones want to go at the same time . I'm sure the expectation wasn't that they would all still be here at this point when we signed their last contracts and as the contracts run down, it's harder and harder to strike a deal. I feel sure our plan was to sell one of them before now. 

There's maybe a different discussion around what the club could or couldn't do to give a salary for at least one of mane or Salah to stay, but you can't force a player to sign when they don't want to. You can't force them to leave if they want to see out their contract. And we were all pretty happy when all 3 of them renewed their deals for 4 years within months of each other 3 years ago. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think we've just been a tad unlucky that our 3 main forwards of the klopp era are pretty much all the same age and have stuck with us.

The first part was by design. The second part was by design. Why is it about luck?

I think we're looking at this wrong.  

I think the plan should be to keep Mane and Salah for the next year, and also buy their replacements this year. 

Mane and Salah are then in a position where they have to perform to their highest level in order to get the big wage move next year. 

We get that benefit for the team, and we also get a year, or 6 months if we buy in the winter, of their replacements bedding into the club and learning from two high performing players who we can afford to rest for a few more games as we get to the business end of the season.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, m0e said:

The first part was by design. The second part was by design. Why is it about luck?

Because I don't believe we had planned for all 3 of them to still be here and we would have expected one would have tried to persue a move elsewhere by now and been replaced. Covid probably got in the way of that - both in terms of the slow down in player moves generally, but also seemed to be the tipping point for the big Spanish 2 in terms of their ability to throw money around. 

So my assumption is when we re-signed all three 3 years ago, we'd have expected one maybe two to have moved on by now. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Because I don't believe we had planned for all 3 of them to still be here and we would have expected one would have tried to persue a move elsewhere by now and been replaced. Covid probably got in the way of that - both in terms of the slow down inmpkayers.moves generally, but also seemed to be the tipping point for the big Spanish 2 in terms of their ability to throw money around. 

So my assumption is when we re-signed all three 3 years ago, we'd have expected one maybe two to have moved on by now. 

That's not a fair assumption considering a) there is no real previous for Klopp selling his players with time left on their contracts, and b) we intentionally don't include release clauses while making it clear they are expected to honour their contracts.

That's where I think Mane is going to run into a spot of bother this summer.

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Because I don't believe we had planned for all 3 of them to still be here and we would have expected one would have tried to persue a move elsewhere by now and been replaced. Covid probably got in the way of that - both in terms of the slow down in player moves generally, but also seemed to be the tipping point for the big Spanish 2 in terms of their ability to throw money around. 

This makes sense, I don't doubt that one of the front 3 would have been sold if there was no pandemic, if Mane or Salah then we would have brought in a 100 million+

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Salou said:

This makes sense, I don't doubt that one of the front 3 would have been sold if there was no pandemic, if Mane or Salah then we would have brought in a 100 million+

Yeah, because no transfers happened for 10s of millions of pounds during the pandemic.