You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He isn't worth that much money. I reckon he could be good but he came on earlier and apart from his goal he was shit, he couldn't find a pass against a non-league side. I don't know. English player premium.... 

He played really well against us and Chelsea. I think he's very well suited to the system that Moyes plays at West Ham and Soutgate plays for England, how he'd look playing for a team like us or City, I'm not sure?

22 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

He played really well against us and Chelsea. I think he's very well suited to the system that Moyes plays at West Ham and Soutgate plays for England, how he'd look playing for a team like us or City, I'm not sure?

He's made it pretty clear he's going to Chelsea. He's from Kingston and doesn't want to move too far away from his roots. Chelsea usead to train at Kingstonian, until they went further into Surrey. He needs the prosepect of a proper Klopp hug to move to us.

Hugs and Anger: The Jürgen Klopp Story - The Liverpool Offside

or 

Tuchel explains secret to Chelsea clean sheet after win over Man City

Shame hugs and being not weird are not the criteria.

9 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

I think Firmino will leave in the summer. 

Might need 2 midfielders as Milner is retiring/leaving, Keita offers nothing and Chamberlain doesn't do much either. 

Pains me to say it but I agree on the Dazzler. Pretty sure the Carvalho kid will be incoming.

If we could shift one of Keita or Ox we would replace them.

Otherwise it is - Fabinho, Thiago, Elliott, Henderson, Jones, Keita, Ox - 7 players for 3 spots.

Lot of chatter about a 4-2-3-1 (including in that Fabrizio Romano video above) and a longer-term switch to that, which would imply some rejigging of the midfield anyway, no?

I think for the wide players up front it would be Mane/Salah/Jota/Diaz/Minamino/Gordon - that seems like good depth for those positions. Then in at centre forward it's maybe Jota/Firmino/? - seems at least one (possibly young?) player light there, assuming Origi is going.

Midfield is where it's less clear. If you're playing 2 at the base of midfield, then Fabinho/Thiago seems outstanding as a first choice pairing. Hendo as backup. Beyond that? A bit sketchier. You'd have to say all of Ox, Elliott, Keita and Jones all make more sense as the 8s in a 4-3-3 than they do in the 2 of a 4-2-3-1. So you have a bunch of players at the #10 in that role (including Fabio Carvalho, assuming he comes in) and then not as many who are good in the defensive pairing. That's why it would be surprising to me if we switch to a 4-2-3-1, even though there's been a lot of commentary implying that's the direction we're moving.

If it does happen that Jurgen moves that way, I think the clearest sign would be another deeper-lying midfielder (Tchouameni?) and possibly another central striker option being signed this summer.

15 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Lot of chatter about a 4-2-3-1 (including in that Fabrizio Romano video above) and a longer-term switch to that, which would imply some rejigging of the midfield anyway, no?

I think for the wide players up front it would be Mane/Salah/Jota/Diaz/Minamino/Gordon - that seems like good depth for those positions. Then in at centre forward it's maybe Jota/Firmino/? - seems at least one (possibly young?) player light there, assuming Origi is going.

Midfield is where it's less clear. If you're playing 2 at the base of midfield, then Fabinho/Thiago seems outstanding as a first choice pairing. Hendo as backup. Beyond that? A bit sketchier. You'd have to say all of Ox, Elliott, Keita and Jones all make more sense as the 8s in a 4-3-3 than they do in the 2 of a 4-2-3-1. So you have a bunch of players at the #10 in that role (including Fabio Carvalho, assuming he comes in) and then not as many who are good in the defensive pairing. That's why it would be surprising to me if we switch to a 4-2-3-1, even though there's been a lot of commentary implying that's the direction we're moving.

If it does happen that Jurgen moves that way, I think the clearest sign would be another deeper-lying midfielder (Tchouameni?) and possibly another central striker option being signed this summer.

Yeah, you would think there'd be a somewhat big change to the squad if we were switching to 4-2-3-1. For starters, from my understanding about 4-2-3-1, our forwards aren't super well suited to it. Just assuming the forwards stay the same, I'm thinking notably of Salah and Jota. Mane and Diaz would be great fits in a deeper left midfield role and Firmino fine as a 10. I'm not sure it would get the best out of Salah or Jota because I wouldn't want to play those two on the wing, taking them further away from goal, and playing them alone up front would isolate them. Would we buy a striker then? Maybe. 

The positive about it to me would be we'd have an excuse to get rid of some midfielders, given we would play with just two and we could add some creative players instead, one being Carvalho. I'm sure Elliott could play in the #10 role as well. 

This side wouldn't concede many goals:

Jota

Mane            Elliot         Salah

Tchouameni Fabinho

Robertson  Van Dijk  Matip  Trent

Alisson

Maybe that's why we're linked with Dybala. He's not really a number 9, but he'd make an amazing number 10. 

You aren't getting the best out of Salah playing him right midfield in a 4-2-3-1. From how Diaz profiles stats wise he does all of his best work as far forward as he can get. I know formations are neutral etc but I really don't think 4-2-3-1 is the way to go in the modern game, it's had its day.

I think it's more likely we see Elliott and Carvalho (if he arrives) turned into box-to-box centre mids than we go to 4-2-3-1.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we start a number of games with the below line up next season, probably against shit teams. 

Jota  Salah

Diaz                             Elliot

Thiago   Fabinho

Robertson  Van Dijk  Konate  Trent

Alisson

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we start a number of games with the below line up next season, probably against shit teams. 

Jota  Salah

Thiago   Fabinho

Alisson

No Mane?

In his very limited game time thus far Elliott has looked far better as an attacking midfielder in the 8 role rather than as a wide forward.

9 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Jota  Salah

Thiago   Fabinho

Alisson

If you turn the front six anticlockwise slightly this is a 4-3-3.

You can set up with very little difference in a 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3. 

Mane/Salah play the same game. It just means Thiago/Hendo play more conservative like Gini would and the other midfielder pushes further forward when we have the ball with a free role behind the striker

Jota

Mane          Dybala         Salah

Tchouameni Fabinho

Robertson  Van Dijk  Matip  Trent

Alisson

This team is virtually unbeatable.  The back five are the best back five in the world. The two dm's are imperious defensively. Mane, Dybala and Salah will rip teams apart and then you have the Portuguese Fowler upfront. It's game over unless City get Haaland.