Jump to content
AngryOfTuebrook

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

Recommended Posts

Just now, TD_LFC said:

61b0f0d3844294291b0b9bfb1ca34e42.gif

 

Seriously though it's Real Madrid tactics 101, charm the player so he declares he wants to join then when you have the player convinced talk the transfer fee down with the selling club believing the player has made up his mind.

Yeah, they do it well. We should be doing the same in this era. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Few reports saying Real Madrid are refusing to pay the €80m for Tchouameni. 

Doubt we'd pay that either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Few reports saying Real Madrid are refusing to pay the €80m for Tchouameni. 

I wouldn't read too much into that. It's most likely Madrid being cunts again by agreeing terms with the player and use that to reduce the transfer fee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I agree with your overall point 100%, I do think though that Haaland might just be good and prolific enough that he might transcend the need to fit City's style completely. He's a pretty special player, I think it remains to be seen. 

 

I also think Mane has done a phenomenal job at providing some of the technique and nuance we require from centre forward, to keep our play fluid. Jota to me does a bad job at this pretty much all the time and that's his main problem, although obviously he has other qualities, notably his play in the penalty area.

 

But yeah, it's hard to believe you'd see the best teams of the decade, with technical strikers like Suarez, Benzema, City's teams who have all technical forwards or play a midfielder up front, Messi playing false 9, forwards who are wizards all over the pitch, and then our best teams with Firmino up front, and then conclude we just need someone up top who is quick and who finishes chances. You need way more than that.  

Suarez was and Benzema is way more prolific than Firmino ever was for for us. Not a like-for-like comparison.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Suarez was and Benzema is way more prolific than Firmino ever was for for us. Not a like-for-like comparison.

The point wasn't the goal scoring, it was how complete and technically gifted those forwards I listed are/were and how important that is to their team. Those strikers skills transcend goalscoring and make/made their team better in all aspects. Firmino has been the same. Real Madrid won the European Cup one season where Benzema scored 12 goals in all comps. They won La Liga one year when he scored 11 in the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

The point wasn't the goal scoring, it was how complete and technically gifted those forwards I listed are/were and how important that is to their team. Those strikers skills transcend goalscoring and make/made their team better in all aspects. Firmino has been the same. Real Madrid won the European Cup one season where Benzema scored 12 goals in all comps. They won La Liga one year when he scored 11 in the league. 

Yeah, and like with Mane/Salah now, most people were in awe of Ronaldo's goalscoring stats, thinking they needed a better striker up top so they could add even more goals to their team. Turns out not everyone in a front three can score 30 a piece...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I agree with your overall point 100%, I do think though that Haaland might just be good and prolific enough that he might transcend the need to fit City's style completely. He's a pretty special player, I think it remains to be seen. 

 

Oh, I doubt he'll be a flop, unless his injury woes continue.

 

He won't fit their style when playing against the low block teams, that's for sure. He might get them a goal or two they wouldn't normally get due to his sheer pace, physicality and movement for those famed tap-ins (Sterling normally scores those anyway). He'll be like a bull in a China shop in those games.

 

It's in the games against us, Arsenal (if they continue to play like they do now), Brighton, possibly the Mancs (depending on the Ten Hag project) and in a couple of the European games where he'll be able to make a positive difference to what they already have. Get him in transition with De Bruyne feeding him the ball and even Virgil and Konate will be tested. It will be a hell of a lot easier to play through their press though.

 

In total, I think the difference will be marginal. I've made the same point repeatedly since his name first came up being linked with us. He wasn't a right fit for us, hopefully he's the second coming of Ibrahimovic for Pep.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frenkie De Jong seems like is being pushed out by Barca. 

 

Will probably end up at Man United with his boy Ten Hag, but I wonder if we'd consider him. We rarely seem to act on opportunities in the market, and this is an opportunity, so probably not. Unless we've been following him long term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Frenkie De Jong seems like is being pushed out by Barca. 

 

Will probably end up at Man United with his boy Ten Hag, but I wonder if we'd consider him. We rarely seem to act on opportunities in the market, and this is an opportunity, so probably not. Unless we've been following him long term.

Isn't it our M.O?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Isn't it our M.O?

What? Opportunities? Nah, usually we go for long term targets, not good players who suddenly become available due to circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 3 Stacks said:

What? Opportunities? Nah, usually we go for long term targets, not good players who suddenly become available due to circumstances.

Maybe we're talking at cross purposes then because I don't consider a player we're not looking at and haven't scouted as an opportunity, it's a risk.

 

Diaz was an opportunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

What? Opportunities? Nah, usually we go for long term targets, not good players who suddenly become available due to circumstances.

Like Thiago? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Frenkie De Jong seems like is being pushed out by Barca. 

 

Will probably end up at Man United with his boy Ten Hag, but I wonder if we'd consider him. We rarely seem to act on opportunities in the market, and this is an opportunity, so probably not. Unless we've been following him long term.

He's on like £180k a week at Barca, i don't think we'd go that high for him. Excellent player though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/05/2022 at 20:57, Harry Squatter said:

Few reports saying Real Madrid are refusing to pay the €80m for Tchouameni. 

You might say that's above our prince range, about 30m euros Tchouameni

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×