You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

12 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Watching the Spurs game yesterday I had a really dirty thought.

If we replaced Bobby with Harry Kane we would need a new Trophy cabinet.

Is that where we'd keep Harry Kane?

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Watching the Spurs game yesterday I had a really dirty thought.

If we replaced Bobby with Harry Kane we would need a new Trophy cabinet.

He's such a good player his passing and vision now days is quality when he's dropping deep.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, J-V said:

He's such a good player his passing and vision now days is quality when he's dropping deep.

Dropping deep is probably not as effecive for our style of play though, and you'd also wave bye-bye to any coherent pressing game from the front three. Which is why City won't have much use for him either.

Could be a good option from the bench for both teams, but he's best suited to where he is right now.

51 minutes ago, J-V said:

If you re-read the Euros thread, you'd see that he is in fact overrated, and all but finished as a top player.

9 minutes ago, sir roger said:

With Mo, Sadio and Bobby all getting on for 30 we have had to ease back on total press anyway and I think it will have to evolve even further next season.. I understand Kane isn't easy to like but anybody who wouldn't swap Bobby for him is strange.

Respectfully disagree... Check out Klopp's comments after the game. We just need to put the best suited personell out there to make it work. Bobby being back to full fitness along with Fabinho/Thiago will help immensely with that.

For us and the way we play I'd choose Bobby 10 times out of 10 over Kane. Call me strange as much as you like. We would simply need to recreate too much of our setup to allow for Kane's deficiencies for it to be worth it. That is before you account for his annual ankle struggles, which he spends half a season getting back to full fitness from.

He's a brilliant footballer no doubt. Suited to play the way us and City do, not so much.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, m0e said:

If you re-read the Euros thread, you'd see that he is in fact overrated, and all but finished as a top player.

He's pretty slow in recovering from injuries though,  and is almost always rushed back too early by both club and country (like at the Euros). Reminds me a bit about Owen for us, he'd spend an age getting back to a decent version of himself.

Kane is a top, top player, but he's a different kind of player. Unlike Firmino, he's decisive all the time, but at the expense of being able to play a really effective pressing style and having a better defensive collective. The Kane and Ronaldo supposed moves to City make less and less sense the more time goes on. They proceeded to do the exact opposite by getting Grealish who has simply melted into their style, while those two would have changed it. Haaland, while not technically brilliant, makes more sense for City as he runs around like a mad man and has the mobility, in addition to providing the goals. With Kane, you get the stats, the goals and assists, it's great, but then you're probably a bit worse as a collective. 

• Upvote 2

If Kane wanted the move, which he doesn't, and FSG would pay the fortune he and Levy would both want, which they wouldn't, I'd trust Klopp to find a way of fitting him in.

But it would need a tweak to the system, and a period of adjustment, to fit him in. I don't see us doing that for someone who's already 29, plays every game for his national team and has a history of dodgy ankles.

Never said that it would happen, but there is an outbreak of ' red blinkers ' on here. Bobby does the occasional trick these days and drops back into midfield but he is probably the oppositions best weapon when he does, stranding our midfield regularly with wayward passes. I voted for Bobby in the ' who is our most important forward ' but a lot has changed with him since then.

• Downvote 1

I don't think Klopp is showing any signs of being ready to dispense with Firmino at the moment, loves him. Don't think he's on the highest wages either. If someone came in for him then maybe we might consider it, don't think were actively selling him though

2 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Why would you do a medical now?

Large parts of the medical are looking at future issues rather than whether they've currently got an injury (although that will be a part of it) so test's on the heart, blood work, urine tests for indicators of potential health issues like Diabetes.

It'll also give them a head start on developing a program for him in pre-season and what he needs to develop.