You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

53 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

Boehly is fucking hilarious. It’s like he is playing champ manager and trying to sign everyone who is going. He will fucking bankrupt himself and fuck them up. I bet Tuchel is sitting there saying ‘what the fuck’ haha

He is from LA.

Has 5 bil by himself - 300 bil in the ownership group. Don't hold your breath.

47 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I think the sneering is a bit premature, window is still open and if they manage to finalise Sterling, get De Jong and one of the centre halfs they’ve been linked with (De Ligt or Kounde) that’d be a good window for them. 

They're going to sign good players, but their targets seem pretty much all random and opportunistic. Whenever that's the quote unquote "plan" in the transfer market, there will usually be some failure.

8 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

He is from LA.

Has 5 bil by himself - 300 bil in the ownership group. Don't hold your breath.

He’ll be desperate for a Hollywood type signing. Show he means business.

All feels very scatter gun at the moment.

What the fuck is going on at Barcelona? They're meant to be broke but they're linked with everyone. Talk of Lewandowski going to them for 60 mill, a 33 year old with no resale value, and yet they want De Jong to leave millions in deferred wages on the table. Laporta is now saying "thank you to Lewandowski for what he is doing to come here" i.e cheers for causing ructions with your current club to force a move.

Cunt of a club, hope they stay in the doldrums for years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, aRdja said:

I think the sneering is a bit premature, window is still open and if they manage to finalise Sterling, get De Jong and one of the centre halfs they’ve been linked with (De Ligt or Kounde) that’d be a good window for them. 

It's got nothing to do with the quality of players they sign, they're Chelsea, they should be signing good players.

It's the appointing himself (temporarily or otherwise) and willingness to be seen engaging in his work. Ultimately that usually ends in disaster especially when you're initially given the adulation of supporters and end up chasing it to the detriment of the team.

While not exclusively, the best operators you barely hear or see until the job is done.

8 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

LA Dodgers are the best run team in baseball. Spend shit loads of money, do it smartly and always win their division.

Player acquisition in US sports is a lot more open and showy than it tends to be in Europe.

He's acting like he's rocking up at the owners meetings ready to splash the cash on a 10 year deal for a starting pitcher.

44 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Chelsea have lost Rudiger and Christensen and looks like Alonso and Azpilecueta (sp) are going, they may be suspect at the back this coming season, have they signed a defender yet?

Looking to re-sign Ake.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

But people keep telling me that's FSG! 

So running round after Ronaldo is out of character then? 

FSG are pretty smart and have won 3 World Series after Boston didn’t win for decades. But the Dodgers have been smart and also willing to sign Boston’s best player when FSG didn’t want to give him $300 million.

5 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

FSG are pretty smart and have won 3 World Series after Boston didn’t win for decades. But the Dodgers have been smart and also willing to sign Boston’s best player when FSG didn’t want to give him $300 million.

So would they buy the baseball equivalent of Ronaldo? If there is such a thing as I suppose if you can smash the shit out of the ball, nobody cares if you can run hard. 

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

LA Dodgers are the best run team in baseball. Spend shit loads of money, do it smartly and always win their division.

They're not the best run, they're basically just the richest. Before the Covid season where they won the title, they were perennial underachievers.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

But the Dodgers have been smart and also willing to sign Boston’s best player when FSG didn’t want to give him $300 million.

Think that over simplifies it a bit.

Dombrowski had sold the farm chasing expensive veterans trying to chase the World Series, they were consistently over the luxury tax, had very few good young players left after they were all used in trades for those veterans and had to be rebuilt from the ground up.

They had to both get under the luxury tax limit and restock their farm system while still trying to put out a vaguely competitive team, they didn't get the best value back for Betts but they weren't really in a position to do so. 

14 hours ago, aRdja said:

Chelsea aren't in for De Jong. Barcelona are just using Chelsea to try and drive the price up.

Neither De Ligt or Kounde are an improvement on Rudiger, and I don't think Sterling really fixes any of the attacking issues they had last season.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Chelsea aren't in for De Jong. Barcelona are just using Chelsea to try and drive the price up.

Neither De Ligt or Kounde are an improvement on Rudiger, and I don't think Sterling really fixes any of the attacking issues they had last season.

I realise this will be controversial, but I think sterling becomes their best forward by quite some way. And he's rarely injured. 

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I respectfully disagree. They are far and away the richest team in the league no doubt. They have won 1 World Series in 35 years. Only been to one. TBH they have only won the pennant 3 times in that stretch of 35 years.

The best run team in baseball is Tampa Bay - 25th in the revenue list (5th from the bottom and only in existence since 1998) two pennants and been to two World Series in the last 15 years. Been in the Divisional Championship the last three years. That is playing in the AL East - toughest in the league.

4 hours ago, Em City said:

What the fuck is going on at Barcelona? They're meant to be broke but they're linked with everyone. Talk of Lewandowski going to them for 60 mill, a 33 year old with no resale value, and yet they want De Jong to leave millions in deferred wages on the table. Laporta is now saying "thank you to Lewandowski for what he is doing to come here" i.e cheers for causing ructions with your current club to force a move.

Cunt of a club, hope they stay in the doldrums for years.

Agree with all the above.

In was in The Athletic earlier this week they seem to believe they are selling some media right / production company / whatever for £400m and that will allow them to then buy Kounde, Bernardo Silva, Lewendowski & Raphina.

Allegedly Bayern want the full fee for Lewendowski up front because they are worried about Barca defaulting in future.

I fundamentally don't understand them wanting Lewendowski. Of course a great a player, surely £50m can be spent better than on somebody about to turn 34, ie given their current predicament, with a resale value.

4 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Who is the owner who almost lost The Dodgers to his wife in a divorce settlement?

Anyway, I go to LA next month, I won't be buying any Dodgers stuff out of spite. I'll buy loads of Angels gear instead.