You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

32 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Fabinho, Thiago, Gini?!

Gini was reliable, never injured, but didn't get many assists or goals .

Fabinho, at times, can be killed for pace,

And Thiago, clearly one of the most talented passers of the ball ever, but it's injured quite often and again, doesn't chip in with to many goals. 

Maybe I need to word that better. None of them have been Steven Gerrard.

• Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

And Thiago, clearly one of the most talented passers of the ball ever, but it's injured quite often and again, doesn't chip in with to many goals. 

Not everyone needs to be Steven Gerrard and I think most would say that you're a bit over ambitious if you think you can make one of them turn up all the time. He was a one off and in my time watching LFC, only souness could match him as a midfielder, but Gerrard was more than a midfielder. But we've still had lots of cracking midfielders across that time. 

I think for me the stand out where signings have been underwhelming for us, would be keita and Chamberlain. They were brought in at not dissimilar times and if you look at the age spread of our midfield today, it's players of their age who've established themselves is what we're missing. We've got youngsters coming through. We've got the older ones who are firmly established. We're missing the age group under them pushing them aside and buying the youngsters some time. 

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Confident that he wont force himself out by being a dickhead. Didn't he insist on signing a contract at Birmingham that ensured they got a fee for him rather than sign for Dortmund for nothing? 

That is good to hear really as much as it could benefit us in the short term, don't think I want dickheads in the dressing room.

57 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Has anyone?

Well, De Bruyne, maybe. But we were shite when he went to City.

You don't win league titles and European Cups with a shite midfield, especially in this era. Our midfield is a lot better than we tend to give it credit for. 

The age profile and brittleness of Thiago and Henderson mean we need reinforcements there in the near future, but that area of the pitch hasn't been an impediment to success in recent years and probably won't be again in the coming season. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

You don't win league titles and European Cups with a shite midfield, especially in this era. Our midfield is a lot better than we tend to give it credit for. 

The age profile and brittleness of Thiago and Henderson mean we need reinforcements there in the near future, but that area of the pitch hasn't been an impediment to success in recent years and probably won't be again in the coming season. 

I'm not sure it helped us in Paris. We had 2 guys out there who were varying degrees of not looking fit and another running on empty. If we'd had some quality depth, we may not have been forced to start them or perhaps they wouldn't have got injured/worn out in the first place. 

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

If Ramsey is deemed not ready and we want a different dimension in our midfield and PL proven you could do a lot worse than James Maddison IMO. His numbers are very good, and a threat from distance too.

Fucking hell no, at 25 overpriced and still too inconsistent. Struggles to stay in that Leicester team for long periods.

If the answer is Maddison the the question is who is a bigger cunt than vardy in the Leicester squad.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, cloggypop said:

He’ll do it his way.

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Your first sentence is correct of course but we haven't won a league title or CL with this midfield.  Henderson and Fabinho were 3-4 years younger, and we had Wijnaldum at his best, THAT midfield helped win us the league and CL. We don't have that midfield now.

16 minutes ago, Moo said:

Your first sentence is correct of course but we haven't won a league title or CL with this midfield.  Henderson and Fabinho were 3-4 years younger, and we had Wijnaldum at his best, THAT midfield helped win us the league and CL. We don't have that midfield now.

I should have expanded it to state that we all know why we haven't won the couple of additional titles that we deserve. It's down to the flouting of FFP elsewhere. 

On the European Cup final, I thought we were absolutely awful everywhere on the night with the exception of a select few like Konate. We could have won that game if we'd played to our potential. 

I'm not saying our midfield is perfect, but it's a part of maybe our best ever side and its better than the vast majority out there. I think we've done unbelievably well in terms of the team we've built. We're not reaping the rewards that we deserve because domestically we're up against a rival with unlimited resources. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, aRdja said:

If Ramsey is deemed not ready and we want a different dimension in our midfield and PL proven you could do a lot worse than James Maddison IMO. His numbers are very good, and a threat from distance too.

We could do alit better aswell.

He loves himself more than Alan Pardew