You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

36 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

See in that article it says Klopp really rates Barella. The Athletic are saying that Inter still need to sell players this summer to meet financial needs.

Don't think it's that far fetched to think we have been quoted a silly number for him and expect the number to drop as the summer goes on as we play the "we don't need anyone this summer and we will go for Bellingham next summer" (knowing full well we don't be able to afford him).

26 minutes ago, HBenn said:

See in that article it says Klopp really rates Barella. The Athletic are saying that Inter still need to sell players this summer to meet financial needs.

Don't think it's that far fetched to think we have been quoted a silly number for him and expect the number to drop as the summer goes on as we play the "we don't need anyone this summer and we will go for Bellingham next summer" (knowing full well we don't be able to afford him).

In all honesty, with the age of our midfielders, we could probably do with barella now, and Bellingham next season anyway

• Upvote 1

I don’t recall an instance whereby an established midfielder who excelled in Serie A and was able to translate his form to the PL. it’s often been the other way around certainly in recent times; Tiemoue Bakayoko, Lucas Torreira, Pogba, Zambo-Anguissa all failed in the PL but shone in Serie A.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

So, I used to watch football like a mother fucker. I couldn’t get enough, premier league, La liga, Bundesliga, it didn’t matter. Now? I watch us. I can’t be bothered with MOTD. Anything I say about players is almost instantly wrong.

I’ve watched Saka play about 3 times, and I genuinely don’t know if he is good. I do have a long standing ‘never buy an Arsenal player because they’re going to be a fanny’ rule, though. I’m fairly sure I’m right on this one. 

Cole, Clichy, Fabregas, Nasri, Van Persie, Ox and Kolo Toure have all won the premier league in the past 12 years after leaving Arsenal. Gnabry and Szczesny have done OK. I'm not pushing the purchase of Saka at all, but surely it's about the player, not the club. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

If you move on Saka it’s gotta be this year. Arsenal will either bump his deal up and remove his release clause or qualify for the champions league. If it’s true he can be had for £40m you’d be daft not to do it, at worse he’s the future top class back up of a better player you can sell for a profit if he wants out.

Those of us who think he’s shit presumably think Elliot and Jones are shit too.

I don't think Arsenal will sell Saka while they're signing 5he likes of Jesus.   They will want 1 season of throwing everything at a CL spot.  

I think they look at Chelsea and see a chance to take their place.  Honestly the Chelsea board now are laughable, have a listen to The Athletic podcast.  Fucking circus. 

42 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I don’t recall an instance whereby an established midfielder who excelled in Serie A and was able to translate his form to the PL. it’s often been the other way around certainly in recent times; Tiemoue Bakayoko, Lucas Torreira, Pogba, Zambo-Anguissa all failed in the PL but shone in Serie A.

Jairzinho has done ok

Don't fancy Barella to work out myself. 

Reckon he will end up at Juve if he leaves. Bellingham wo t happen, ww are already leaking he may be too expensive. 

Could do with a proper unit in the midfield, a box to box player. Can do what Hendo did for a few years. Also able to cover deeper or play in a 2. 

Milner legs are not there to play many minutes, he's look OK in cameos but often off the pace. Hendo form nosedived after his new deal. Suddenly started looking a but older, though maybe just tired. Thiago misses games,Fabinho misses a few. Jones needs to step up now or he never will. In a ideal world you'd get someone in a loan him out. Keita was better but still looks a liability when not pressing high without the ball. Ox is done. There's quote a few question marks in that midfield at the moment. 

On paper when gbe starters are fit Fabinho,Thiago and another looks fine but if Thiago is out most of the creativity and ability to move the ball quickly is gone

Wonder if we are looking at the bosman next year  especially looking like Mo will be off as one of them. Some players in that list that could at least help fill out the squad and be sold later on if they didn't work out

Rayan Cherki

Moussa Dembele

Leandro Paredes

Renato Sanches

Houssem Aouar

Sasa Kalajdzic

Konrad Laimer

Marcus Thuram

Serge Gnabry

Fabian Ruiz

Ruslan Malinovskyi

Adrien Rabiot

Marco Asensio

Carlos Soler

Douglas Luiz

Ilkay Gundogan

Wilfried Zaha

N’Golo Kante

Youri Tielemans

Raheem Sterling

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

Cole, Clichy, Fabregas, Nasri, Van Persie, Ox and Kolo Toure have all won the premier league in the past 12 years after leaving Arsenal. Gnabry and Szczesny have done OK. I'm not pushing the purchase of Saka at all, but surely it's about the player, not the club. 

You FF cunts all taking anything I say seriously makes me want to go and neg Gnasher. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Wonder if we are looking at the bosman next year  especially looking like Mo will be off as one of them. Some players in that list that could at least help fill out the squad and be sold later on if they didn't work out

Rayan Cherki

Moussa Dembele

Leandro Paredes

Renato Sanches

Houssem Aouar

Sasa Kalajdzic

Konrad Laimer

Marcus Thuram

Serge Gnabry

Fabian Ruiz

Ruslan Malinovskyi

Adrien Rabiot

Marco Asensio

Carlos Soler

Douglas Luiz

Ilkay Gundogan

Wilfried Zaha

N’Golo Kante

Youri Tielemans

Raheem Sterling

I like Rabiot, hasn’t hit the heights but he’s some player him and a proper physical presence. Looks like he’s made the mistake of chasing the money rather than focussing on his career which is a real waste of talent. 

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

You have to go back to Viera as far as midfielders go. With players in general Mo Salah did ok, and Thierry Henry did a job.

22 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Only played 2 times for Milan before signing for Arsenal didn’t he? 

He was 19, hardly established… Di Matteo would be a better example. I don’t quite recall how good he was for Chelsea though. 

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

He was 19, hardly established… Di Matteo would be a better example. I don’t quite recall how good he was for Chelsea though. 

Di Matteo was good for Chelsea, probably better in England than he was in Italy.  But he was secretly Swiss and started his football career in Switzerland before moving to Lazio, so maybe not a classic Italian player really.

The BBC had one of their quizzes the other week on Italian players in the Premier League - I'll see if I can find it.  The great majority of them are/were pretty shit, although not many top players have made the move really.

This is it, some right random players in there:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61711836