You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

35 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Guess there's a reason Neymar isn't looking for a move anytime soon.

Wowsers...

'In between the larger headlines L’Équipe has reported that there is a countdown in play, that Neymar has a clause in his contract to the effect that should he remain at the club on 1 July his deal will automatically extend to 2027. If this is true Neymar would be 35 when that runs out. To pay him off would cost about €200m. From here this looks like a career sentence, a life encircled like no other by the inanity, the ruined world of billionaire nation-state sport.'

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/jun/24/the-neymar-identity-footballs-first-real-career-commodity-player-psg

He's not going to get his sisters birthday off every year to 'celebrate' with her at a proper club so pays for him to stay at somewhere like PSG.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Guess there's a reason Neymar isn't looking for a move anytime soon.

Wowsers...

'In between the larger headlines L’Équipe has reported that there is a countdown in play, that Neymar has a clause in his contract to the effect that should he remain at the club on 1 July his deal will automatically extend to 2027. If this is true Neymar would be 35 when that runs out. To pay him off would cost about €200m. From here this looks like a career sentence, a life encircled like no other by the inanity, the ruined world of billionaire nation-state sport.'

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/jun/24/the-neymar-identity-footballs-first-real-career-commodity-player-psg

A complete waste for both sides.

They’ve still continued to under achieve on the Champions League and they’ve won more or less everything expected of them in France. 

PSG / Qatar have wasted a fortune on him when they’d likely have achieved as much without him. 

Neymar has wasted his career outside one of Europe’s strongest leagues and most prestigious clubs. 

It’s a shame Mbappe seems to be going down a similar route. 

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Anyway, I'm made up arsenal have another forward, it perhaps opens the door for us to go after Saka if that release clause is real. 

They keep being linked with Raphinha, which would suggest the clause may well be real and they're worried about losing him.

4 minutes ago, dave u said:

They keep being linked with Raphinha, which would suggest the clause may well be real and they're worried about losing him.

I was actually thinking we might be being grown ups with them. Told them to go and get another forward because we can wait while Saka is on holiday, but we'll be lodging a bid, so go and get your business done. It's a different arsenal to the one who bid 40m+1 for Suarez and I could imagine that could be a deal that was concluded in the states without much negotiating happening on the ground in the UK. 

I don't know if vierra will play in midfield or attack for them and they've brought in a young forward from Brazil. And now they've got Jesus. To be fair, they've got the spaces of lacazette and aubamayang to replace already. 

Do you think we'd sign him now when we already have Salah, Firmino, Diaz, Jota and Nunez?

I mean, I can certainly make a case for why we should (a season bedding in before replacing Bosman Mo) but can you see us actually doing that? I can't.

10 minutes ago, dave u said:

Do you think we'd sign him now when we already have Salah, Firmino, Diaz, Jota and Nunez?

I mean, I can certainly make a case for why we should (a season bedding in before replacing Bosman Mo) but can you see us actually doing that? I can't.

Funny you should say that as I was just about to start a thread on that very subject. Yeah, I could see that, especially as firmino and Salah are both out of contract next season. I'm not too stressed about bedding forwards in, klopp has actually shown he doesn't seem to need to do that with forwards. But I think the only issue about bringing him in now is a squad management one. I don't think money is a problem as cash won't be an issue, transfers are spread over the period of a contract and from a P&L perspective amortised over their contract. So all it would be effectively is finding 1 year's salary and 1 year's amortisation for P&L purposes - dunno what the salary would be, £6-7m per year? And on a 5 year deal, just £8m amortisation. That's just no issue for us. 

We're a very opportunistic club with signings and if we like Saka and he's available because of a CL release clause at 40m, I would be amazed if we weren't in for him. 

Nope, I don't think there's the playing time for everyone unless, with Salah going in that scenario, we're less reluctant to piss him off by dropping him or subbing him to give game time.

I think Saka renews with Arsenal anyway and, for the next few months at least, I think the club are working on the basis that a break through will be made with Salah.

1 hour ago, dave u said:

I could see Klopp using him as the most attacking of the midfield 3 too. 

Saka’s this generations Anthony Martial. Another player whose absolutely shite yet our fanbase go mental over and want him here at all costs.

Bellingham’s another one our loons have convinced themselves is coming here from the day he signed for Dortmund. He’s already known as Jude now to our fifa crackpots and £100 mill price tag is the minimum they want us to pay. 

We’ve had loads of overpriced garbage like this over the years. Lets not go back there.

12 goals and 7 assists in a team where all the pressure is on him to perform, in a team stripped of most of it's experienced players, is a decent return for a 20 year old coming off a European Championship where he was blamed for England losing (and subject to horrific abuse).

It certainly shows the mental toughness Klopp and the recruitment team value and, while he's far from the finished article, it'd be interesting to see what they could get out of him at the right price.

Especially when you're able to take him in and out of the team instead of running him into the ground like Arsenal have.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, aRdja said:

But in your scenario, with his supposed foresight and knowledge of the budget and the market, he would’ve seen that we had €160 million euro in the budget to replace Mane (what we spent on Diaz and Nunez) so replacing him wouldn’t be that much of an issue, if he found the task of replacing Gini over 4 windows too challenging then he wouldn’t be talking to Chelsea under new ownership, who need their entire backline replacing, or United who need their entire team replaced in order to challenge.

We already know that keeping to their wage structure is FSG’s MO, and they’re not even willing to break it for Mo Salah, arguably in the top 3 players in the world. The beauty of this scenario is we’ve already seen it time and again with players therefore doesn’t require half as much fantasy and it still allows you to get annoyed at FSG.

I think you are paranoid. I haven't said in any of these posts that I have a problem with FSG. I said he knows the budget and that there is a budget.

Your argument about the money for Diaz and Nunez illustrates the point very nicely. We have finite resources and need to replace a number of areas not just Mane!! 

I also said there were potentially numerous factors that may have influenced him leaving, not just the requirement to replace a number of players. It often is a cumulation of factors that cause you to move.

Sure he will have challenges at other clubs but maybe he will have a much bigger budget to address it with, different people to work with and a fresh environment to do it in.

But this has gone on long enough, I think your arguments are a bit noddy so I think we will have to agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

A complete waste for both sides.

They’ve still continued to under achieve on the Champions League and they’ve won more or less everything expected of them in France. 

PSG / Qatar have wasted a fortune on him when they’d likely have achieved as much without him. 

Neymar has wasted his career outside one of Europe’s strongest leagues and most prestigious clubs. 

It’s a shame Mbappe seems to be going down a similar route. 

A total lack of real ambition and absolutely filthy greed.

4 hours ago, Aventus said:

Well Jesus was the last south American wonder kid forward they bought and it didn't pan out how they wanted, so I'm clinging to that hope. 

Jesus was involved in 17 league golas in @ 1800 minutes this season - scored in double figures every year he was there on some of the lowest wages they pay. Walks away with 10 trophies and they make 10 million on the deal.

1 hour ago, HBenn said:

I think you are paranoid. I haven't said in any of these posts that I have a problem with FSG. I said he knows the budget and that there is a budget.

Your argument about the money for Diaz and Nunez illustrates the point very nicely. We have finite resources and need to replace a number of areas not just Mane!! 

I also said there were potentially numerous factors that may have influenced him leaving, not just the requirement to replace a number of players. It often is a cumulation of factors that cause you to move.

Sure he will have challenges at other clubs but maybe he will have a much bigger budget to address it with, different people to work with and a fresh environment to do it in.

But this has gone on long enough, I think your arguments are a bit noddy so I think we will have to agree to disagree.

Don’t waste your time mate.