You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

25 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Yeah, I am sure he has but I personally don't think money would ever have been an obstacle to them renewing on Jurgen. He makes them too much money for them to be that stupid.

Edwards I imagine the same. Longer term he would have held more value to them to Mo or Sadio.

If you break your salary structure for one individual means it’s broken for everyone. Before you know it the U18s manager will start knocking on your door asking for parity.

Klopp’s extension didn’t involve a pay increase reportedly, and he’s the best manager in the world. 

15 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I also think there's more to it than that. We always talk about these formations as 4xxxx , yet our full backs play the game vastly different to each other and slightly different game to game - where they go often depends on the make up of the midfield. The different things we were doing with Elliot in the side for example, is different to when Henderson was in the same position or keita. 

But I agree with your view, we will continue to start each game with a frameworks of 433 and work from there. 

Very few teams play with a 4 even when stated and most defensive structures are built around a 5 man block whether that's a 3-2 or a 2-3.

The variation comes in how that block is made up.

Chelsea, for example, have the 3 centre backs and 2 midfielders shielding them, Man City have (or used to have) 2 centre backs a defensive midfielder and the two full backs tucking in to make up the three, we had 2 centre backs and 3 midfielders forming the block of 5. 

How each team transitions from defense to attack (and attack to defense) is it's own thing as is how the team shapes up with and without the ball.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Klopp might have liked the setup at dortmund but that was a decade ago. And he's talked a few times about why he thinks 433 is better in this country. I don't think for klopp it is about what he's done before, he will always evolve, but I think what his 433 brings him is lots of room to evolve and change, but within a framework that brings certain characteristics if we assume the 3 and the 3 are 3 midfielders and 3 forwards. It's worked wonderfully well for him - people keep saying we've been worked out. They were saying that through the 2nd half of last season. A half of season that saw us go unbeaten and not drop a point outside the top 4. That's the type of being worked out I can get on board with. 

I give Klopp a bit more credit than you do Barry, I think he’s a flexible manager. Not often you have two of the best midfielders in the world, and when you do like we do now with Thiago and Fabinho, you should make the most of it. Against most teams, another midfielder alongside them would be obsolete. 

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I give Klopp a bit more credit than you do Barry, I think he’s a flexible manager. Not often you have two of the best midfielders in the world, and when you do like we do now with Thiago and Fabinho, you should make the most of it. Against most teams, another midfielder alongside them would be obsolete. 

I'm giving klopp loads of credit and always do - I think he's one of the most tactically astute managers in the game and can make a world of difference by getting one player to play 3 yards inside, or further forward than they did before. I just don't think he is in favour of going light in midfield. He's shown no desire to do so in his 7 years here unless we are chasing a game. I've no reason to think that'll change. 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

I'm giving klopp loads of credit and always do - I think he's one of the most tactically astute managers in the game and can make a world of difference by getting one player to play 3 yards inside, or further forward than they did before. I just don't think he is in favour of going light in midfield. He's shown no desire to do so in his 7 years here unless we are chasing a game. I've no reason to think that'll change. 

He’s played that formation with us aplenty. For example in the first season, if you go back to the Europa League final in Basel we played 4-2-3-1, with Bobby starting behind Sturridge.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36254631

We also played that setup for most games in the first half of 2018/19 with Bobby starting behind Salah.  

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46656883

10 minutes ago, aRdja said:

If you break your salary structure for one individual means it’s broken for everyone. Before you know it the U18s manager will start knocking on your door asking for parity.

Klopp’s extension didn’t involve a pay increase reportedly, and he’s the best manager in the world. 

Klopp reportedly didn't ask for one (I think he even made some comment about feeling guilty for being paid so much money when we were losing). I genuinely think that he isn't motivated by money to the same level as many of his peers. 

The club have a wage structure for the players and that makes real sense but even within that there is disparity and still harmony. For instance, doubt Matip gets paid what Van Dijk does. Imagine he doesn't have a huge problem with it cause Virgil is absolute class and a talisman.

I am sure the u18 coach can knock on the door and ask for parity and be quickly told "make us x billion in the brand value and you can have your pay rise but until then..."

11 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Klopp reportedly didn't ask for one (I think he even made some comment about feeling guilty for being paid so much money when we were losing). I genuinely think that he isn't motivated by money to the same level as many of his peers. 

The club have a wage structure for the players and that makes real sense but even within that there is disparity and still harmony. For instance, doubt Matip gets paid what Van Dijk does. Imagine he doesn't have a huge problem with it cause Virgil is absolute class and a talisman.

I am sure the u18 coach can knock on the door and ask for parity and be quickly told "make us x billion in the brand value and you can have your pay rise but until then..."

With the amount of hype around Edwards would you be that shocked if he asked for a packet closer to Klopp’s? We don’t know, but surely it’s a more feasible scenario than him leaving because of the potential struggle a couple of seasons down the line to try replace Wijnaldum.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He’s played that formation with us aplenty. For example in the first season, if you go back to the Europa League final in Basel we played 4-2-3-1, with Bobby starting behind Sturridge.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36254631

We also played that setup for most games in the first half of 2018/19 with Bobby starting behind Salah.  

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46656883

Mate, if you think he's going to do things now he did with a squad he inherited, fair fucks to you. But since we've gone 433, there's been no sign of it, as I say unless we're chasing a game. 

And by the way, we were a fucking abomination in that game in Basel, it's probably one of the worst examples you could give to why we might start the season playing just 2 midfielders. 

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Mate, if you think he's going to do things now he did with a squad he inherited, fair fucks to you. But since we've gone 433, there's been no sign of it, as I say unless we're chasing a game. 

And by the way, we were a fucking abomination in that game in Basel, it's probably one of the worst examples you could give to why we might start the season playing just 2 midfielders. 

Again not true, all you had to do was to click on the second link. 

Let’s not get distracted by talking about individual games, as we are both perfectly able to cherry pick games here and there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Again not true, all you had to do was to click on the second link. 

Let’s not get distracted by talking about individual games, as we are both perfectly able to cherry pick games here and there. 

So 18/19 is exactly my point. It's 433 with a tweak. But we start the game with 3 midfielders in the pitch. My point isn't klopp won't tweak as he usually does a tweak every season and quite often as the season goes tweak it again. But his framework of having 3 midfielders and 3 forwards on the pitch remain. In actual fact the closest he has got to not doing that was last season when he gave Elliot a try, but Elliot was clearly still playing an 8 role, it was just tweaked on what we've done before. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So 18/19 is exactly my point. It's 433 with a tweak. But we start the game with 3 midfielders in the pitch. My point isn't klopp won't tweak as he usually does a tweak every season and quite often as the season goes tweak it again. But his framework of having 3 midfielders and 3 forwards on the pitch remain. In actual fact the closest he has got to not doing that was last season when he gave Elliot a try, but Elliot was clearly still playing an 8 role, it was just tweaked on what we've done before. 

We played 4-2-3-1 in the first half of season 2018/19, with Salah as the centre forward and Firmino in the number 10 role, not 4-3-3.

DA3933A1-7B75-4B59-B2FB-34D0A3608762.jpeg

That’s the setup I think (hope) Klopp will replicate next season. If we are to replicate that setup one potential option that I put forward was to look at bringing Maddison in to play that number 10 role. 

24 minutes ago, aRdja said:

With the amount of hype around Edwards would you be that shocked if he asked for a packet closer to Klopp’s? We don’t know, but surely it’s a more feasible scenario than him leaving because of the potential struggle a couple of seasons down the line to try replace Wijnaldum.

I would be more shocked because they would pay it! He and Klopp combined have added billions to the share price and they are not prepared to give him a couple of million more a year to reflect that? Don't buy that personally. 

2 minutes ago, HBenn said:

I would be more shocked because they would pay it! He and Klopp combined have added billions to the share price and they are not prepared to give him a couple of million more a year to reflect that? Don't buy that personally. 

It’s their MO. We’ve seen them do exactly that with the players. They love their wage structure. 

10 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

But you’ve been saying he should change his formation to 4-2-3-1 for over 2 years???

Fucking rotate. 

Yeah I wasn’t convinced with the false 9 system, wanted Bobby to start behind Sturridge instead, and then I shut my mouth for two seasons. 

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

We played 4-2-3-1 in the first half of season 2018/19, with Salah as the centre forward and Firmino in the number 10 role, not 4-3-3.

DA3933A1-7B75-4B59-B2FB-34D0A3608762.jpeg

That’s the setup I think (hope) Klopp will replicate next season. If we are to replicate that setup one potential option that I put forward was to look at bringing Maddison in to play that number 10 role. 

That set up was very much a one off though. It wasn't our framework for the season. He played a similar formation in an Anfield derby with Shaq wide and div as the 9 iirc too - with maybe mane left and I can't remember the 10. It's something he's done when short of players and has a need to rotate. But that doesn't mean he sees it as a season long plan. It's just a curve ball he's thrown in occasionally. If we start more than 3 matches next season in anything other than a 433, I'll let you sign bamford next summer. 

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

Yeah I wasn’t convinced with the false 9 system, wanted Bobby to start behind Sturridge instead, and then I shut my mouth for two seasons. 

So you’re saying you give Klopp more credit than Barry…

Now despite anyones views on Barry’s opinion of the owners, he’s always heaped praise on Klopp and said the owners won’t look so good once he’s gone. 

You think Klopp has played the wrong formation for more than 2 years. 

But you give Klopp more credit than Barry. 

• Upvote 1

The hit ratio on our signings, down to Edwards and Klopp, will have been huge for the pay structure.

Good players get signed on good wages and play brilliantly. You cant argue with that or use it as leverage to get yourself a payrise.

Keita probably the only fly in the ointment that a player might look across the dressing room and start getting dissillusioned but its clearly well managed and the transfer "misses" have been so few.     

Our squad must be an agents nightmare as its a big risk to start bigging up his man as Top Billing.

*Unless your Mo's agent of course