You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

7 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I would personally be quite surprised if another midfielder didn't come in. I agree with Mega that the level of interest we had in Tchouameni would definitely indicate that we are planning to buy a midfielder.

It could be the case that we had budgeted something like 130m in fees and another 300k/week in wages to spend on these two positions, and that one option was to buy Tchouameni and then spend the remaining 45m and 100k/week on a striker.

But once Tchouameni wasn't on the table, I could easily imagine a scenario where Ward thought "right, let's just flip it around in terms of who we go after, and spend the big money on Nunez and then get a cheaper midfielder instead." I would imagine that we have a list of potential targets at every position at every price point that would provide good value, and if there was a good target in the 40m range that would sign for 100k/week, that's probably what will happen now.

Wouldn't like to really guess who it might be, though. Konrad Laimer would be cheaper than that, I would think? Ibrahima Sangare as well. Not sure who else we've really been linked to, it will probably be one of those out-of-the-blue deals that we've been working on behind closed doors (Ndidi? Vitinha? Or Gavi, if we get really lucky and can take advantage of Barca's financial weakness?).

It's not just sign 'a midfielder' with Klopp though is it, it has to be the right one and he has to be available. We've signed a young one in carvalho, if we sign a Bellingham or similar, I can see him being prepared to wait a year if he's not available now

9 hours ago, an tha said:

Feel there is some serious over thinking going on here - it is of couse all well intentioned and out of a desire to see us win stuff - but reality is we don't really have many "problems" or "weaknesses".

Agreed. 

We might struggle to break deep lying teams down but more often than not, as our points total shows, we find a way. 

I do think midfield is an area we could midfield is an area we could pick up more goals from. If we’re interested in a midfielder this summer (likely), I’d hope it’s an area we’re looking to address.

I do wonder how much further our money will go this season. Net balances for the last few seasons are…

17/18 +£9.6m

18/19 -£127.8m

19/20 +£30.7m

20/21 -£58.9m

21/22 -£53.56m

On average, our net spend per summer is c.-£40m. Maybe it’s higher now the Main Stand & the training ground are finished, with the ARE due to be finished next summer? If all the infrastructures are finished, will it leave more money for transfers? 

Lets say -£50m net this summer. 

Nunez is £85m, Carvalho is c.£8m, Ramsey is c.£8m. If we reclaim what we expect for Mane, Phillips, Williams, Minamino & Ox, that’s c.£95m return. So we likely have c.£45m left.

Or would potential bonuses be factored into future budgets? 

If the opportunity / value is there, do we think we should go big this summer and save on  future transfers? 

11 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I do wonder how much further our money will go this season. Net balances for the last few seasons are…

17/18 +£9.6m

18/19 -£127.8m

19/20 +£30.7m

20/21 -£58.9m

21/22 -£53.56m

On average, our net spend per summer is c.-£40m. Maybe it’s higher now the Main Stand & the training ground are finished, with the ARE due to be finished next summer? If all the infrastructures are finished, will it leave more money for transfers? 

Lets say -£50m net this summer. 

Nunez is £85m, Carvalho is c.£8m, Ramsey is c.£8m. If we reclaim what we expect for Mane, Phillips, Williams, Minamino & Ox, that’s c.£95m return. So we likely have c.£45m left.

Or would potential bonuses be factored into future budgets? 

If the opportunity / value is there, do we think we should go big this summer and save on  future transfers? 

I think it probably depends on the availability or not of a central midfielder we really want. Somebody else made the point last week that Tchouameni may well have been this summer's Fekir for us, where we instead spent big on another key player in a different position - Nunez - instead like we did with Alisson. 

31 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I think it probably depends on the availability or not of a central midfielder we really want. Somebody else made the point last week that Tchouameni may well have been this summer's Fekir for us, where we instead spent big on another key player in a different position - Nunez - instead like we did with Alisson. 

That’s sort of what I meant with the “if the opportunity is there, should will we go for it?”.

Spitballing here, let’s use Bellingham as a hypothetical. Say for example we could get him for £80m this summer. After another season in Germany, playing in the CL, playing in the World Cup… could he be worth >£100m next summer? In the which case, is it better pull the trigger now?

Or Gav.  If he re-signs with Barca, he’ll

likely never leave or at least not for €50m. Is it worth pulling the trigger now while the value / opportunity is there?

9 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

That’s sort of what I meant with the “if the opportunity is there, should will we go for it?”.

Spitballing here, let’s use Bellingham as a hypothetical. Say for example we could get him for £80m this summer. After another season in Germany, playing in the CL, playing in the World Cup… could he be worth >£100m next summer? In the which case, is it better pull the trigger now?

likely never leave or at least not for €50m. Is it worth pulling the trigger now while the value / opportunity is there?

Absolutely we should if Klopp wants them, but it's not my money.

If we did bring in a midfielder we'd need to move one or two on (Keita +1) as if we're serious about Elliott and Carvalho being major parts of our future, they'll need game time in the coming season too. I'm also one of the remaining minority who thinks Jones can be fantastic for us yet. 

There seems very little of substance in us being after a midfielder at the moment though, so I'd be surprised if we go there. I could see us trying to sign Bellingham a year in advance like we did with Keita. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I also think Bellingham will have more suitors next summer.  City will be in for him and if the Mancs get back into the CL and are improving they will stand a chance too.  Things will have settled down at Chelsea, and the two Spanish teams will be looking for a big signing, or Real deffo will, perhaps Barca too if they can pull the finances together.

I think if Bellingham is a target for us we probably need to land him this summer.

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

I also think Bellingham will have more suitors next summer.  City will be in for him and if the Mancs get back into the CL and are improving they will stand a chance too.  Things will have settled down at Chelsea, and the two Spanish teams will be looking for a big signing, or Real deffo will, perhaps Barca too if they can pull the finances together.

I think if Bellingham is a target for us we probably need to land him this summer.

You're probably right on Bellingham, but I reckon Man United will have a huge battle to get top four with ourselves, City and Spurs taking the top three. Chelsea, West Ham and even Arsenal will fancy their chances. 

This new guy could well be as hapless in a highly pressurised job as most of their post-Ferguson appointments. Still, I'm sure Ronaldo will make sure the dressing room gets 100% behind him. 

4 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Rodgers has said Tielemans is leaving. We’re after a midfielder. Simple math huh, Bob?

12 months left on his contract, so would be available for around £25 to 30 million?

If he was on our radar, we'd be able to get him easily enough ahead of the likes of Arsenal. I feel like he is not a player that we are interested in though.

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

As in the Echo last week that we’re prepared to loan Phillips again rather than sell…

EAADC6A3-0A7A-493F-A17A-F97BEA208003.png

Yes I thought it was reported we want to bring him back as a long term replacement for Matip, which seems fanciful but which I’d be happy with.

I haven’t seen anything from Bellingham that makes me think he’d be great for us. Just a poor man’s Jordan Henderson for me. This generations Milinkovic-savic. What is it with these £100 mill price tags for average midfielders. This fifa generations Milinkovic - Savic. 

Got to be far better midfielders out there for half the price who could offer more than him. Eriksonn on a free would do for me as long as we get a spare battery for him.