You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

32 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'd much rather Nunez than Abraham. 

Absolutely. Nunez and Gavi would be a great summer but it’s more likely we end up with Abraham/Bowen and Bissouma or someone. Well it’s more likely we sign some players we’ve never heard of. We don’t seem to sign well known players anymore.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, but why do they not want to pay him? He's 26, meant to be a top player. You're not supposed to let those go.

I don’t know. I don’t know what he’s asking for or how it fits their wage structure.

32 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

If one of the current challenges is to break down teams that've parked the bus, hopefully Mane's replacement helps with that.

Mane has been one of our main men for the last few years.

In that time we’ve acquired 97, 99 & 92 points. 

Although it might be more of a struggle than we’d like at times, ultimately the majority of the time we find a way. 

31 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Absolutely. Nunez and Gavi would be a great summer but it’s more likely we end up with Abraham/Bowen and Bissouma or someone. Well it’s more likely we sign some players we’ve never heard of. We don’t seem to sign well known players anymore.

How many have we got wrong in recent years?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Realistically, I think we've known for a while. This sort of thing doesn't just pop up.

Probably 

Not sure we would go public with it to the point it would attract players. Could also be his agent has a 'Haaland type plan'

51 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I've still not seen a decent explanation of how Jones or Elliott fit into the 433. 

They can't surely be here for the very occasional time we revert to 4231? 

Elliot plays on the right side of midfield like he started last year

• Upvote 1

If the Mane replacement is not a #9, I like the idea of it being a left footed winger. Like Bowen, Antony, Raphinha, Saka. 

It would be like Diaz was for Mane, a preemptive Salah replacement if he leaves after next year, and it could maybe push Salah to play centrally once in a while, where he could use his ability back to goal, which he is really good at, and it would be a change from doing the thing on the right where he tries to dribble everybody and cut in every time. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I've still not seen a decent explanation of how Jones or Elliott fit into the 433. 

They both started at CM against Southampton in front of the DM (Milner). I’m pretty sure we’ll see that again next season if they’re both at the club. 

7 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

They play as the more attacking 8 of the 3 midfielders

We already saw the role Elliot had early in the season creating the attacking overload on the right with Salah and Trent being the more forward midfielder of the three even getting the start against Chelsea.

Jones would be the left sided equivalent although we don't play that same triangle on the left.

Both players would be the progressive carriers in the side breaking lines and playing the pass before the assist. You wouldn't play both in the same side against most teams without giving one more defensive responsibility.

On the 4231, the midfield has been a 2-1 in possession a lot of the time this season especially when we're playing with a more attacking player in midfield with Thiago and Fabinho, or Henderson Fabinho becoming the double pivot and usually Keita being the more advanced player although not quite a No.10.

We've also gone to variations of 4231/424 quite often in game either when we're trying to chase a game or close a game out with the extra attacker coming on for a midfielder.

• Upvote 1

Abraham?

Gnabry?

Fuck that. Both are shit. If that's all we can come up with, we should wait a year. Buy the best two midfielders we can and right back cover (Aberdeen kid)

It's taken us years to assemble one of the best squads in the world. 30+ years to be precise. Now's not the time to fill it with shite and take steps backwards.