You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

I caught a little bit of that Transfer Show on Sky last night, and Melissa Reddy said we will be monitoring Enzo Fernandez who has just signed for Benfica from River Plate this summer. Our South American scouts liked him but we want to see how he performs in a European league and the CL this season. Apparently he’s a box to box midfielder which sounds to me like the same type of player as Bellingham, so maybe he’s our alternative if we get outbid on our first choice?

8243E5D7-7FFB-40B8-AECD-C872D070E265.jpeg

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

I caught a little bit of that Transfer Show on Sky last night, and Melissa Reddy said we will be monitoring Enzo Fernandez who has just signed for Benfica from River Plate this summer. Our South American scouts liked him but we want to see how he performs in a European league and the CL this season. Apparently he’s a box to box midfielder which sounds to me like the same type of player as Bellingham, so maybe he’s our alternative if we get outbid on our first choice?

He seems the sort of player that if we liked him then he would be worth a punt on before going to Benfica.

He has moved for €10m upfront with €8m in installments. If he is quality you would expect him to be £50-60m next summer and you wouldn't expect us to do that on top of say a Bellingham/big name signing.

Apparently Benfica won the race for his signature so maybe we were in for him but the above suggests we weren't. Personally would like, if we can get work permits, to be trying to take a punt on these types from the River Plates, International, Santos, Boca Juniors first.

3 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

She's just another who say what the club want out there. Everyone screaming for a new midfielder, so let's get them excited about one we can possibly sign this summer. 

3 hours ago, HBenn said:

He seems the sort of player that if we liked him then he would be worth a punt on before going to Benfica.

I think the security in waiting for the 'breakout' season is what we look for a in a player, there's also various work permit considerations and filling your squad out with to many players you've bought too early in the hope they come good.

The leap from South America to Spain/Portugal is a lot smaller, on and off the pitch, than it is from South America straight to the Premier League/England.

On the subject of Portugal, in all the hand wringing over Nunes going to Wolves and how perfect he'd be for us it's telling that not one 'big' club came in for him. He could go on to be amazing and eventually get a big move but there was obviously not enough there at the moment to entice one of the many clubs looking for a 6/8.

(Certainly in the premier league I think Bruno Fernandes will have caused a bit of hesitation amongst top teams for the output heavy, risk taking midfielders)

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

I think the security in waiting for the 'breakout' season is what we look for a in a player, there's also various work permit considerations and filling your squad out with to many players you've bought too early in the hope they come good.

The leap from South America to Spain/Portugal is a lot smaller, on and off the pitch, than it is from South America straight to the Premier League/England.

On the subject of Portugal, in all the hand wringing over Nunes going to Wolves and how perfect he'd be for us it's telling that not one 'big' club came in for him. He could go on to be amazing and eventually get a big move but there was obviously not enough there at the moment to entice one of the many clubs looking for a 6/8.

(Certainly in the premier league I think Bruno Fernandes will have caused a bit of hesitation amongst top teams for the output heavy, risk taking midfielders)

Thanks. Yeah, interesting points.

I imagine what you are saying does drive the decision. With Wards background I would imagine that if it is a route that we were looking to exploit it, he would be well positioned to do it. 

It was interesting that we have been linked a bit more to players from Brazil. The striker at Santos, the lad from Fluminese and lastly this João Gomes. My ears pricked up when he was linked because you don't often hear them say about wanting to move to Liverpool and I did wonder if something was in the offing.

It will be interesting to see how it develops if FSG, as rumoured, buy one of the clubs there. Potential goldmine for them and us.

I get your comment about the difference in climate and culture very much, my wife is Brazilian, the climate here may get mentioned on the odd occasion!

This has to be sone money laundering/FFP pisstake. Less than 50 top flight games, played in the championship past 2 years, will be 23 in 6 months

Nottingham Forest have reached an agreement with Wolverhampton Wanderers to sign top target Morgan Gibbs-Whites. Deal worth £44.5m including addons & 22yo England youth midfielder is scheduled to undergo medical this afternoon @TheAthleticUK #NFFC #WWFC https://t.co/F6fetYrVeO

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

They're doing what villa did, spending their projected PL tv money for this season to try and ensure they stay up.

I might be being unfair but I always think of the Greek league in the same way I think of the Turkish league (although perhaps not to the same degree).

Lots of match fixing allegations, financial irregularities and eccentric owners.

The fact he's also the Olympiakos owner (or was?) doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

8 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I might be being unfair but I always think of the Greek league in the same way I think of the Turkish league (although perhaps not to the same degree).

Lots of match fixing allegations, financial irregularities and eccentric owners.

The fact he's also the Olympiakos owner (or was?) doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

He still is the owner of Olympiakos apparently. I dont agree with it and dont get why FIFA dont outlaw this ownership of multiple clubs. UEFA even let Abramovich get away with it when the other club he had an interest played chelsea in a club competition, I think it was in the CL but not sure.

When we run out of assets too sell, how do we build a new team because its more than likely we won't have big individuals to sell to fund rebuilds. We let players contracts run out or they grow old on our books or they are vital to our success so we cant sell them as we should never be a selling club especially like we have in the not too distant past selling to league rivals. Part of it may be Klopp just being so loyal he doesn't want to let go of his boys when really we should be constantly evolving and using their value when we think we may have had the best of them, who knows.

At some point surely a cash influx is needed by the business owners. I'm not saying this is the point now but every business needs to invest in itself to modernise at some stage. There must be a window where its not about balancing the books and the team needs strengthening in order to maintain a competitive edge. I know when you say this shit it's usually followed with "you just want an oil state" I don't see how investing now and then is comparable with sportwashing and cheating. It kills me thinking we aren't making the most of the Klopp years. Going again with this midfield to me is a real risk of wasting  a season hoping for jam tomorrow.

23 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

I'd be amazed if he doesn't have a release clause, whether it's a flat fee or one that is triggered by CL clubs that gives him an out at some point.

Gives me Connor Gallagher vibes where he does noticeable things but isn't currently doing the things you'd expect from a central midfielder (Gallagher was more of a goal scorer at Palace).

Like Gallagher it could be a system rather than player 'issue'.

https://fbref.com/en/players/e6af02e0/Matheus-Nunes