You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

8 hours ago, No2 said:

I called him as a player the first time I saw him play. Him and Carvalho are my 2 boys.

Yeah, we should be all over this. The outstanding player at thd u19s Euros recently, ran our kids ragged in thd FA Yourh cup final a while back IIRC

6 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Sure I read talk of him going to Dortmund as Bellingham’s replacement. 

Let's sign him and tell Bellingham/Dortmund to do one.

12 hours ago, aRdja said:

I gave you both the post match interview (including the opening and final questions) and the press conference. I promise I’m not trying to be a smart arse, sorry if it came across that way. I’m just curious because what you posted doesn’t sound like something Klopp would say, so I would like to hear it first hand. Please have another think and get back to me, I’ll be happy come back here to post the link to the interview or press conference. Happy to discuss the CL final after we resolve that one.

I will put my hands up and apologise over that one. I have had a look because it stuck in my mind that he said it was the one area of the pitch we had a lack of options.

Also it stuck because, which I think is what you were getting at, Jürgen doesn't normally say negative stuff about his options. 

Having searched for what he said though I can see he said it is one area of the pitch where we don't have many options but that we will be fine cause Hendo can play there.

Personally though for me, I don't think there is smoke without fire and while he may talk up his options the links to the types of players we are seeing suggests strongly that it is an area they feel they need to improve.

Its an area where I don't think we are that strong over the course of the season and could well undermine us. I would be extremely happy to be wrong about all that and for us to prove that over the next 9 months.

Maybe they feel the new changes in the medical department will somehow find a way to keep Thiago fit for many more games. Same with Naby. Maybe, like last summer with Harvey, they privately have very high hopes for one of the youngsters (Bajcetic, Hill) and think they can step up when needed and so are prepared to wait. Maybe they feel they can improve it via a formation change.

At the end of the day we will likely have to improve again with City getting Haaland and need to find a way to ensure we get over the line in the games we dropped points in from a winning position. It's a ridiculous level we need to be at but you could see us needing over 100 points to win it this season.

Hopefully a mixture of those things will mean we do that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Isn't he the one who was suggested by the local journos as a cheap alternative to Bellingham?

Based on some of the scouting in the last few posts I am all in on this guy. Great name for back of shirt as well. Look midfield is going to be our main rebuild next 3 to 4 years having someone like this guy on the books could only help.

5 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Based on some of the scouting in the last few posts I am all in on this guy. Great name for back of shirt as well. Look midfield is going to be our main rebuild next 3 to 4 years having someone like this guy on the books could only help.

If we're bringing a player in this summer, I think I would prefer a slightly more experienced player. We have Jones & Elliot plus maybe carvalho in that very young part of their career. Keita and Chamberlain should clearly be the gap between these fellas and the 4 older guys, but obviously they carry their problems too. I think if you look over the next 2-3 years, you know milner and Chamberlain will be gone (maybe keita too), thiago & Henderson very much at the twilight of their careers, a young but reasonably experience player, plus a supposed big signing next summer doesn't seem an extreme position to take. But I don't expect we'd go for that player while keita and/or chamberlain are still here. 

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

If we're bringing a player in this summer, I think I would prefer a slightly more experienced player. We have Jones & Elliot plus maybe carvalho in that very young part of their career. Keita and Chamberlain should clearly be the gap between these fellas and the 4 older guys, but obviously they carry their problems too. I think if you look over the next 2-3 years, you know milner and Chamberlain will be gone (maybe keita too), thiago & Henderson very much at the twilight of their careers, a young but reasonably experience player, plus a supposed big signing next summer doesn't seem an extreme position to take. But I don't expect we'd go for that player while keita and/or chamberlain are still here. 

So we in agreement next 2-3 years we could see a minimum of 4 possibly 5 midfielders leaving the club . Get your point about more experience but we don't seem to be sniffing about  premiership proven from Leicester,  Brighton  or Leeds .  Even if we do secure Bellingham next year we are still going to need at least 2 youngsters to come through the ranks above and beyond Jones,Elliot and Carvalho.  This guy seems to be elite in his age group could be worth a punt . Although I hate typing this mcginn from villa could be the transition player we may need. 

11 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

So we in agreement next 2-3 years we could see a minimum of 4 possibly 5 midfielders leaving the club . Get your point about more experience but we don't seem to be sniffing about  premiership proven from Leicester,  Brighton  or Leeds .  Even if we do secure Bellingham next year we are still going to need at least 2 youngsters to come through the ranks above and beyond Jones,Elliot and Carvalho.  This guy seems to be elite in his age group could be worth a punt . Although I hate typing this mcginn from villa could be the transition player we may need. 

I'd like someone younger than mcginn - that similar profile to what we've added with Diaz and Jota to the front line would work for me. Under 25, but really ready to make a mark at this level. 

You're right there doesn't seem to be many links - just Bellingham on loop and there has been the odd youngster. I wonder if there's some potential bosmans out there we might be looking at as keita, Chamberlain and milner may all leave next summer without any fee coming in. 

There might also be a lot of faith in Jones making that step forward. I like Jones but like most youngsters he's been massively inconsistent. From what we see as fans, it might be really hard to judge how well he's developed. The coaches and klopp see him every day and may think he's absolutely ready to make a difference. I am guessing Jones would have been disappointed last season with his own progress. But it doesn't mean he can't put that right this time around. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'd like someone younger than mcginn - that similar profile to what we've added with Diaz and Jota to the front line would work for me. Under 25, but really ready to make a mark at this level. 

You're right there doesn't seem to be many links - just Bellingham on loop and there has been the odd youngster. I wonder if there's some potential bosmans out there we might be looking at as keita, Chamberlain and milner may all leave next summer without any fee coming in. 

There might also be a lot of faith in Jones making that step forward. I like Jones but like most youngsters he's been massively inconsistent. From what we see as fans, it might be really hard to judge how well he's developed. The coaches and klopp see him every day and may think he's absolutely ready to make a difference. I am guessing Jones would have been disappointed last season with his own progress. But it doesn't mean he can't put that right this time around. 

I am not the greatest spotter of youth talent but I see enough in Jones to give me hope. As you say when he looks around at what his peers achieved last year he will be disappointed  with his own contribution for ourselves.  I suppose the wild card is TAA we all know Steven started at right back and moved just don't see the same for Trent . 

7 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

I am not the greatest spotter of youth talent but I see enough in Jones to give me hope. As you say when he looks around at what his peers achieved last year he will be disappointed  with his own contribution for ourselves.  I suppose the wild card is TAA we all know Steven started at right back and moved just don't see the same for Trent . 

Klopp doesn't give much indication that he sees Trent in that role. In fact he was very dismissive when asked about it when Trent played midfield for England - although I seem to remember some comment he made about he could do a job at 6, but why would you want to do that or something. I think it's pretty safe to assume klopp isn't planning to use Trent to help bolster any midfield shortages over the next few years. 

I do think though we maybe don't need 8 players for 3 roles. We only need 8 now as most of them are kids or players who barely stay fit. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume milner and Chamberlain could be replaced with 1 player. 

2 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

Not read any links but a guy I like at DM is Harrison Reed at Fulham. Imagine incoming calls from LFC are blocked mind. 

Maybe Fulham are a club were trying to do more business with. We've taken 2 of their kids, but we loaned them neco last year and Wilson got his move, but they got a 12 month payment holiday negotiated as part of the deal. 

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If Keita leaves on a free he will be the worst transfer in club history.

I find it an interesting one with him at the moment. We have to assume the club have given him some type of offer. You wouldnt expect a pay rise with it though..from keita's perspective, maybe he fancies his chances on a bosman next summer, but there's every chance he'll be behind Elliot and Jones this season. You wouldn't expect him to get a great move if he ends up our 6th choice and even on a free, his salary is pretty significant for anyone but mega clubs.  

As for the worst transfer ever, I always find it hard because like every club we have loads of them. 

30 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

As for the worst transfer ever, I always find it hard because like every club we have loads of them

We have never paid 55 mil for a player (forget about waiting for a season) who then leaves for nothing.

Not even close.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

We have never paid 55 mil for a player (forget about waiting for a season) who then leaves for nothing.

Not even close.

Yeah, but there's other types of shit. Karius only cost us a few million, but he cost us a European cup. And we've had players like markovic who cost a few quid and never contributed at all before fucking off. And there's other we could talk about, but the point remains pretty much the same on them. At least keita has contributed some times. I'm not trying to say he's been a good signing - he hasn't if he goes for free or stays. I just think there's lots of crap signings and it's hard to single out one.