You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He wants to win trophies though doesn't he? I wonder where he could go and manage that while earning 500k per week?

I would think Bayern would be his ideal destination once Lew goes to Barca. He will be paid very good wages (not sure about 500k though) and guaranteed to win German title to add to the English, Spanish and Italian titles. 

6 hours ago, SlugTrail said:

The thing I was getting at was why buy Jacob Ramsey when jones is already a better player and struggles to get game time. As for being loaned, that seems to be a bit of a kisss of death where our players are concerned.

Only really Elliott that has gone on loan and properly come back into the fold. Origi ended up back on the fold because he was so bad out.on loan nobody wanted him at our valuation.

I don’t believe at the moment he’s as good as Ramsey. He might have a higher ceiling, but he needs to show it consistently. 

12 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

I would think Bayern would be his ideal destination once Lew goes to Barca. He will be paid very good wages (not sure about 500k though) and guaranteed to win German title to add to the English, Spanish and Italian titles. 

Maybe. Although you sense they blew Lewandowski's budget on sadio.

11 hours ago, aRdja said:

To make some sort of profit on him, say if we sold him for £20m.

5m is no sort a profit, it's just an expensive loan and not a chance we should sell him for 20m. The lad is light years a better footballer than say neco who we want 15m for. I wouldn't consider any offer under 40m. In fact I wouldn't sell him. A loan would be ok if we signed a player who would be at least good enough to compete with thiago/Henderson/fab. 

• Upvote 1

I just don't really see a particularly high ceiling with Jones. I realise those that watched him in the youth set up think he's hugely talented but he seems a little too slow in both body and mind to make it with us.

He's technically decent so he's always going to have moments like the Everton goal, but overall I think we usually look a worse side with him in it 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

I just don't really see a particularly high ceiling with Jones. I realise those that watched him in the youth set up think he's hugely talented but he seems a little too slow in both body and mind to make it with us.

He's technically decent so he's always going to have moments like the Everton goal, but overall I think we usually look a worse side with him in it 

I think he's got some tremendous ability to dictate the pace of the game. His passing can be very good, as can his shooting and he's at least as fast as keita, so has an ability to often dribble past players and has very quick feet to get out of tight spaces. My issue with him is despite his outward overconfidence when you hear him speak, I think he often looks a little like he doesn't believe he belongs. That could be because he's been learning to be an adult footballer, while we've tried to change him from a number 10 type player to an almost Gini type player and as a result he is very inconsistent. There's then some of the rumours that the club think he wasn't quite putting a proper shift in and came back out of shape last summer. Although I've seen he's been working with a personal trainer this year. 

I didn't get excited when he had that big performance in Porto last season, my view very much was that was what I think he can do, but we don't see it enough and what he needed to do is start to get to that level 9 in 10 games and not 1 in 5 as he probably is at the moment. 

He has plenty of games behind him now. If we don't sign anyone in midfield, it seems inconceivable he won't have 100 Liverpool performances by the end of it. By 100 games you really do need to be making a proper mark on football games. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think he's got some tremendous ability to dictate the pace of the game. His passing can be very good, as can his shooting and he's at least as fast as keita, so has an ability to often dribble past players and has very quick feet to get out of tight spaces. My issue with him is despite his outward overconfidence when you hear him speak, I think he often looks a little like he doesn't believe he belongs. That could be because he's been learning to be an adult footballer, while we've tried to change him from a number 10 type player to an almost Gini type player and as a result he is very inconsistent. There's then some of the rumours that the club think he wasn't quite putting a proper shift in and came back out of shape last summer. Although I've seen he's been working with a personal trainer this year. 

I didn't get excited when he had that big performance in Porto last season, my view very much was that was what I think he can do, but we don't see it enough and what he needed to do is start to get to that level 9 in 10 games and not 1 in 5 as he probably is at the moment. 

He has plenty of games behind him now. If we don't sign anyone in midfield, it seems inconceivable he won't have 100 Liverpool performances by the end of it. By 100 games you really do need to be making a proper mark on football games. 

Spot on, Mr Wom.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

5m is no sort a profit, it's just an expensive loan and not a chance we should sell him for 20m. The lad is light years a better footballer than say neco who we want 15m for. I wouldn't consider any offer under 40m. In fact I wouldn't sell him. A loan would be ok if we signed a player who would be at least good enough to compete with thiago/Henderson/fab. 

Apparently he’s not a wum or a calculated comedic genius or clueless. Or any combination of the three. Just sold my neighbour 100 small tomato plants for £20 he will put them in his greenhouse and pay for the heating, compost and feed, when there are 1000 juicy ripe tomatoes I will buy them back for £25.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

I would have thought the States with Gareth Fail would be his ideal destination , for sufficient adulation and cash.

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Chelsea sold loads of players on with a buy back clause; Tammy Abraham is one of them from memory. The £ is arbitrary, not worth wasting our time negotiating. He just needs regular games to kick on, and at the moment he’s behind our starters and Keita. He’s regressed over the past couple of years, something’s gotta change. 

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Chelsea sold loads of players on with a buy back clause; Tammy Abraham is one of them from memory. The £ is arbitrary, not worth wasting our time negotiating. He just needs regular games to kick on, and at the moment he’s behind our starters and Keita. He’s regressed over the past couple of years, something’s gotta change. 

Chelsea have. They also run the biggest squad in the league because they believe human beings are commodities to be traded, so their model is completely different to ours and this is literally their model. Ours is to find players, improve them and let them make our 1st team - we sell the ones who won't make it. It's why we slimmed down the academy too a few years ago. 

If all you want to give Jones is game time and that's all he needs, why would you sell and not loan (or keep him and let him earn his games)? Why would a club want to invest in a footballer who we can buy back for pennies more? So buybacks are a thing and usually operate at double to cost or more of the initial purchase (see your Tammy Abraham example). The only exception I can think to that was when Barca used to do it and it didn't work for them. 

And he hasn't regressed over the last couple of years. He's 21 and like most 21 years olds their career trajectory is not linear. He will have ups and downs, but as he gets out of his late teens/early twenties and starts to get towards 100-120 appearances for the club and his mid twenties, he should start showing more consistency. He's not there yet, but there absolutely no reason to think he can't get in front of keita this season. Keita had his best season for the club last year and was still really not significantly better than Jones and Jones has certainly shown he has a higher bar imo. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, aRdja said:

The only team I can think of that have made buy back clauses work for them is Real Madrid.

Chelsea, arguably, could have made it work far better if they weren't in such a rush to sell off the academy in an attempt to splash the cash over the last 2 or 3 seasons.

The fact the likes of Guehi, Tomori and Abraham are succeeding at other clubs while Chelsea are scrambling around the market desperately trying to sign defenders and strikers is gross mismanagement.

17 hours ago, bizzle10 said:

Id actually just love us to sign Ronaldo for a season just for the fume/piss boiling and meltdown it would cause in Mancland

What an absolutely appalling notion. Fuck having that rapist cunt here, I would stop watching us. 

Even getting past my hatred of him as a person, imagine selling Mane to free up wages for this prick, especially after dicking around agreeing terms with Mo. 

I'd rather we signed Neymar, Pogba and Richarlison and then stick my sweaty balls in a blender singing an Oasis tune. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Chelsea have. They also run the biggest squad in the league because they believe human beings are commodities to be traded, so their model is completely different to ours and this is literally their model. Ours is to find players, improve them and let them make our 1st team - we sell the ones who won't make it. It's why we slimmed down the academy too a few years ago. 

If all you want to give Jones is game time and that's all he needs, why would you sell and not loan (or keep him and let him earn his games)? Why would a club want to invest in a footballer who we can buy back for pennies more? So buybacks are a thing and usually operate at double to cost or more of the initial purchase (see your Tammy Abraham example). The only exception I can think to that was when Barca used to do it and it didn't work for them. 

And he hasn't regressed over the last couple of years. He's 21 and like most 21 years olds their career trajectory is not linear. He will have ups and downs, but as he gets out of his late teens/early twenties and starts to get towards 100-120 appearances for the club and his mid twenties, he should start showing more consistency. He's not there yet, but there absolutely no reason to think he can't get in front of keita this season. Keita had his best season for the club last year and was still really not significantly better than Jones and Jones has certainly shown he has a higher bar imo. 

I don’t think we’re ‘above’ it. Believe he have a buy-back clause for Brewster and Solanke. I’m okay with either loan or a sale with a buyback clause for Jones. I wanted to bring Jacob Ramsey in, and thought that Jones could really do with regular game time, and clubs tend to give their own more leeway than players on loan. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Agree with all of that. I’m a big fan of his but he needs to go up a level again this season. 

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Fair enough. Can't say I've seen anything that makes me think he has it in him to dictate matches but I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

I suppose the only thing that stops me being convinced he won't make it is the clear, genuine faith that Klopp has in his ability. I'm not an arrogant man, and I'm willing to concede he knows as much as I do (maybe even more!) about spotting talented footballers, so hopefully it is just a case of him playing within himself while he learns a new role.

• Upvote 6

16 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

Fair enough. Can't say I've seen anything that makes me think he has it in him to dictate matches but I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

I suppose the only thing that stops me being convinced he won't make it is the clear, genuine faith that Klopp has in his ability. I'm not an arrogant man, and I'm willing to concede he knows as much as I do (maybe even more!) about spotting talented footballers, so hopefully it is just a case of him playing within himself while he learns a new role.

I'm with you mate.

Really don't see him ever becoming a big player for us. He'll always be a squad player or he'll get sold.

• Upvote 1