You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

If we can bring in a central midfielder before the window closes I'll be a happy man. We may a lot of numbers in the midfield area but only have 3 genuine quality players there, and Thiago and Hendo are both brittle. I'd happily move on both Ox and Keita if we can bring in a quality player like Bellingham.

20 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

How do work permits get awarded these days? Would we get one? 

I don't know. Maybe on the basis of him being an outstanding talent they could get one if it's true.

I imagine we will see more links to Brazil with Ward having history there. If FSG buy a club there it may add to that as well.

14 hours ago, Geoff Woade said:

I like Rabiot, hasn’t hit the heights but he’s some player him and a proper physical presence. Looks like he’s made the mistake of chasing the money rather than focussing on his career which is a real waste of talent. 

He made the mistake of doing what mummy tells him to.

People are desperate for us to get a CM in like Bellingham, but we literally have no backup at right wing and Salah leaving for free on the horizon. We would likely have to spend as much as we are gonna spend on Bellingham to get a remotely suitable replacement.

Meaning if we could get Bellingham in this summer, I'd be a lot happier, because I have a hard time believing, given the limited spending we've outlayed, that we would sanction two massive money signings next summer in Bellingham and Salah's replacement. So if we have enough for Bellingham in this years budget, we could put everything into a top class RW for the season after.

Don't care what people say about how important Mane has been, it's going to be much more difficult to replace Salah than Mane. Salah has averaged just under 23 goals and 9 assists per season with us, vs Mane's 15 goals and 5 assists. That's 32 goal contributions every year vs 20. Last season Salah had 23 goals and 13 assists, vs Mane 16 goals and 2 assists. I know we have Salah for another season, but it's the Salah replacement that has me worried about what comes after.

Even if Salah does sign a new contract, we don't have any depth on that side like we do on the left, it's arguably as important or more than a new midfielder.

Does everybody largely agree that we operate under a sell-to-buy (+25m) policy? I think that is widely accepted as truth. If somebody disagrees with that, I'd love to know which year we've gone above a 20-40m net spend.

Given this, how exactly do we plan to replace Salah and bring in a midfielder next year?

Next year, we'll be losing the following players for nothing as things stand:

• Salah
  • Bobby
  • Oxlaid
  • Milner
  • Keita (potentially)

Even if we manage to extend Bobby and Keita (I dont think we should extend either tbh), we will be losing two midfielders and our most potent attacker. 

If we aren't getting money for any of the above, how exactly do we plan to bring in a world class midfielder and attacker in one window with 40m net? I can't even think of anybody we'd have left to sell next year to add to the kitty.

Buying a midfielder this year is imperative. Even if we want to keep Oxlaid around (waste of time), he's walking away for free in a few months.

57 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Does everybody largely agree that we operate under a sell-to-buy (+25m) policy? I think that is widely accepted as truth. If somebody disagrees with that, I'd love to know which year we've gone above a 20-40m net spend.

Given this, how exactly do we plan to replace Salah and bring in a midfielder next year?

• Salah
  • Bobby
  • Oxlaid
  • Milner
  • Keita (potentially)

Even if we manage to extend Bobby and Keita (I dont think we should extend either tbh), we will be losing two midfielders and our most potent attacker. 

If we aren't getting money for any of the above, how exactly do we plan to bring in a world class midfielder and attacker in one window with 40m net? I can't even think of anybody we'd have left to sell next year to add to the kitty.

Buying a midfielder this year is imperative. Even if we want to keep Oxlaid around (waste of time), he's walking away for free in a few months.

I don't think we will buy a first choice midfielder and a striker next summer. If we end up buying a replacement for Mo next summer, which is highly likely now, I don't see us buying a midfielder as well. There just won't be the budget.

Personally I think we should buy 2 midfielders over this summer and next. 1 in DM and one for Thiago and Hendo cover.

I still feel they are bluffing over a midfielder this summer. I think Bellingham at best will be a pre contract but I just don't think he is the real target. I think we will bring in a first team player maybe late in the window and probably next summer bring in a young midfield player for not huge money.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Probably bollocks but this lad is the best player we've ever had since Nunez. I've never heard of him. Naturally if we don't sign him then we are shit. 

I was in when it said he's the new Romario.

But googling his name brings up loads of references calling him the new Neymar so he can fuck off the shit cunt. 

2 minutes ago, HBenn said:

I don't think we will buy a midfielder and a striker next summer. If we end up buying a replacement for Mo next summer, which is highly likely now, I don't see us buying a midfielder as well. There just won't be the budget.

Personally I think we should buy 2 midfielders over this summer and next. 1 in DM and one for Thiago and Hendo cover.

I still feel they are bluffing over a midfielder this summer. I think Bellingham at best will be a pre contract but I just don't think he is the real target. 

We will basically be hoping the likes of Jones, Elliott and Carvalho can step up and progress to fill those spaces. Which in addition to hoping for progression for Diaz and Nunez to progress is a very bad way to prepare for the new generation to replace the old guard. Salah is the big one though, you might not be able to directly replacement his contributions, but they have to be looking for the best option they can acquire, regardless of cost, unless they are basically comfortable letting the team drift back to the pack leaving City to dominate the league year in year out.

1 hour ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

• Salah
  • Bobby
  • Oxlaid
  • Milner
  • Keita (potentially)

I think you're right on what we get to spend. And while I accept I think klopp sometimes likes the challenge, I just can't believe for a moment he signed up for these extra years without some assurances around how we manage this. No matter how the FSG fan boys want to spin it, we just have to have loads of money available if we need to make a couple of signings. They don't need to be Bellingham at 100m, but surely there's a couple of players in the 30-60m bracket we can target over the remainder of this window, January and next summer? 

I can't be doing with our owners, but they just can't be so stupid to think doing nothing to replace Salah would be ok. 

Out of that list, keita surely gets renewed. Maybe Bobby too. Chamberlain and milner get replaced by a new midfielder. Salah we need to replace. I think it's manageable even within the tightness of our owners. 

24 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

I was in when it said he's the new Romario.

But googling his name brings up loads of references calling him the new Neymar so he can fuck off the shit cunt. 

The two faced cunt 

I'm half in 

Its bizarre for any kid to be termed as the "next Neymar", its actually an insult considering for majority of his career he has played for a state owned corrupt cunts and won league medals that are as useful as door stoppers.

Has not won anything for Brazil either. I am still annoyed he missed that 7-1 tonking from Germany. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Mook said:

Why are people still talking about Bellingham?

We won't be signing him, never in a million years.

Its the media going nuts over the fact we are not signing a midfielder. So they go from Bellingham to Barella to Otavio to Gini and they come back to.................Bellingham again.

It all points to Real doing another one over us next summer like they did for the lad from Monaco this summer. 

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't know what the work permit stuff you need in England is, but we should try to sign some of these Brazilians and Argentinians from their domestic leagues. You can get real talent for good value still. 

We have done that in the past with limited success. You could only class Lucas one one of those successes.

For the right player definitely but for prospects it's often more hassle than it's worth.

• Upvote 1