You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

9 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Don't fancy Barella to work out myself. 

Reckon he will end up at Juve if he leaves. Bellingham wo t happen, ww are already leaking he may be too expensive. 

Could do with a proper unit in the midfield, a box to box player. Can do what Hendo did for a few years. Also able to cover deeper or play in a 2. 

Milner legs are not there to play many minutes, he's look OK in cameos but often off the pace. Hendo form nosedived after his new deal. Suddenly started looking a but older, though maybe just tired. Thiago misses games,Fabinho misses a few. Jones needs to step up now or he never will. In a ideal world you'd get someone in a loan him out. Keita was better but still looks a liability when not pressing high without the ball. Ox is done. There's quote a few question marks in that midfield at the moment. 

On paper when gbe starters are fit Fabinho,Thiago and another looks fine but if Thiago is out most of the creativity and ability to move the ball quickly is gone

I can only think that journos are just guessing at the moment. Last summer it was all about waiting for this summer as the club expected for there to be better value. Towards the end of the season the priority was going to be a midfielder. Then it was they liked Tchou but didn't expect to get him. Then it was wait until next summer to get Bellingham and then, within a week it was Bellingham likely to be too expensive and then it was Barella or Savic next summer. 

Why on earth if it is Barella or Savic it would have to be next summer is beyond me. 

It's always just excuses when it means them actually spending money without selling. 

There are two clubs who haven't been in the Champions League for a number of years that are able to spend money without really selling anyone and not having the CL money. We've not got an entire stadium to pay off, £80m for the new stand and £110m for the Main Stand that was completed in 2016. Not sure how much of that has been paid yet but it has earned the club £25m extra per season since completion. 

We've been in every competition, normally get the highest TV revenue and this year is our 5th consecutive year in the CL, three of which we've earned maximum or near to maximum money from by being in 3 finals. Barely anything seems to make a difference to how we operate. We've cut Mane, Karius, Origi, Minamino and soon Neco Williams from the wage bill in addition to a load of other players who've been released. 

Not saying we should just go out and waste money buying players for the sake if it, I just don't know any club who goes to great lengths to brief the media about how we will never spend money or constantly say the next transfer window will be a big one. I don't even bother reading any articles anymore because it's basically just the same message just with different players and comparing other clubs transfer business. 

• Upvote 5

Sterling to Chelsea for a reported £55m when he’s got just a year left on his contract has a whiff of City over inflating the transfer fee received for ffp purposes. But why would Chelsea play along now they’re under new American ownership? Surely Chelsea aren’t actually going to pay £55m when they’ve seen Mané go to Bayern for £35 including add ons?

30 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

It's always just excuses when it means them actually spending money without selling. 

There are two clubs who haven't been in the Champions League for a number of years that are able to spend money without really selling anyone and not having the CL money. We've not got an entire stadium to pay off, £80m for the new stand and £110m for the Main Stand that was completed in 2016. Not sure how much of that has been paid yet but it has earned the club £25m extra per season since completion. 

We've been in every competition, normally get the highest TV revenue and this year is our 5th consecutive year in the CL, three of which we've earned maximum or near to maximum money from by being in 3 finals. Barely anything seems to make a difference to how we operate. We've cut Mane, Karius, Origi, Minamino and soon Neco Williams from the wage bill in addition to a load of other players who've been released. 

Not saying we should just go out and waste money buying players for the sake if it, I just don't know any club who goes to great lengths to brief the media about how we will never spend money or constantly say the next transfer window will be a big one. I don't even bother reading any articles anymore because it's basically just the same message just with different players and comparing other clubs transfer business. 

The problem with complaining about the lack of funds available ,  is that no one other than those on the inside actually know if it's true. 

I have absolutely no doubt that if Klopp wanted more money available , he'd get it - no doubt in my mind. 

The "problem" , is he's extremely fussy about who he wants at the club. It drives me nuts that we aren't busting a gut to find a world class midfield general, but if Klopp doesn't see the one he wants , he's not going in for one . I believe that's all there is to it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Sterling to Chelsea for a reported £55m when he’s got just a year left on his contract has a whiff of City over inflating the transfer fee received for ffp purposes. But why would Chelsea play along now they’re under new American ownership? Surely Chelsea aren’t actually going to pay £55m when they’ve seen Mané go to Bayern for £35 including add ons?

Sterling is only 27

• Upvote 1

I've seen a few journos going on about how well City do business in the transfer market and never mess about. It's probably a lot easier when you just turn up and pay what the selling club want straight away instead of trying to negotiate with them.

Bit like thinking you're cleverer for buying a house than someone offering 10 or 15 grand below the asking price then coming in with the actual asking price or offering more because you're able to.

51 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

The main stand was supposed to be paid in 7 years, but I seem to recall we're not on that schedule now. 

23 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Sterling is younger and English, so qualifies for home grown. Seems a decent price to me. 

17 minutes ago, elvis said:

The problem with complaining about the lack of funds available ,  is that no one other than those on the inside actually know if it's true. 

I have absolutely no doubt that if Klopp wanted more money available , he'd get it - no doubt in my mind. 

The "problem" , is he's extremely fussy about who he wants at the club. It drives me nuts that we aren't busting a gut to find a world class midfield general, but if Klopp doesn't see the one he wants , he's not going in for one . I believe that's all there is to it.

I think klopp is alright working within a budget and letting players go who he wants - the only high profile one of them we know about is Werner as it was all played out so publicly. But when he's been given money (selling coutinho), he spent in a heartbeat without much thought. I've no doubt if we gave klopp more to spend he'd spend it. I've equally no doubt he's quite comfortable working under the budget constraints he has at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, elvis said:

I disagree , hate the little cunt but £50 mill is a decent price for him 

£55m is more than City paid us for him, and I would say he’s hardly moved on from the promising young English player we sold. He’s also a year away from being able to leave for nothing. 

6 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

£55m is more than City paid us for him, and I would say he’s hardly moved on from the promising young English player we sold. He’s also a year away from being able to leave for nothing. 

He’s a 1 in 2 player now, lightning quick and never hides. He’s a few levels above Lukaku and Werner, he’d be an excellent purchase for Chelsea. £55m is chump change for City, they paid double that for an inferior player in Grealish last summer.

10 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

The market has moved on since then though don't you think? £55m now was about £30m then. 

19 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I disagree , he's a  far more consistent player now. The only surprise about the Chelsea deal, if it happens, is him not leaving for Spain on a bosman. 

8 minutes ago, elvis said:

I disagree , he's a  far more consistent player now. The only surprise about the Chelsea deal, if it happens, is him not leaving for Spain on a bosman. 

Sterling going there is probably the least surprising transfer I've seen. He's got Chelsea player written all over him, the only surprising thing about it is that he isn't already playing for them. 

35 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Sterling going there is probably the least surprising transfer I've seen. He's got Chelsea player written all over him, the only surprising thing about it is that he isn't already playing for them. 

Surprised there’s any space left between all the guns.

On 27/06/2022 at 10:47, Numero Veinticinco said:

I’ve watched Saka play about 3 times, and I genuinely don’t know if he is good. I do have a long standing ‘never buy an Arsenal player because they’re going to be a fanny’ rule, though. I’m fairly sure I’m right on this one. 

Yep, can't argue with science. I've changed my mind, don't want him anymore.

• Upvote 2