You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Anyone thinking Saka is over rated is a retard and has only seen him miss a penalty for england. The guy is class and by far the biggest threat arsenal have, and he gets hacked down every game to and gets up again without much whining. Hes a top class 20 year old player and will become a super star if he leaves arsenal for something bigger.

16 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah I'd be happy with Saka. Seems a really level headed lad when I've heard him interviewed as well. Someone Klopp could make world class. I'm gutted Sarr went off the boil, I thought he was going to be a serious talent. 

Im sure I saw an interview saying he is a really intelligent lad with GCSE A stars all over the place.

Saka is a great talent but I don't know why we would sign him. If we sign him as Salah's replacement he is never going to score the amount of goals Salah scores. If we sign him to play in midfield he will be blocking the path for Elliott and/or Carvalho. 

Edit: just read aws' post in 'if we were to sign..' thread. If we sign Saka and keep Salah then that is the perfect scenario. 

I don't know about Saka, he's obviously decent and should have bags of room to improve because of his young age,, but I am never scared of playing against him.  I think I want a bit more "something" in a forward.

If we went from Mane, Firmino, Salah to two years later having Diaz, Nunez, Saka - well that doesn't seem good?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I don't know about Saka, he's obviously decent and should have bags of room to improve because of his young age,, but I am never scared of playing against him.  I think I want a bit more "something" in a forward.

If we went from Mane, Firmino, Salah to two years later having Diaz, Nunez, Saka - well that doesn't seem good?

Yeah I get you, he’s more of a midfielder than a forward. He’s better at running with the ball than running into space. 

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

I'm not sure there's a right sided forward anywhere who doesn't look like a downgrade on Salah. So you have a choice, buy one who's worse but is already at his peak or buy one who has some talent you can work with who has room to improve and reach that level. As I said before, Saka is miles ahead of where Salah was at the same age. 

I think replacing firmino was a whole lot easier. Good player and all that, but loads of players you can find and I think Jota on the main has done that. We will have to see what Nunez can do. But so far Diaz looks very impressive but he just has to improve his final ball and finishing. And it's not that he's bad, he's just slightly off. There's every chance we end up with a better front 3, or at least just as good. Plus the year we won the league, we pretty much went with the 3, we do now have 5 (admittedly with the question mark over Salah)

We do need to find someone who can play off the right though. It's our biggest problem at the moment as you don't want Salah tor go off for a moment because whoever plays there is not just worse than Salah, they're normally a shadow of themselves too. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Saka is the new Downing. Heard it here first. 

* Files that one away with Nunez being the new Andy Carroll *

Seriously, I know you're taking the piss but I think there's a point to be made here.

I don't know how good Saka will become but his goal record is decent and that's the main thing I'm looking at in a wide attacker. Can't be doing with these wide players who never fucking score. Performance wise, Downing was a decent player for us but he never scored and that basically made him a liability because good teams can't carry attacking players that never score.

It's like that Dwight McNeill cunt. Does my head in when I hear people saying he's good. He's shit. A Championship player at best. I don't think he scored a single goal last season. That's unforgivable for a wide attacker. He's the reason Burnley went down. If he'd scored even five goals they'd probably have stayed up. Aaron Lennon was another one of those Downing-like fuckers too. There are loads of them knocking about actually. Attacking players who get three or four goals a season. Fucking losers, stealing a living they are.

Saka isn't one of them because he got a dozen goals last season. If he gets away from Arsenal because they Arsenalise him he's got a chance of being a really good player.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I can't believe that still makes me a little bit angry. The absolute fucking wanker. 

I like to think it was directed at @RedKnight and I mention it to him regularly.

Any time he gets a little chesty in a group chat I just throw the Downing shushing picture in.

• Upvote 1

Also, the season we won the title Salah wasn't that amazing (he was still very good like, obviously) and didn't win the Golden Boot. If I recall rightly Vardy won it and he was a few goals ahead of Mo.

The roundabout point I'm making here is we don't need 30 league goals from our right wing position to win the title.

75-80 goals split between the five forwards would be sound. So I don't think the world crashes in if Salah leaves and his replacement (whether its Saka or someone else) is only scoring 15-20 league goals.

• Upvote 1

If you move on Saka it’s gotta be this year. Arsenal will either bump his deal up and remove his release clause or qualify for the champions league. If it’s true he can be had for £40m you’d be daft not to do it, at worse he’s the future top class back up of a better player you can sell for a profit if he wants out.

Those of us who think he’s shit presumably think Elliot and Jones are shit too.

21 minutes ago, dave u said:

Seriously, I know you're taking the piss but I think there's a point to be made here.

I don't know how good Saka will become but his goal record is decent and that's the main thing I'm looking at in a wide attacker. Can't be doing with these wide players who never fucking score. Performance wise, Downing was a decent player for us but he never scored and that basically made him a liability because good teams can't carry attacking players that never score.

It's like that Dwight McNeill cunt. Does my head in when I hear people saying he's good. He's shit. A Championship player at best. I don't think he scored a single goal last season. That's unforgivable for a wide attacker. He's the reason Burnley went down. If he'd scored even five goals they'd probably have stayed up. Aaron Lennon was another one of those Downing-like fuckers too. There are loads of them knocking about actually. Attacking players who get three or four goals a season. Fucking losers, stealing a living they are.

Saka isn't one of them because he got a dozen goals last season. If he gets away from Arsenal because they Arsenalise him he's got a chance of being a really good player.

So, I used to watch football like a mother fucker. I couldn’t get enough, premier league, La liga, Bundesliga, it didn’t matter. Now? I watch us. I can’t be bothered with MOTD. Anything I say about players is almost instantly wrong.

I’ve watched Saka play about 3 times, and I genuinely don’t know if he is good. I do have a long standing ‘never buy an Arsenal player because they’re going to be a fanny’ rule, though. I’m fairly sure I’m right on this one. 

33 minutes ago, dave u said:

I think your point is amplified with us. We don't really spread out goals around. The centre backs get odd ones. The midfield really no better. Our goals come from the front 3. It's why I'm a little worried about Diaz. He's looked great, but you just feel he needs to score more - that's maybe more our failing than his. But it's a reality of playing for this Liverpool. For instance, the pressure on the forwards is far less at city as they spread the goals around more than we do. They normally score a similar amount of goals to us and while we'll have 3 of the top 10 scorers in the league, they'll maybe have 1. 

27 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I do have a long standing ‘never buy an Arsenal player because they’re going to be a fannyrule,

One of our best ever transfers, in terms of value for money anyway, came from Arsenal. Ray Kennedy was an inspired signing, helped of course by Bob Paisley recognising what a player he could become with a positional switch. 

I take your point though, most of them are fannies.

Although I do think we should sign Saka, if the price is right. 

1 minute ago, YorkshireRed said:

One of our best ever transfers, in terms of value for money anyway, came from Arsenal. Ray Kennedy was an inspired signing, helped of course by Bob Paisley recognising what a player he could become with a positional switch. 

Yes, definitely meaning in more modern times. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Was Ray Kennedy the one they should have shot instead of JFK? Or was that Alan?