You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

6 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

I’m not sign him for that position exclusively but there’s be plenty of games for him this season if we wanted to get him in 12 months early.  

Definitely a good player - and you’re right, if we really want him we should go for him now rather than risk losing out when Bobby and Mo might be moving on. 

6 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Liverpool ready to sell Salah. Followed by:

Liverpool want to sign Timo Werner

They actually get paid for writing these things?

Echo running the "We have already signed Salah's replacement................apparently in Carvalho". Ffs.

That’s how the Nunez signing made sense to me, to be honest, given how careful we are with money. I’m not sure we would have signed him if Salah had re-signed and we’ll probably wait to see if we really need a big money replacement that can play on the right next summer.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, kemskem said:

That’s how the Nunez signing made sense to me, to be honest, given how careful we are with money. I’m not sure we would have signed him if Salah had re-signed and we’ll probably wait to see if we really need a big money replacement that can play on the right next summer.

I think in tandem, Jota and Diaz replace Mané very well and Nunez is a preemptive Salah replacement as the big goalscorer. 

I assume we'll then plug the gaps with a left footer for balance or dedicated right winger next summer. That player will be seen as the Salah replacement, but to me, we've already the big player, in Darwin.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think in tandem, Jota and Diaz replace Mané very well and Nunez is a preemptive Salah replacement as the big goalscorer. 

I assume we'll then plug the gaps with a left footer for balance or dedicated right winger next summer. That player will be seen as the Salah replacement, but to me, we've already the big player, in Darwin.

I give them a little more credit.

Jota came in to bridge Firminos drop off. That is where he has played the most and the most effectively.

Diaz is the Salah replacement - the % of our attacks shifted dramatically to the left once he was in the side - looking to stretch/get in behind on that side of the field in the same way we did with Salah the last couple of seasons.

Nunez is a direct Mane replacement playing through the middle or off the left.

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I give them a little more credit.

Jota came in to bridge Firminos drop off. That is where he has played the most and the most effectively.

Diaz is the Salah replacement - the % of our attacks shifted dramatically to the left once he was in the side - looking to stretch/get in behind on that side of the field in the same way we did with Salah the last couple of seasons.

Nunez is a direct Mane replacement playing through the middle or off the left.

Diaz won't replace Salah's numbers, but we assume Nunez will based on being a striker, a finisher, etc... That's why he's the Salah replacement. 

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Diaz won't replace Salah's numbers, but we assume Nunez will based on being a striker, a finisher, etc... That's why he's the Salah replacement. 

No one should be expected to replace Salah's numbers - they are among the best in the history of the club.

We just came off a season where we had a record amount of goalscorers in the side ( I think 19). We can more reasonably expect a little more from certain players than a kid to come in and win the Golden Boot.

25 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

No one should be expected to replace Salah's numbers - they are among the best in the history of the club.

We just came off a season where we had a record amount of goalscorers in the side ( I think 19). We can more reasonably expect a little more from certain players than a kid to come in and win the Golden Boot.

I mean, he doesn't have to replace them exactly, but for what we paid, I'm sure we expect some world class numbers, which is by and large what Salah is there for, to provide the numbers.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I mean, he doesn't have to replace them exactly, but for what we paid, I'm sure we expect some world class numbers, which is by and large what Salah is there for, to provide the numbers.

I think we expect to offer a different kind of threat and continued team success. 

Big goals are what we lacked at the end of this last season.

9 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Otavio?

He's the Porto player that hit the deck about 20 times at Anfield. More likely that Porto and his agent are throwing our name in to up the price. Leeds apparently want him, which suggests that the sale of Raphinha is close.

1 minute ago, Trumo said:

He's the Porto player that hit the deck about 20 times at Anfield. More likely that Porto and his agent are throwing our name in to up the price. Leeds apparently want him, which suggests that the sale of Raphinha is close.

wasnt there some little midfielder off Sporting that scored a load of goals this year or last? cant for the life of me remember his name though

3 minutes ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Pote Aka Pedro Goncalves. Really went off the boil the last 6 months.

yeah thats the guy,

just looked at his wiki there, he scored 23 goals in the 20/21 season, but only 8 this season.

i wonder what the issue was, and is he an out and out midfielder? some goal record the season before last

8 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

yeah thats the guy,

just looked at his wiki there, he scored 23 goals in the 20/21 season, but only 8 this season.

i wonder what the issue was, and is he an out and out midfielder? some goal record the season before last

His XG was fucking mad that season. Literally everything he hit went in. He’s had constant niggles all this season. He’s an attacking midfielder, more like a James Maddison type. 
He was at Wolves four years ago and got homesick, so there’s questions over his mentality too.

On 25/06/2022 at 21:35, HBenn said:

I think you are paranoid. I haven't said in any of these posts that I have a problem with FSG. I said he knows the budget and that there is a budget.

Your argument about the money for Diaz and Nunez illustrates the point very nicely. We have finite resources and need to replace a number of areas not just Mane!! 

I also said there were potentially numerous factors that may have influenced him leaving, not just the requirement to replace a number of players. It often is a cumulation of factors that cause you to move.

Sure he will have challenges at other clubs but maybe he will have a much bigger budget to address it with, different people to work with and a fresh environment to do it in.

But this has gone on long enough, I think your arguments are a bit noddy so I think we will have to agree to disagree.

Your raised a few different scenarios, and I found the one that involves Edwards looking three windows ahead, and decided that finding Gini’s replacement over the next three windows would be way too difficult a task, and decided to hand his notice, to be a bit far fetched. A lot of people aren’t convinced that if we brought in Tchouameni for example that he’d be get a game ahead of Hendo, Fabinho and Thiago. Especially as it seems like it would be relatively straightforward compared to the challenges at hand at United or Chelsea, the clubs he’s in talks with. Two clubs which are incidentally not known for being frugal with regards to giving their employees a large pay packet. Make of that what you will.

46 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Your raised a few different scenarios, and I found the one that involves Edwards looking three windows ahead, and decided that finding Gini’s replacement over the next three windows would be way too difficult a task, and decided to hand his notice, to be a bit far fetched. A lot of people aren’t convinced that if we brought in Tchouameni for example that he’d be get a game ahead of Hendo, Fabinho and Thiago. Especially as it seems like it would be relatively straightforward compared to the challenges at hand at United or Chelsea, the clubs he’s in talks with. Two clubs which are incidentally not known for being frugal with regards to giving their employees a large pay packet. Make of that what you will.

Your a waste of time. I never even said it was about finding the replacement for one player and the fact that you keep making that same assertion is mind blowing. You also selectively pick points that suit your agenda while ignoring others that don't. I am not interested in discussing it any further with you because you don't present balanced arguments.