You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

23 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I don't believe the Silva to Barcelona rumours. Barcelona don't have that kind of money.

They may have soon once they’ve sold some of their merchandising arm. And I think some tv rights. Short term gain for long term pain I’d say 

3 hours ago, HBenn said:

With all due respect, read the posts properly because I clearly wasn't saying he was running away from replacing one player. If you had you would see that the suggestion was that he could have looked at the situation, considered that we had a number of quality players in or close to their 30's and a number close to contract expiry. Better than anyone he would have an idea of budget available to replace.

Or it was a high pressure job and he wanted a break.

Either are a lot more plausible than the idea that FSG would let the guy that has made them a mint and they praise at every available opportunity go for the sake of a few quid. Their smart business men, not idiots.

But in your scenario, with his supposed foresight and knowledge of the budget and the market, he would’ve seen that we had €160 million euro in the budget to replace Mane (what we spent on Diaz and Nunez) so replacing him wouldn’t be that much of an issue, if he found the task of replacing Gini over 4 windows too challenging then he wouldn’t be talking to Chelsea under new ownership, who need their entire backline replacing, or United who need their entire team replaced in order to challenge.

We already know that keeping to their wage structure is FSG’s MO, and they’re not even willing to break it for Mo Salah, arguably in the top 3 players in the world. The beauty of this scenario is we’ve already seen it time and again with players therefore doesn’t require half as much fantasy and it still allows you to get annoyed at FSG.

I think Jesus has been excellent for City and probably underrated.

Could still see him being an absolute failure at Arsenal though, like most other players. That kind of shite seems contagious there. 

It’s also an awful drop down for him, which suggests he’s only going there for the money. If he’d any interest in his career he wouldn’t be going near them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

Could still see him being an absolute failure at Arsenal though, like most other players. That kind of shite seems contagious there. 

It’s also an awful drop down for him, which suggests he’s only going there for the money. If he’d any interest in his career he wouldn’t be going near them.

Excellent is pushing it IMO. They purchased him to replace Aguero and never really nailed down a regular starting spot and now he’s being let go. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

Excellent is pushing it IMO. They purchased him to replace Aguero and never really nailed down a regular starting spot and now he’s being let go. 

Hard for a striker to nail down a starting spot with a tactical genius who often sets up without them.

13 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I'd have taken him here. But he needs to be starting regularly. 

11 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Hard for a striker to nail down a starting spot with a tactical genius who often sets up without them.

Fair call but I’d argue the reason is because he hasn’t been clinical enough to warrant it. Aguero and Lewandowski started regularly under him for example. He looks a dangerous player, but you’d have to regard at his stint at City as a bit of a failure IMO.

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

City are not exactly getting weaker. They will essentially swap Jesus, Sterling and a washed Fernandinho for Haaland, Alvarez and Phillips. On paper, that is at least an upgrade on 2 out of the 3 players. Plus Cucurella.

For one half at Anfield that Cucurella looked shite. Second half he looked brilliant. Not sold on him. He'd be 3rd choice here. 

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

For one half at Anfield that Cucurella looked shite. Second half he looked brilliant. Not sold on him. He'd be 3rd choice here. 

I thought he was poor both halves but that 1st half was as bad as anything I've seen. He's decent going forward to be fair, but he's an abomination of a defender, just like Moreno, he puts his body in the wrong place to defend all the time and is very comfortable marking his man with his man goal side. I'm assuming growing up he was the fastest kid and he's been able to get himself out of trouble with pace. That's not so easy in the PL. 

9 hours ago, El Rojo said:

He's not clinical enough and imo, he's not hungry enough. He never tries to get his body across the defender to get to the ball first, he would sooner just hope the ball bypasses him. I think it was another of your posts (sorry if not) that mentions his movement, but for me his movement and lack of aggression to attack the ball I find very divock like. He's more switched on to what's happening around him than Divi, but he's happy to let the game happen to him rather than him make an impact on it. I think he will be absolutely shocking for arsenal, no doubt after scoring a few in his first half dozen games. 

Anyway, I'm made up arsenal have another forward, it perhaps opens the door for us to go after Saka if that release clause is real. 

8 hours ago, Grinch said:

City looking weaker tbh.  Losing their Kuyt is a blow.

Obviously there is a place in teams for players like that but if Arsenal want a goal scorer, I’m not convinced it’s Brazilian Dirk.

Jesus is a decent player but he was more useful and productive for City than he would be at Arsenal. He was never prolific for City despite the creativity they have,  the number of chances they create and the fact most of the teams play with losing mentality against them.

Arsenal spending so much on him is primarily due to Arteta connection and Edu being a Brazilian. Jesus will get a huge contract and Arsenal will be stuck with it (again). I would rather him play for Arsenal than coming off the City bench when they are trailing/drawing and creating 1 million chances every minute.

Guess there's a reason Neymar isn't looking for a move anytime soon.

Wowsers...

'In between the larger headlines L’Équipe has reported that there is a countdown in play, that Neymar has a clause in his contract to the effect that should he remain at the club on 1 July his deal will automatically extend to 2027. If this is true Neymar would be 35 when that runs out. To pay him off would cost about €200m. From here this looks like a career sentence, a life encircled like no other by the inanity, the ruined world of billionaire nation-state sport.'

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/jun/24/the-neymar-identity-footballs-first-real-career-commodity-player-psg

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Hopefully this Alvarez is shite. He doesn't look it though. 

Well Jesus was the last south American wonder kid forward they bought and it didn't pan out how they wanted, so I'm clinging to that hope. 

14 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Guess there's a reason Neymar isn't looking for a move anytime soon.

Wowsers...

'In between the larger headlines L’Équipe has reported that there is a countdown in play, that Neymar has a clause in his contract to the effect that should he remain at the club on 1 July his deal will automatically extend to 2027. If this is true Neymar would be 35 when that runs out. To pay him off would cost about €200m. From here this looks like a career sentence, a life encircled like no other by the inanity, the ruined world of billionaire nation-state sport.'

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/jun/24/the-neymar-identity-footballs-first-real-career-commodity-player-psg

When you look at the figures being bestowed on has-beens or never-wassers in that golf thing, the Neymar deal looks fairly run of the mill in view of his status. 

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

When you look at the figures being bestowed on has-beens or never-wassers in that golf thing, the Neymar deal looks fairly run of the mill in view of his status. 

He signed for them five years ago, so the total amount of money that will spent on him in this deal has to be around the £1B mark, it is absolutely astonishing.