You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Mounts a better player than he's getting credit for here and made big steps last year. If he's worth the fee they demand is another thong. But after two season(league only) of 6/7 goals and 5/5 assists he doubled that (11/10)last year and he isn't 24 till next year. If he played in the Bundesliga or Portugal he's the sort of player on the rise we would be looking at

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Mounts a better player than he's getting credit for here and made big steps last year. If he's worth the fee they demand is another thong. But after two season(league only) of 6/7 goals and 5/5 assists he doubled that (11/10)last year and he isn't 24 till next year. If he played in the Bundesliga or Portugal he's the sort of player on the rise we would be looking at

What you've typed here is the point I was trying to make though. I know his numbers are good. I know he's rated highly. I just find him really underwhelming to watch. I never see him do something that makes me think that was amazing. It's mostly, that should have been defended better etc. And maybe he forces those mistakes, but again, that's such an underwhelming quality as a spectator/viewer. 

21 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

While goals are goals it's worth noting who he scored against.

45% of his goals came against the bottom 3, 72% against the bottom 5, 91% against the bottom 6. The only team he scored against outside of the the bottom 6 was West Ham in a 3-2 loss.

Might seem churlish to point that out but when we've just signed a player and part of the appeal was the goals they scored the big games against top opposition then it's something to consider.

If he played in the Bundesliga or Primeira Liga he'd be on our list but he wouldn't be at the top.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Supposedly Nunez does a lot off left wing stuff too (I seem to remember he did it for a period against us actually). And there's Gordon too. And as for midfield, I would hate to see any 2 man midfield that includes keita. And keita with milner as a 2, fuck me.   

I get the point that's being made, I just don't see us going there. 

He just gets better and better 

596FA0B9-DB4D-46C4-A7A6-9CFB305B33E2.jpeg

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, HBenn said:

The point is they don't pay people what they demand if they don't think they are worth it. We know of a pay structure for the players with big disparities. I am sure there are big disparities among normal employees as well.

But unless Edwards was asking for in excess of Klopp, as arguably the other most important member of staff I doubt the real reason was down to money.

As a hypothesis it’s still a lot more feasible than him running away from the prospect of finding a replacement for Gini Wijnaldum IMO, which sounds make-believe if I’m honest, with all due respect.

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Supposedly Nunez does a lot off left wing stuff too (I seem to remember he did it for a period against us actually). And there's Gordon too. And as for midfield, I would hate to see any 2 man midfield that includes keita. And keita with milner as a 2, fuck me.   

I get the point that's being made, I just don't see us going there. 

I can't see Nunez on the left. Specially not in a 4231. And especially with Diaz and Jota competing for that too.

in my opinion, he's been brought in as a proper #9 and will transform the way we play much like Torres did.

As for the 2 midfield, it's a lot better having our main 3 fight for 2 spots than having to see Keita or Milner when one of them are out.

36 minutes ago, m0e said:

I can't see Nunez on the left. Specially not in a 4231. And especially with Diaz and Jota competing for that too.

in my opinion, he's been brought in as a proper #9 and will transform the way we play much like Torres did.

As for the 2 midfield, it's a lot better having our main 3 fight for 2 spots than having to see Keita or Milner when one of them are out.

I think you're right he will play through the middle - but I'm just pointing out he has and does do other things. For me I'm not so sure it's about a proper number 9 as much as having someone who's maybe a little more clinical. It doesn't matter which position he plays if he can put them away. I don't know if the performances against us were typical of him, but he was ruthless in a way we've not had since it clicked for Suarez. Even the offside goals, nobody knew they were offside and he took them all brilliantly. I don't know enough about him, just what I saw against us, but klopp does like some flexibility in his forwards. 

As for the last paragraph, I'm not sure it helps the midfield playing another forward. I understand the point that we get closer to our best 11 players on the pitch, but balance is everything and I don't think we will make too many forwards our starting point. But we can talk about this forever, we'll know for sure in a few weeks. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

While goals are goals it's worth noting who he scored against.

45% of his goals came against the bottom 3, 72% against the bottom 5, 91% against the bottom 6. The only team he scored against outside of the the bottom 6 was West Ham in a 3-2 loss.

Might seem churlish to point that out but when we've just signed a player and part of the appeal was the goals they scored the big games against top opposition then it's something to consider.

If he played in the Bundesliga or Primeira Liga he'd be on our list but he wouldn't be at the top.

He's scored against us and generally looked very dangerous any time we have faced him. He's a really clever player, could easily be moulded into a Bobby type no9. He looks every bit the Tory so its a no for me.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, aRdja said:

As a hypothesis it’s still a lot more feasible than him running away from the prospect of finding a replacement for Gini Wijnaldum IMO, which sounds make-believe if I’m honest, with all due respect.

With all due respect, read the posts properly because I clearly wasn't saying he was running away from replacing one player. If you had you would see that the suggestion was that he could have looked at the situation, considered that we had a number of quality players in or close to their 30's and a number close to contract expiry. Better than anyone he would have an idea of budget available to replace.

Or it was a high pressure job and he wanted a break.

Either are a lot more plausible than the idea that FSG would let the guy that has made them a mint and they praise at every available opportunity go for the sake of a few quid. Their smart business men, not idiots.

I think I posted about Phillips before Leeds got promoted. He looked good then. But, since he came up to the Premier League, he’s been above average, at best. Doesn’t really seem good or quick enough with the ball to fit in to how City play. 

Unless Guardiola can raise him up a level or two, it seems quite a strange and underwhelming signing. 

20 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

I think I posted about Phillips before Leeds got promoted. He looked good then. But, since he came up to the Premier League, he’s been above average, at best. Doesn’t really seem good or quick enough with the ball to fit in to how City play. 

Unless Guardiola can raise him up a level or two, it seems quite a strange and underwhelming signing. 

Guess he'll be Rodri's back up (Fernandinho's replacement) and occasionally do the job Gundogan did.

Be very surprised if he starts the number of games he'd hope to.

46 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

He just needs him to tactical foul the opposition as soon as the ball is lost break up play.

• Upvote 2