You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Hence the caveat being if we’re set on having 4-2-3-1 as a genuine option. 

I don't see that would mean people could stop running. Even our forwards put a shift in. 

I don't know where the idea that "we're set on having 4231" comes from to be honest. I think it all comes from the fact everyone thinks despite our depth in midfield, it's not good enough, so a way to keep our best 3 midfielders on the pitch is to play only 2 midfielders. Fuck knows what we do with the other 5 in that situation. 

There's a big difference between 4-2-3-1 setups anyway, we've switched between them midgame under Klopp in the past and probably will in future.

Like under Rafa our 4-2-3-1 was basically a 4-4-1-1 with Gerrard off Torres and wingers who were midfielders out of possession. Then under Rodgers we played it as more of a 4-3-3 at times, very attacking wingers (eg. Sterling) high up the pitch and looking to get in behind, with the number 10 being a midfielder rather than an attacker, like Joe Allen, just with a bit more licence to get forward than the other two.

Our system under Klopp is so fluid it can be almost anything, it's about getting the right players on the pitch for the situation at hand rather than a specific formation.

19 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, but he might move their analysis away from how many Instagram followers a player has to something to do with what they do on the pitch.

To be honest (and I might be wrong here), but I can't think of any top line director of football type who has been able to transfer those skills to another club with the same success. 

You’re surely not forgetting Steve Walsh and Marcel Brands?

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't see that would mean people could stop running. Even our forwards put a shift in. 

I don't know where the idea that "we're set on having 4231" comes from to be honest. I think it all comes from the fact everyone thinks despite our depth in midfield, it's not good enough, so a way to keep our best 3 midfielders on the pitch is to play only 2 midfielders. Fuck knows what we do with the other 5 in that situation. 

We switched to 4-2-3-1 in the last couple of games of the season when we needed a goal. The Athletic posted a lengthy article about it just recently. We also know that it’s a formation Klopp likes. I personally have been championing it here for the past two years at least. You’ve also got your logic mixed up, Fabinho and Thiago are *that* good we don’t really need another body in there, let’s throw an attacking player instead. 

16 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

To be honest (and I might be wrong here), but I can't think of any top line director of football type who has been able to transfer those skills to another club with the same success. 

True enough. He was just one part of a great system.  Klopp was likely very easy for him to work with by football manager standards. I'd strongly suspect that's the exception rather than the rule among football managers. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

True enough. He was just one part of a great system.  Klopp was likely very easy for him to work with by football manager standards. I'd strongly suspect that's the exception rather than the rule among football managers. 

Txiki Begiristain hasn’t done too bad! 

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, aRdja said:

We switched to 4-2-3-1 in the last couple of games of the season when we needed a goal. The Athletic posted a lengthy article about it just recently. We also know that it’s a formation Klopp likes. I personally have been championing it here for the past two years at least. You’ve also got your logic mixed up, Fabinho and Thiago are *that* good we don’t really need another body in there, let’s throw an attacking player instead. 

Think it was more 4-2-4 and put all our forwards on, which Klopp has done numerous times over the last 3 years.

I'm not saying it won't happen, just sounds like complete guesswork and conjecture. Can't imagine Klopp or his team have extensively briefed the athletic about their tactical plans.

Also heard that we might do it to accommodate Nunez, which I don't get either. We didn't do it to accommodate Jota last season.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Feels a bit odd that we're letting the guy we routinely herald as some kind of transfer genius just walk out the door.

Would be even more odd if he walked out of the door to a Premier League rival.

Why is he leaving? Are we not paying him competitively? Or is he sick of being told 'next season'?

Probably a bit of both.

The Athletic insinuated that Klopp will have a bigger say in stuff now and the relationship wasn't all that rosy. Edwards says he is leaving in December and Klopp renews in April. Are they linked? Probably not, but it has been inferred.

Maybe Edwards got fed up of the budget. Remember how you couldn't move 2 or 3 years ago for an article about how the club plan 2-3 windows ahead? Now, you never hear about that. But we have a lot of players whose contract are expiring all at the same time and a number of players heading or already in their 30's. Does that sound like the approach of a man that plans 3 windows ahead? We are supposedly after a midfielder and Klopp has tasked Ward with finding one that meets that criteria for next summer. Surely for a club that far ahead we have at least 5 on a list already. Some of which were available last summer when Gini moved, some that are available now. Maybe it was forced on us by pandemic finances and Edwards is aware the money is not there, has foreseen the drop-off and got out while the going is good.

Or maybe, it's a highly demanding job, it's all bollocks and he just fancied a break before starting again.

Who knows, we probably won't know for another 10-15 years when he releases a book

15 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Probably a bit of both.

The Athletic insinuated that Klopp will have a bigger say in stuff now and the relationship wasn't all that rosy. Edwards says he is leaving in December and Klopp renews in April. Are they linked? Probably not, but it has been inferred.

Maybe Edwards got fed up of the budget. Remember how you couldn't move 2 or 3 years ago for an article about how the club plan 2-3 windows ahead? Now, you never hear about that. But we have a lot of players whose contract are expiring all at the same time and a number of players heading or already in their 30's. Does that sound like the approach of a man that plans 3 windows ahead? We are supposedly after a midfielder and Klopp has tasked Ward with finding one that meets that criteria for next summer. Surely for a club that far ahead we have at least 5 on a list already. Some of which were available last summer when Gini moved, some that are available now. Maybe it was forced on us by pandemic finances and Edwards is aware the money is not there, has foreseen the drop-off and got out while the going is good.

Or maybe, it's a highly demanding job, it's all bollocks and he just fancied a break before starting again.

Who knows, we probably won't know for another 10-15 years when he releases a book

I highly doubt Edwards is moving because we didn’t buy Gini’s replacement last summer, but who knows he could well be that simple.

32 minutes ago, etho said:

Think it was more 4-2-4 and put all our forwards on, which Klopp has done numerous times over the last 3 years.

I'm not saying it won't happen, just sounds like complete guesswork and conjecture. Can't imagine Klopp or his team have extensively briefed the athletic about their tactical plans.

Also heard that we might do it to accommodate Nunez, which I don't get either. We didn't do it to accommodate Jota last season.

Klopp dominated in Germany playing largely 4-2-3-1, and that was also his most frequently used setup in the first half of the season we won the CL.

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

The story that was pushed when he first quit is he wants to go in a completely different direction. I guess we'll see shortly. I saw something the other week, he's not allowed to join anyone till the end of this window. I don't know how true that is. 

Read a while back he was wanting to set up his own consultancy company rather than be employed by a club.

The thought being he’d seen how much agents were making and he could work for a variety of clubs and charge a percentage of transfer fees for players recommended. 

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

I highly doubt Edwards is moving because we didn’t buy Gini’s replacement last summer, but who knows he could well be that simple.

That is the thing with bright people, they foresee issues and start early before problems present themselves.

As a bright guy he probably realised that you cannot do it all in one summer and if your not careful you end up with everyone realising you really need a midfielder and get charged through the nose. While also having to replace other areas of the team. For instance, I dunno, maybe like a star striker.

6 minutes ago, HBenn said:

That is the thing with bright people, they foresee issues and start early before problems present themselves.

As a bright guy he probably realised that you cannot do it all in one summer and if your not careful you end up with everyone realising you really need a midfielder and get charged through the nose. While also having to replace other areas of the team. For instance, I dunno, maybe like a star striker.

Maybe he forseen the midfield problem and got Thiago in before Gini left.

Likewise with getting Diaz in before Mane left. 

35 minutes ago, HBenn said:

If his job is enough to dissuade him from doing his job then I doubt we'll miss him much.

29 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Lol yeah HBenn I suppose that’s one possible (if overly convoluted) scenario.

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

If his job is enough to dissuade him from doing his job then I doubt we'll miss him much.

Well that is why people leave roles right? Get frustrated with their bosses and look to do something different where circumstances are more favourable.