You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

What’s more likely this season?

1.We debate the virtues of Tyler Morton starting games.

2. We discuss using Matip as an auxiliary dm.

3. Jay Spearing discovers that Klopp hugs are like his spinach and becomes our league cup hero.

I suppose if things really get bad in midfield at any point we can finally see Trent get a run in there whilst Ramsey fills in and we will all finally know for sure that the best right back in the world is a better right back than midfielder.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's the same "Klopp isn't getting backed" vs. "Klopp is happy with the squad" debate every single summer. You'd think that when the guy will have extended his contract twice and will have stayed here over a decade, it's not a problem of not being backed. You would think, eh.

You are right, we all imagined that time we had to play Rhys Williams and Henderson in defense. It didn't happen.

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's the same "Klopp isn't getting backed" vs. "Klopp is happy with the squad" debate every single summer. You'd think that when the guy will have extended his contract twice and will have stayed here over a decade, it's not a problem of not being backed. You would think, eh.

Exactly. Same jabroni’s every year in the “Klopp isn’t getting backed” camp. You can’t engage them in discussion because they always bring it back to that point. Like arguing with an Evertonion. 

Get me back to August and winning games again to shut this shit up.

Funny how these posters never said much though 2022 so far…

3 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

You are right, we all imagined that time we had to play Rhys Williams and Henderson in defense. It didn't happen.

And that was partly Klopp's fault. He accepted going into a season with 3 CB's, who then all got injured. Why didn't the man who has final say on transfers not insist on having 4 CB's going into the season? 

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Hendo and Fabinho as our centre half pairing was my favourite.

Not you, the usual jabronis ignoring the fact that if we had signed a 4th centre back, we’d still have been short as we’d still have to paid a centre back with Phillips / Fabinho / Hendo / Williams. 

A complete freak occurrence nobody could have foreseen. 

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Not you, the usual jabronis ignoring the fact that if we had signed a 4th centre back, we’d still have been short as we’d still have to paid a centre back with Phillips / Fabinho / Hendo / Williams. 

We went on to sign his preferred target the next summer, who went on to start the Champions League final, and a year after that  terrible season Klopp extended his contract. Clearly signs he isn't backed, mate. Clear as the finest of spring waters.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We went on to sign his preferred target the next summer, who went on to start the Champions League final, and a year after that  terrible season Klopp extended his contract. Clearly signs he isn't backed, mate. Clear as the finest of spring waters.

Yep. Going back round it all again and again and again is beyond pointless. 

Ifithadntbeenforkloppnotgettingbacked

Just now, Scott_M said:

Exactly. Same jabroni’s every year in the “Klopp isn’t getting backed” camp.

Yeah, they're in it for the moaning. I mean, I'd list the transfers and their fees, but what's the point. It's never enough. If we spent 100m on a midfielder, they still would want more, and if we got those they wouldn't be happy. It's just that they said a thing once and can't let it go. 

21 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

41 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Thank God we ended up getting CL otherwise Konate wouldn't have been here. Then it truly would have been meltdown for everyone!!

25 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, they're in it for the moaning. I mean, I'd list the transfers and their fees, but what's the point. It's never enough. If we spent 100m on a midfielder, they still would want more, and if we got those they wouldn't be happy. It's just that they said a thing once and can't let it go. 

Some of them have barely posted in months as well…

Funny that. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, index1000 said:

Christ just Fuck off, please.

I like his comment of “our strategy isn’t working” last night. 

I’d like to hear the definition of this and how it compares to our competitors. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I like his comment of “our strategy isn’t working” last night. 

I’d like to hear the definition of this and how it compares to our competitors. 

Two goals from winning everything. Not working. Turned the club from a thing that had a great history to a club making it. Not working. I think it’s somebody fucking around because nobody can be that much of a cunt. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Two goals from winning everything. Not working. Turned the club from a thing that had a great history to a club making it. Not working. I think it’s somebody fucking around because nobody can be that much of a cunt. 

Clearly. If only we could spend money and attract great players & coaches like Arsenal, Chelsea and the mancs, then we'd be in business.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Carvalho has never played in midfield. His entire 1st team appearances have been in the front line or as a number 10. So as I said, it's a leap to suggest he's getting a game in our midfield. It's far more likely he will replace origi and minamino's minutes in the front line. 

Mate, once you get to the point you don't think the drop off from our main 3 to the rest is big, I don't know what to do for you. As everyone knows, I don't like thiago, but he's fucking clearly streets ahead of everything we have 4th down. Nobody touches fab at 6, including Henderson. And Henderson had a pretty woeful time from around Xmas on till April, looked like he was playing on one leg at times and he was still pissing all over the contributions of keita. People seem to think he's our obvious 4th choice, yet in the Leicester and Chelsea away games over Xmas and new year last season, he was selected behind Chamberlain and milner whilst available. He's been a shocking player for us. Offering him a contract right now feels like the same type of thing we did with lovren and the Ming. If we can get them to stay on a low enough salary, we'll sell as soon as we can, it's about preserving their value in the market. Keita is surely the same, he's not good enough. He's had 4 poor years here and his last at RBL was poor too. So he's not had a good season for 5 years. Sometimes it's time to accept someone just isn't good enough. 

As for "giving players a run"..this is not a charity. Everything has to be earnt. Elliot got his go at the start of last season because he earnt it in pre-season. Jones the opposite because he came back out of condition. Then after Elliot returned, by his own admission he didn't deserve minutes because he didn't do enough in training. So you're right, if these players are to make it here, they need to get minutes. But they both need to do a whole lot more than at times last season to get them. All we've seen from them up to now is they're not at the level yet. 

And chamberlain should never kick a ball for us again. He's a championship level player now. He had one thing going for him when he joined us and it was his ability to burst past people with his strength and speed. They're gone and he is as a footballer as a consequence. 

Really hard to disagree with any of it.

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Carvalho has never played in midfield. His entire 1st team appearances have been in the front line or as a number 10. So as I said, it's a leap to suggest he's getting a game in our midfield. It's far more likely he will replace origi and minamino's minutes in the front line. 

Mate, once you get to the point you don't think the drop off from our main 3 to the rest is big, I don't know what to do for you. As everyone knows, I don't like thiago, but he's fucking clearly streets ahead of everything we have 4th down. Nobody touches fab at 6, including Henderson. And Henderson had a pretty woeful time from around Xmas on till April, looked like he was playing on one leg at times and he was still pissing all over the contributions of keita. People seem to think he's our obvious 4th choice, yet in the Leicester and Chelsea away games over Xmas and new year last season, he was selected behind Chamberlain and milner whilst available. He's been a shocking player for us. Offering him a contract right now feels like the same type of thing we did with lovren and the Ming. If we can get them to stay on a low enough salary, we'll sell as soon as we can, it's about preserving their value in the market. Keita is surely the same, he's not good enough. He's had 4 poor years here and his last at RBL was poor too. So he's not had a good season for 5 years. Sometimes it's time to accept someone just isn't good enough. 

As for "giving players a run"..this is not a charity. Everything has to be earnt. Elliot got his go at the start of last season because he earnt it in pre-season. Jones the opposite because he came back out of condition. Then after Elliot returned, by his own admission he didn't deserve minutes because he didn't do enough in training. So you're right, if these players are to make it here, they need to get minutes. But they both need to do a whole lot more than at times last season to get them. All we've seen from them up to now is they're not at the level yet. 

And chamberlain should never kick a ball for us again. He's a championship level player now. He had one thing going for him when he joined us and it was his ability to burst past people with his strength and speed. They're gone and he is as a footballer as a consequence. 

Agree with a lot of this. There is a big drop off from the 1st choice 3 and unfortunately there are question marks over the ability of those 3 to be available and to play a high tempo game for a significant proportion of the team.

Neither Thiago or Fabinho looked fit in the final. Not sure Jurgen would have played them if he trusted their understudies.

The links with Tchou and others show its not lost on the club. Think we will probably see 1 this summer and then 1 next summer.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Oh i know.

I as it happens believed we were taking an unwise risk only having 3 proper ones especially with one of those 3 being Matip (who at that time was extremely injury prone)

I know people argued that Fabinho was No.4 - and i get that, but we all saw what happened to our midfield when he had to come out of it.

For me you only had to look at the season before when Lovren was 4th choice and see how many games he got and you'd know we were short.

But even with all that said what happened was indeed a total freak and pretty much unprecedented - but having 4 proper senior centre halves would of course have been better than having 3 - but its history now, I don't see myself how it being dragged up now is useful!

As for the midfield now - i believe we should be looking to strengthen - i believe we need to bin bag Oxlade (surely we can find a buyer) and invest that money and more into the midfield. But i accept we will only buy if the player we really want is available/willing to come and indocations seem to suggest we will wait.

I've said elsewhere today i feel we'll see us play 4-2-3-1 this season which may alleviate the midfield issues and also help us utilise Carvalho and Firmino as No.10's as well as giving all our forwards roles they suit.

3 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Agree with a lot of this. There is a big drop off from the 1st choice 3 and unfortunately there are question marks over the ability of those 3 to be available and to play a high tempo game for a significant proportion of the team.

Neither Thiago or Fabinho looked fit in the final. Not sure Jurgen would have played them if he trusted their understudies.

The links with Tchou and others show its not lost on the club. Think we will probably see 1 this summer and then 1 next summer.

I honestly think the formula will be 1 in 1 out as there are enough numbers (putting aside quality some and the injury prone players). There's been quite a few little stories linking Chamberlain with a move away for 10m, so my guess is the club have told him he can go for that number and his agent is trying to drum up interest. 

4 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

What would be the alternative statement for a manager who understands the importance of morale and confidence?

Let me be clear - our squad is great. But we need a midfielder. How anybody can dispute that is beyond me. We have the best defence in the league and had the best attack in the league. Our midfield has been an issue for years.

While I'm not opposed to the notion that we should keep seeking to improve our great squad, I think the midfield "issue" is being overstated considering we have won every possible major trophy within the last 3 years. Yes, we should strive for perfection but in reality, no team is 100% perfect. If they were, they would win the quadruple every season.

People also ignore the possibility that having the midfield we have had contributed significantly to us having the best defence and best attack. The balance provided by our midfield facilitates those other areas in the team.

9 hours ago, HBenn said:

I was talking about City progressing the ball and yes, they did do that absolutely fine through our midfield. If you really think we have progressed Vs City then we will have to agree to disagree. The first half at Anfield and at the Etihad this season City could and should have been out of sight. 

As I have repeatedly said though, City aren't our only problem though. A number of teams have identified a vulnerability in our defensive midfield area, one I don't think Bellingham is designed to fix, and had a good deal of success with it. The fact that we didn't beat any of the top 4 partially attests to that.

They will target that area again this coming season, just like Chelsea did with a good deal of success in the two finals. The club will have recognised it and the fact that it is still a problem would suggest it is not an easy fix with their current players 

Maybe they will rectify it tactically on the training ground over the summer or maybe they recognise they need someone else but are not prepared to move until the price becomes more reasonable.

I really don't agree with this over-emphasis of holding Man City as some sort of gold standard. And also this thing about not beating the top 4? Well, none of them beat us either!! Winning against the top 4 doesn't guarantee you the league anyway. There are so many seasons when we beat other top 4 rivals and still didn't win the league.

Yes we should seek to improve our midfield, but let's get it clear - every team has its flaws, even Man City. And despite our supposed major issues in midfield, Liverpool have been the team which has won every single major trophy available within the past 3 years. City haven't, even with their blatant cheating and bottomless pit of cash.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

I really don't agree with this over-emphasis of holding Man City as some sort of gold standard. And also this thing about not beating the top 4? Well, none of them beat us either!! Winning against the top 4 doesn't guarantee you the league anyway. There are so many seasons when we beat other top 4 rivals and still didn't win the league.

Yes we should seek to improve our midfield, but let's get it clear - every team has its flaws, even Man City. And despite our supposed major issues in midfield, Liverpool have been the team which has won every single major trophy available within the past 3 years. City haven't, even with their blatant cheating and bottomless pit of cash.

Why wouldn't we hold City as the Gold Standard? They have won 4 out of the last 5 league titles and as good as we have been they have been slightly better.

They have improved and for us to beat them we need to improve more than them. 

Last season our defence was good, our attack was good and we had to chop and change our midfield most weeks which impacted fluency. History suggests you cannot rely on some of our best midfield  players to play for the vast majority of the season, will that likely improve as they get older. It's the obvious area of the team to improve.

We can still beat this City team as they hate us when we are able to play with tempo against them. Personally I don't think we can do that as well with the current midfield.