You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

The real Madrid trick is to get the player agreement first.

If you can get the player to commit to your club, and your club only, then your chances of striking a deal with the club increases.

Yip.

It's how we got VvD and now - reportedly - both Diaz and Nunez.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yip.

It's how we got VvD and now - reportedly - both Diaz and Nunez.

It's obviously how Mane will end up at Bayern, too.

But it's fair enough. You can't - and shouldn't be able to - force a player to go to a club that's willing to pay most. 

2 hours ago, MOGLET said:

What still baffles the feck out of me is, we paid £52M plus for Keita and only £49M for Diaz, WTF

I thought we paid significantly less than that for Diaz to be honest.

Edit: BBC saying an initial £37.5m

We will arguably need two midfielders and possibly a replacement for Salah by next summer so not picking up one of those three now could be a mistake and leave us with lots to do next summer.

If they're confident of agreeing with Salah in the coming months that obviously changes things.

15 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

A bit of a leap perhaps, but I read this as a suggestion that Jude Bellingham will be the No.1 target next summer, and that there is a decent degree of confidence that we can get him. 

Of course there’s a lot that can happen in twelve months, and there may be other players out there that I’m not thinking about before I go to sleep. 

• Upvote 1

Think it will be a big mistake to not bring in another midfielder given the expected exits this summer.

Not necessarily a first choice player but someone who can bridge the gap between the likes of Hendo and Milner to the young lads of Jones, Elliot and Carvalho..

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

A bit of a leap perhaps, but I read this as a suggestion that Jude Bellingham will be the No.1 target next summer, and that there is a decent degree of confidence that we can get him. 

Of course there’s a lot that can happen in twelve months, and there may be other players out there that I’m not thinking about before I go to sleep. 

Seems like it's a Van Dijk situation where they want Bellingham, doesn't seem likely they can get him now without massively overpaying, but think they can next summer.

Also suggests that we viewed Tchouameni in a similar bracket and would have signed a midfielder if we could have got either of them.

Big gamble though, I think we get priced out next summer when everyone is in for him and end up buying a player or two we could have got this summer with a years more experience.

• Upvote 2

I thought midfielder should have been priority 1 & 2 this summer. I’m surprised we aren’t going for one.

Although if we go back to the start of last season when Elliott & Hendo were playing ridiculously high forward, if you add a fit Elliott & Carvalho who could step in, numbers are Ok. 

If we do revert back to having a midfielder higher up the pitch, I hope we’ve worked out how to control the game better now.

There's a scenario where, in the short term, on paper at least, we are objectively weaker than we were last season and spent £100m for the privilege.

Luckily the team tends to react differently to expectation and we'll probably still be ace.

If we're waiting for Bellingham, then we must know he's set on coming here. Dortmund were never going to let him go in the same window as Haaland. We wouldn't wait a year on the off chance we might merely be in the race for him.

That's a big "if" though.

Ideally we'd add a decent midfielder this summer, but I guess at some point we have to work out what we're doing with Jones and Elliott. Then there's Carvalho to consider. Maybe we'll see 4-2-3-1 more this season.

22 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I thought midfielder should have been priority 1 & 2 this summer. I’m surprised we aren’t going for one.

Although if we go back to the start of last season when Elliott & Hendo were playing ridiculously high forward, if you add a fit Elliott & Carvalho who could step in, numbers are Ok. 

If we do revert back to having a midfielder higher up the pitch, I hope we’ve worked out how to control the game better now.

You are surprised with FSG not doing enough? Shocked I tell thee

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

What is it?

Partly depends on outgoings and it's lots of if's and buts which is why I said in the parts you didn't quote that it's only an issue on paper at the moment and we tend to out perform expectation.

If we assume that Minamino, Origi, Mane, Neco and Ox all go we'll have sold 5 players with an avergae age of 27 and replaced them with three players with an average age of 19/20.

We're losing about 7,000 minutes of football from those 5 players but that should be heavily caveated by the fact that a significant amount of those minutes will be lost through Mane and he will be replaced by a player you'd expect to get similar playing time in Nunez.

Outside of the Nunez and and Mane swap we have to replace about 3,000 minutes of football with three of the four players being attackers so it's a lot to expect Carvalho to pick up that slack on his own which means either minutes for someone like Kaide Gordon or more minutes for Diaz/Jota/Salah/Firmino and Nunez.

If Firmino can stay fit then that massively helps in attack.

Nunez is still an unknown quantity in the league so we're heavily reliant on his ability to adapt and how quickly he can start contributing, he absolutely can do that from the first minute but it might also take him some time.

Our midfield is getting older but that means the likes of Elliot and Jones are also a year more experienced which might offset that.

In a league where the margins are so small and you can only realistically lose two or three games in a season there's not a lot of room to manoeuvre.

Still think we'll finish second and narrowly miss out.

Liverpool to make Calvin Ramsay their final summer signing | Sport | …

June 14 2022, 12.01am BST

Liverpool have agreed a £4 million deal for the Aberdeen right back, Calvin Ramsay — and he is likely to be their final signing of the summer window.

The fee for the 18-year-old could increase by a further £2.5 million in add-ons which are linked to appearances and Ramsay’s involvement in team success. The Scotland Under-21 international still has to undergo a medical, which will not take place before the weekend, and a five-year contract has been prepared.

Ramsay will be Jürgen Klopp’s third signing of the summer after the capture of Darwin Núñez, the Benfica striker, for an initial £64 million which could rise to £85 million and Fabio Carvalho, the 19-year-old attacking midfielder who joined from Fulham for £5 million, plus £2.7 million in add-ons.

Liverpool will prioritise signing a midfielder in the summer of 2023, but are now happy with their squad going into the new season and do not plan to deviate from that stance even if there are outgoings before the window shuts.

The club is awaiting a third bid from Bayern Munich for Sadio Mané, while Monaco and Lyon are talking to the representatives of Takumi Minamino.

Liverpool’s midfield options for the coming season will be Fabinho, Jordan Henderson, Thiago Alcântara, Naby Keita, James Milner, Curtis Jones, Harvey Elliott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, though the 28-year-old England international will be allowed to leave Anfield.

Liverpool had shown interest in Aurelien Tchouaméni earlier this year, but were told that the France midfielder favoured a move to Real Madrid from Monaco. Klopp is an admirer of England’s Jude Bellingham, who recently told The Times he would remain at Borussia Dortmund next season.

Liverpool are keeping tabs on Bellingham but the teenager is likely to stay at Dortmund for now

REX FEATURES

Bellingham, 18, will, clearly, continue to be followed, with Liverpool confident that they have enough depth in midfield in the meantime. Their strategy is not to sign stop-gaps — rather, they are prepared to wait for the right player and disregard any criticism that comes their way.

Ramsay will join Klopp’s first-team squad for pre-season, which is split between the Far East and a training camp in Austria, and is viewed as the understudy to Trent Alexander-Arnold.

The move represents the biggest outgoing transfer in Aberdeen’s history and outstrips the £3 million fee Nottingham Forest paid for Scott McKenna in September 2020.

The Scottish club’s director of football, Steven Gunn, and chairman, Dave Cormack, successfully negotiated upwards on Liverpool’s opening offer and also secured sensible add-ons which have a good chance of being realised.

Ramsay, who was named the Scottish Football Writers’ Association Young Player of the Year, made 33 appearances in his breakthrough season, scoring once, registering nine assists and also sampling European football. He joined Aberdeen at the age of eight.

The arrival of the teenager will continue Liverpool’s policy of snapping up some of the UK’s brightest talents, with Elliott having moved from Fulham at the age of 16 in 2019 and Carvalho, another teenager, arriving from the west London club.