You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

I'm of the view that the big money we had earmarked for a midfielder will now mostly go towards Nunez, but given how pragmatic and ahead of the curve we seem to be on all things related to transfers, maybe we'll do two years' business in one window and spend big on a midfielder too if somebody we want is available?

We'll break even on Nunez with Sadio's fee and a few departures like Ox, Phillips and Minamino anyway. 

10 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Barcelona are weird.  They were so completely screwed by wages, shit transfers and then covid that they had to let Messi go, and pay Atletico to take Suarez and Griezmann. 

Just when there seems to be a bit of light at the end of the tunnel with wages as Dembele's contract is running out and they have offloaded Coutinho, they start signing, or trying to sign, both loads of crap players, or old players on massive wages - Aubameyang, Christensen, Lewandowski - and are so fucked on wages again that they can't sign them all.

They could have built around the quality youngsters coming through (Pedri, Gavi, Fati), along with the likes of de Jong and Ter Stegen and just add a couple of shrewd signings.  Instead they seem intent on screwing themselves over again.

Good.

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

I'm of the view that the big money we had earmarked for a midfielder will now mostly go towards Nunez, but given how pragmatic and ahead of the curve we seem to be on all things related to transfers, maybe we'll do two years' business in one window and spend big on a midfielder too if somebody we want is available?

We'll break even on Nunez with Sadio's fee and a few departures like Ox, Phillips and Minamino anyway. 

For the start of last season we had VDijk, Matip, Gomez, Rhys Williams and N Philips, the two latter had proved they could do a job for us. We still spended on Konate. Probably because he's a very special talent and was available. We'll do that again. If someone we really want can be added to our squad we'll do it. It won't matter if it's not what we need short term.

I think we desperately need a midfielder or two. In football years thiago, Henderson and milner are at least free bus pass age. Kieta is wank, Ox should just leave without a word. Curtis has his level bumped for being local, Elliot I've no idea his age wowed me will his talent progress with it. Its a midfield that pushed us towards a quadruple but I think its peaked. We should build for the long term future I'm just unsure if the youth we have now is it. Maybe they are.

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

United will buy De Jong in the end for about 80m, plus his insane Barca wages, and will still freely criticize us for overpaying for Darwin.

They spent a world record (at the time) on a player who has gone on to contribute fuck all in 6 seasons and a defender world record on a human cinder block.

They can all get to fuck.

Still, I’d like to see us hijack their De Jong deal because it’d be funny but mainly because he’s a good player. I read Barca have rejected €60m + €20m earlier. I’d have thought Barca would want at least >€100m upfront. 

A player of his calibre, £51m + £17m looks a reasonable bit of business.

If only he can replace Right Said McFred…

6 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

De Jong has struggled at Barcelona.

I think he'll struggle in England too.

Depends if they get a defensive midfielder to play alongside him or not, he did well at Ajax with Lasse Schone in midfield, he didn't have that at Barca and doesn't currently have that at UTD.

Maybe Utd will go to Ajax for someone like Edson Alvarez, or will they try McTominay and Fred in that role.

41 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

They spent a world record (at the time) on a player who has gone on to contribute fuck all in 6 seasons and a defender world record on a human cinder block.

They can all get to fuck.

Still, I’d like to see us hijack their De Jong deal because it’d be funny but mainly because he’s a good player. I read Barca have rejected €60m + €20m earlier. I’d have thought Barca would want at least >€100m upfront. 

A player of his calibre, £51m + £17m looks a reasonable bit of business.

If only he can replace Right Said McFred…

>€100m because it's the mancs and they know they're desperate? Don't think he's worth anywhere near that myself. Massive upgrade on McTominay or Pogba but that would be a large overpayment imo.

If he's available for like £40m and £150k a week then he'd be worth a punt.

2 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Seems like a crazy choice for a backup forward for Spurs. He's shit.

They are apparently selling Bergwijn. 

Have to admit, I thought Kulusevski looked a decent player last season. 

Assume with CL as well, Spurs will have to

rotate and he’ll get plenty of games.