You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

9 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Kloppo would absolutely love a prime Dirk Kuyt. Not sure he’d get much more out of him than Rafa managed or where he’d play him but I bet he’d be his best boy.

I don't disagree with that, Klopp would love Kuyt.

Playing wide, Kuyt isn't the type of player we go for these days and he was never clinical enough as a centre forward.

The point I'm bumbling making is the way we played has moved on and, as much as we liked Kuyt and he was a good player, we look for players a higher calibre these days. 

We paid close to that for Alisson and Van Dijk. If Klopp and the recruitment team think he's that good (and we don't know if they do yet) then I could see us going close to that amount if not matching it. Some would be incentive based I imagine.

We'd have to sell Sadio and some fringe players to fund it, but we made close to £100m or something from the CL this season and we've not spent loads in recent seasons. In theory we could afford Nunez and a really good midfielder and that's probably all we need.

8 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

That Rob Gutmamm on the Anfield Wrap said Liverpool can compete with anyone in the world for players. 

Only if:

They don't cost a shitload of money

Someone is sold to fund a large transfer fee

And they don't ask for ridiculous wages.

This isn't having a go at the club, just the way some deluded fuckers think. Some Facebook pages I've seen suggesting completely unrealistic transfers and thinking we will get 120m for Salah in the last year of his contract. 

Yeah we clearly can't but it's more about wages than anything else. There are very few players who are beyond our reach because of fee. We might choose not to pay it but we could if we really wanted to. We can't do anything about the wages though and nor should we.

We can't get Salah to sign because we have a wage structure we don't want to shatter. So how the fuck are we expecting to compete for Haaland or Mbappe? Suggesting we can is crazy talk.

And I'm fine with it, because you can't expect us to stay within the rules while paying the kind of money the oil cheats are paying. 

• Upvote 2

Jesus was a really good striker. Then Guardiola decided to be a smart arse and play him wide, while playing the wide players as a striker.

If he goes to Chelsea he'll be good. If he goes to Arsenal he's clearly just after a pay rise and he'll be the most Arsenal player in that squad. Great on his day but too often he'll be a shrinking violet when the going gets tough.

We've only paid that sort of money for what the club considers a sure thing and they've been mid 20's with a body of work behind them.

Nunez is incredibly raw and isn't a natural fit for our current set up so it would be a massive risk, I don't think our recruitment team takes those types of risks and are far more comfortable with players at half that amount.

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

We've only paid that sort of money for what the club considers a sure thing and they've been mid 20's with a body of work behind them.

Nunez is incredibly raw and isn't a natural fit for our current set up so it would be a massive risk, I don't think our recruitment team takes those types of risks and are far more comfortable with players at half that amount.

Agreed. We usually sign players (forwards especially) between 22-25 in the £40m price bracket.

I'm just saying, if they really think Nunez is the player to take us up another level they would push the boat out to get him as they did with Virg and Alisson.

Also, Alisson didn't have THAT much experience (for his age) when we signed him as he was a late developer.

He (Nunez) looked really quick, hard working & lethal when I saw him. In what way does he not fit our style of play?

It seems to me people are just saying that because he's bigger than the other players who have played Klopp's the front three.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mook said:

He (Nunez) looked really quick, hard working & lethal when I saw him. In what way does he not fit our style of play?

It seems to me people are just saying that because he's bigger than the other players who have played in the front three.

He's not a false 9 who drops deep to link the play. I think that's what people mean by it.

But Jota isn't either and he spent a fair bit of time at centre forward the last couple of years. So it wouldn't take a massive shift in style if Nunez came in, it would just be a bit of tweaking.

2 minutes ago, dave u said:

Agreed. We usually sign players (forwards especially) between 22-25 in the £40m price bracket.

I'm just saying, if they really think Nunez is the player to take us up another level they would push the boat out to get him as they did with Virg and Alisson.

Also, Alisson didn't have THAT much experience (for his age) when we signed him as he was a late developer.

He'd only played about 100 games iirc and while he had 2 years at Roma, he was on the bench for one of them

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He'd only played about 100 games iirc and while he had 2 years at Roma, he was on the bench for one of them

Yeah he didn't have a glittering CV and I remember being far from convinced about him based purely on how long it took him to 'make it' and also because we put about 15 goals past him (while still only just squeaking through).

Looking back now, if Alisson had been playing for us and not Roma in that tie, we'd have beaten them by a landslide.

Just now, dave u said:

Yeah he didn't have a glittering CV and I remember being far from convinced about him based purely on how long it took him to 'make it' and also because we put about 15 goals past him (while still only just squeaking through).

Looking back now, if Alisson had been playing for us and not Roma in that tie, we'd have beaten them by a landslide.

And we'd have likely won in Kyiv. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Mook said:

It seems to me people are just saying that because he's bigger than the other players who have played in the front three.

We tend to use the central striker to create space for the wide forwards rather than as the focus of the attack and then they get involved in the second phase of the attack, Nunez's build up play hasn't been great at Benfica and he's more of a 'traditional' number 9 so some tweaks will be needed to how the front three operate.

It's not a massive issue but something to consider when we're, supposedly, looking at making a player our biggest signing.

It'd be interesting to see who out of him and Salah has to compromise but either way having Robertson and Trent firing balls in won't hurt.

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Quality of the league (relative to Portugal) and goalkeeping records in that league will play a part though.

He also got a glowing reference from Doni didn't he.

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It'd be interesting to see how he and Salah and who has to compromise.

Be boss if Kloppo sticks Salah on the left wing and orders him to stay wide and put crosses in for Nunez unless he signs a new deal.

"Oh you don't wanna sign? Enjoy being Dwight McNeil"

• Upvote 7

8 minutes ago, dave u said:

Be boss if Kloppo sticks Salah on the left wing and orders him to stay wide and put crosses in for Nunez unless he signs a new deal.

"Oh you don't wanna sign? Enjoy being Dwight McNeil"

I wonder if we'd line up as a three but in reality it'll be a 2 of Nunez and Salah playing off each other with Diaz being used to stretch the play and exploit the space that's left.

If Nunez likes to make the diagonal runs left to right then it opens up space for Salah's preferred move of starting on the right but moving to the left across the edge of the box.

(Assuming we don't finally see a push to play 4231 that Klopp's flirted with)

We won't pay £85 million for him. More likely that we sell Sadio for £35 million. Add another £30 million for Nunez. And maybe throw them £10 million in add on's.

That would be great business, £30 million for him would be a no brainer if we are losing Mane. I think we've shown our interest to turn his head, stop him joining anyone else and say he only wants to join us. Now we will negotiate them down with the player only wanting to come to Liverpool.

1 hour ago, Mil-ing Around said:

We won't pay £85 million for him. More likely that we sell Sadio for £35 million. Add another £30 million for Nunez. And maybe throw them £10 million in add on's.

That would be great business, £30 million for him would be a no brainer if we are losing Mane. I think we've shown our interest to turn his head, stop him joining anyone else and say he only wants to join us. Now we will negotiate them down with the player only wanting to come to Liverpool.

That's not paying £30 million. That's paying £65m +. While losing a guaranteed 20+ goals man for £35m.

2 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

Monaco have got money to burn I recon he could go there or to Wolves because he used to link up well with Hwang

Wouldn't underestimate the Jesse Marsch Red Bull link.

Leeds have already signed Brenden Aaronson from RB Salzburg, are about to sign Rasmus Kristensen from RB Salzburg as well so Minamino would make a hatrick. 

We've a lot of good players like Ox, Nat Phillips, Neco Williams and Taki Minamino and others who we'll likely be selling this summer. They'll all command decent fees of between £10m-£15m.  

Don't really care what we pay or don't pay for Nunez, unless it's either/or with a midfielder, as we badly need one too. 

At the end of the day, it's not my money. 

• Upvote 1