You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

15 minutes ago, dave u said:

In terms of midfield, I'm all in on Conor Gallagher. Absolutely perfect for our style and has goals in him too.

I'd like to see him playing as a midfielder first.

He's essentially a second striker (in role rather than position) who ghosts into the area to pick up second balls, he's not been given much responsibility as a passer in the palace team.

Grace Roberts did an article on Gallagher and his inconsistent numbers and it's really down to context (the same can be applied to Nunez and a few other players) his passing numbers are pretty poor, but that could be by design (Palace's tactics) rather than ability and it's being able to sort through the noise to find out where the truth is.

https://onfootball.substack.com/p/conor-gallagher-and-context-around?s=r

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dave u said:

In terms of midfield, I'm all in on Conor Gallagher. Absolutely perfect for our style and has goals in him too.

Only way Chelsea sell to us is if we have somebody they want. They’re a couple of centre backs down so I reckon they’d definitely be interested in Gomez.

4 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Only way Chelsea sell to us is if we have somebody they want. They’re a couple of centre backs down so I reckon they’d definitely be interested in Gomez.

I don't want Gomez to go but, if It ends up that he wants to, then I'd rather use him to bring in someone like Gallagher than sell hm for relative peanuts to the likes of Villa. 

On 01/06/2022 at 11:16, El Rojo said:

Nunez video, please. 3-5 minutes. Goals and assists. Generic effects at start for first 30 seconds. Europop soundtrack preferable but not essential.

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

I'd like to see him playing as a midfielder first.

He's essentially a second striker (in role rather than position) who ghosts into the area to pick up second balls, he's not been given much responsibility as a passer in the palace team.

Grace Roberts did an article on Gallagher and his inconsistent numbers and it's really down to context (the same can be applied to Nunez and a few other players) his passing numbers are pretty poor, but that could be by design (Palace's tactics) rather than ability and it's being able to sort through the noise to find out where the truth is.

https://onfootball.substack.com/p/conor-gallagher-and-context-around?s=r

The graph I saw and posted above was a bit of a surprise. He doesn’t really do that much stats wise, unlike Thiago who’s at the other extreme end who seems to do just about everything. Conor seems a very busy player tho when you watch him. Odd.

Raphinha into Mo's slot, Mo converted to CF to replace Sadio and Bob's your uncle.

Carvalho takes Divock's place.

Ox replaced by Touchameni type, such a shame Bissouma is so touchy feely.

23 hours ago, stringvest said:

An electrician who had been trained over many years to connect a switch would be expected to do it competently.  

A footballer - trained for years to play football - should be expected to hit the top corner, or even the goal, even accounting for variations in conditions, height of the ball, pressure from opposing players etc etc.  Most of them can't be relied on to hit the target.  Some of them can be relied on to miss.  Now if we adopt the process we have with the electrician; i.e. refuse to pay him if he fucks up, then I guarantee we'd see a widespread increase in technique.

Our electrician used to be a Crystal Palace player. He admits he wasn't a very good striker, but he has been a brilliant electrician. 

• Upvote 1

Sadio Mane

Bayern Munich reportedly want to sign Sadio Mane this summer

The big worry for Liverpool fans. The Senegal international, 30, reportedly wants to leave Anfield this summer and Bayern Munich are expected to make a £25million bid in the coming days. The Reds are thought to asking for at least £42.5m for Mane. That may seem cheap, but he's got just a year remaining on his existing deal.

Mane has been crucial to Liverpool's success in recent years - scoring 120 goals since joining the club in June 2016 - and they may decide to keep hold of him if a lucrative offer doesn't come there way. There's every chance he's going nowhere this summer.

James Milner

James Milner's existing deal expires later this month

The 36-year-old's existing deal will expire at the end of this month and, having played 39 games in all competitions this term, it's clear he's still fit enough to cut it in the Premier League. Aston Villa have been identified as potential suitors, according to Birmingham Live.

Yet Milner is still more likely to sign a new deal at Liverpool than leave. Klopp loves the Englishman and fans shouldn't be alarmed. Due to his age, Milner will only sign one-year contracts from now on until he retires. He'll probably be negotiating another extension with the Reds in 12 months' time (and we can have this conversation all over again).

Divock Origi

Divock Origi has already said goodbye to his Liverpool team-mates

The Belgian, 27, is one player who definitely won't be at Liverpool next season. Origi's contract expires next month and is expected to join AC Milan on a free transfer. The Reds even gave him a goodbye present at their final home game of the season against Wolves.

"For me, he [Origi] will always be a Liverpool legend and it has been a joy to work with him," said Klopp in May. "He's one of the most important players I ever had. Wherever he will go he will be successful, 100 per cent. It will be a hard moment when he leaves."

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has been put up for sale by Liverpool

Whether it's this summer or next, Oxlade-Chamberlain is on his way out of Anfield. The 28-year-old has just one year remaining on his existing deal and, as exclusively revealed by Mirror Football, been put up for sale - with West Ham and Villa interested.

Oxlade-Chamberlain is yet to regain his form after suffering a serious knee injury against Roma in April 2018. He's started just 28 Premier League games during the last four seasons. The former Arsenal man desperately needs to rejuvenate his stuttering career.

Takumi Minamino

Takumi Minamino is still waiting for his opportunity at Anfield

The Japan international's Liverpool career has never really got off the ground since joining the club from Red Bull Salzburg in January 2020, scoring just 14 goals in 55 appearances. He even spent time on loan at Southampton during the 2020-21 campaign.

Yet all isn't lost for Minamino. He still has two years remaining on his contract and Klopp insists he's part of his plans. "Takumi is a long-term project, always was," he said in February. It all depends on whether Minamino still has faith in Liverpool's plan for him.

Nat Phillips

Nat Phillips inspired Bournemouth to promotion this season

The 25-year-old was superb for Liverpool during the 2020-21 campaign, solving Klopp's defensive crisis following injuries to Virgil van Dijk, Joel Matip and Joe Gomez. Without Phillips' efforts, there's no chance the Reds would've finished third in the table.

Yet now all three defenders are fit again - not to mention the arrival of Ibrahima Konate - Klopp has no space for Phillips in his brilliant team. He spent the second half of this season on loan to Bournemouth - helping them win promotion to the Premier League - and several clubs will be after his signature. Expect him to leave Anfield this summer.

Other potential departures

Neco Williams will be eyeing-up a Premier League loan move after impressing at Fulham

Rhys Williams: The 21-year-old defender also played a crucial role in helping Liverpool finish third in the Premier League in 2020-21. He struggled during a loan spell at Swansea this season and, with four years left on his existing deal, is expected to go out on loan again.

Sepp van den Berg: The Dutch youth international, 20, has been a regular for Preston during his 18-month loan spell - playing 64 games in all competitions - but will struggle to get in Liverpool's team next term. Another loan spell, perhaps at Preston again, is likely.

Neco Williams: The 18-cap Wales international, 21, spent the second half of the season on loan at Fulham - helping them win the Championship. Despite this, he will struggle for minutes at Liverpool next term and is likely to join a Premier League club on loan.

Sheyi Ojo: He's still there? The 24-year-old hasn't played a game for Liverpool since the 2016-17 campaign, spending time on loan at Fulham, Reims, Rangers, Cardiff and Millwall since. He's still got another year left on his contract, likely to be spent away from Anfield.

Ben Davies: This man hasn't played a single minute for Liverpool since arriving in January 2020 and that's unlikely to change. The 26-year-old didn't pull up any trees on loan at Sheffield United this season and another loan is likely. His contract expires in June 2025.

Ben Woodburn: The youngster was tipped to be the next big thing at Anfield but his career is yet to burst into life. The 22-year-old spent last season on loan at Scottish Premiership outfit Hearts and is out of contract later this month. A free transfer is expected.

Loris Karius: The forgotten man will finally leave Liverpool this summer when his contract expires - four years after making two mistakes in their 3-1 Champions League final defeat to Real in Kyiv. Let's hope the 28-year-old can rebuild his reputation elsewhere.

2 hours ago, aws said:

I don't want Gomez to go but, if It ends up that he wants to, then I'd rather use him to bring in someone like Gallagher than sell hm for relative peanuts to the likes of Villa. 

I'm told Joe Gomez wants to stay and fight for his place. He wants to sign a new deal. Which I'm all in favour of. Would hate to lose him.

• Upvote 13

1 hour ago, Chairman Meow said:

Usher in liking player who wears a hair band shocker. 

It's just science. You've got to have a bit extra to be able to rock that look. If you're shit then you'll stand out a mile. 

Gallagher's role at Palace isn't what he'd play here, but on the eye test he looks like he could absolutely play in Hendo's spot.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dave u said:

Gallagher's role at Palace isn't what he'd play here, but on the eye test he looks like he could absolutely play in Hendo's spot.

I don’t think we’ll move for Gallagher as he’d potentially block Elliott and Carvalho’s minutes. 

41 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t think we’ll move for Gallagher as he’d potentially block Elliott and Carvalho’s minutes. 

David Lynch reported that Carvalho is being readied to replace the minutes of the forwards like Origi and Minamino, rather than a midfielder.

46 minutes ago, John102 said:

David Lynch reported that Carvalho is being readied to replace the minutes of the forwards like Origi and Minamino, rather than a midfielder.

Not sure what Mulholland Drive has to do with this. 

I'm all for seeing Naomi Watts lezzing off with somebody again though.

• Upvote 2