You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

4 hours ago, gkmacca said:

No.  I said, they've shown they DO have good technique. What you mean, presumably, is what I mean - they have the wrong attitude, the wrong discipline, the wrong degree of application of their technique. It's not like those players who clearly can't hit a ball well. They can. If, say, you have the technique to curl a ball into the top right hand corner from distance, then you HAVE that technique. If you have that technique and most of the time you blast the ball over, that isn't lack of technique as such, that's a failure to use your technique. They just fail to do what they can do often enough. And that requires more practice and more work on situations.

Take that example to its extremes.  Everyone of us (ok most of us) have in the past scored an absolute blinder, perhaps even two or three.   Maybe the perfect overhead kick, or the volley into the top corner with the ball coming to you over your shoulder etc etc.  Most of us couldn't do it again 99 times out of 100.  that doesn't mean we have the technique, we just got lucky.  Excepting those rare beings with innate ability and touch, technique is developed with practice so it becomes the norm rather than the rare exception.  Someone like Thiago has technique.  You can see it not only in how he strikes the ball, but where it goes.  Keita, Fabinho, Henderson?  not really.  Keita will have a go more often than not, because he has a misguided belief in his ability to hit the target.  Fabinho not so much - it's rare he will take a shot on - he'll look for the pass.  It's why Henderson will more often than not hit the percentage curving ball to the far end of the penalty area with his instep on a ball coming onto him.  He doesn't trust his shooting technique so he does something that's easy to do.  So I don't quite agree with your definition of having technique, for me it's only those players that can demonstrate that it's the norm for them.

• Upvote 3

The players have every day to practise shooting as well as all the finer tactical points. If you’re a professional footballer, you should be able to at least make the keeper work when presented with a chance as reasonable as that Keita had the other night. Any professional footballer should.

They are paid mega bucks to be footballers, shooting should be a basic skill they get right most, if not every, time, it’s like saying an electrician might not connect a switch up right every time.

2 hours ago, stringvest said:

Take that example to its extremes.  Everyone of us (ok most of us) have in the past scored an absolute blinder, perhaps even two or three.   Maybe the perfect overhead kick, or the volley into the top corner with the ball coming to you over your shoulder etc etc.  Most of us couldn't do it again 99 times out of 100.  that doesn't mean we have the technique, we just got lucky.  Excepting those rare beings with innate ability and touch, technique is developed with practice so it becomes the norm rather than the rare exception.  Someone like Thiago has technique.  You can see it not only in how he strikes the ball, but where it goes.  Keita, Fabinho, Henderson?  not really.  Keita will have a go more often than not, because he has a misguided belief in his ability to hit the target.  Fabinho not so much - it's rare he will take a shot on - he'll look for the pass.  It's why Henderson will more often than not hit the percentage curving ball to the far end of the penalty area with his instep on a ball coming onto him.  He doesn't trust his shooting technique so he does something that's easy to do.  So I don't quite agree with your definition of having technique, for me it's only those players that can demonstrate that it's the norm for them.

That's not taking the example to the extreme, it's conflating all degrees of poorly exploited technique with flukes. If you genuinely think top flight professional footballers, who are internationals, and who train every day with the most exacting coaches, fluke a shot every once in a blue moon like blokes in pub teams, but don't have technique, then that's a mighty deep rabbit hole you've slipped down. And there's a scandal at the club that no doubt those who have a subscription at the Athletic will soon be reading. So let's agree to differ beforre we shock each other any further.

1 hour ago, coachpotato said:

The players have every day to practise shooting as well as all the finer tactical points. If you’re a professional footballer, you should be able to at least make the keeper work when presented with a chance as reasonable as that Keita had the other night. Any professional footballer should.

They are paid mega bucks to be footballers, shooting should be a basic skill they get right most, if not every, time, it’s like saying an electrician might not connect a switch up right every time.

Quite.

2 hours ago, coachpotato said:

an electrician might not connect a switch up right every time.

He'll be disappointed when he looks back at that. 

He could do one of those footballer style Instagram posts afterwards: Tried my best today but didn't work out and I electrocuted four members of a family but these things happen even though we're all hurting tonight! Onwards and upwards and thanks for your support! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

He'll be disappointed when he looks back at that. 

He could do one of those footballer style Instagram posts afterwards: Tried my best today but didn't work out and I electrocuted four members of a family but these things happen even though we're all hurting tonight! Onwards and upwards and thanks for your support! 

Not the best analogy, but you get the drift.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Who?

Liverpool are tracking Rennes' French forward Martin Terrier, 25, as a replacement for Sadio Mane, should the Senegal international, 30, depart Anfield. (Mirror)

Don’t tell Pureblood. 

He was one of the players who allegedly collapsed from the “clot shot.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/lyon-star-martin-terrier-stretchered-21365074

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Who?

Liverpool are tracking Rennes' French forward Martin Terrier, 25, as a replacement for Sadio Mane, should the Senegal international, 30, depart Anfield. (Mirror)

7 minutes ago, aRdja said:

@3 Stacks @Arnaud should I get excited?

He plays left wing/forward. Broke out this season, scored 20 goals in the league. 

But the thing with him is that it's his first great season and he way outperformed his xG.

He's not the most talented but he works hard and he's persistent. A nice player but maybe not on our level. Would have to confirm himself with another really good season.