You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Presumably you'd have to turn Mount into a central midfielder.

He's a pretty good player, but not sure his passing is good enough for midfield or his finishing to play up front.  Whether he could go up a level in the next few years is what you'd hope.

35 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Presumably you'd have to turn Mount into a central midfielder.

He's a pretty good player, but not sure his passing is good enough for midfield or his finishing to play up front.  Whether he could go up a level in the next few years is what you'd hope.

Gives us a genuine option to go 4-2-3-1 as he’s a natural number 10.

21 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah but we don't play with a number 10.  That's basically my point!

I get that but Mount would give us flexibility to play that formation. We’ve experimented with the formation before with mixed results in 18/19, but maybe it’s worth another shot. 

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

I get that but Mount would give us flexibility to play that formation. We’ve experimented with the formation before with mixed results in 18/19, but maybe it’s worth another shot. 

Do you reckon Mason Mount is good enough that you would change the formation?

• Upvote 1

Anyone think we'd be in for Pulisic? I haven't watched them in ages other than the loss to Everton a few days ago which was just on in the background. I'd imagine from a marketing perspective he'd be right up FSG's alley in terms of the American market but with how well Diaz has fit in we certainly don't need him.

I'd take Mount in over Ox but it's a situation where his best position is one we don't currently employ.

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Do you reckon Mason Mount is good enough that you would change the formation?

Horses for courses. I reckon he could play the Hendo role as an overlapping CM, but if we decide to change our setup for whatever reason, then he’d provide that flexibility. 

1 hour ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Anyone think we'd be in for Pulisic? I haven't watched them in ages other than the loss to Everton a few days ago which was just on in the background. I'd imagine from a marketing perspective he'd be right up FSG's alley in terms of the American market but with how well Diaz has fit in we certainly don't need him.

I'd take Mount in over Ox but it's a situation where his best position is one we don't currently employ.

We won't be buying any Chelsea players and Pulisic seems to be injured a lot anyway.

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Diaz, Mane, Salah, Jota, Firmino, Carvalho, Minamino(?), Gordon.

Don't think we sign any forwards that require significant investment with those as our options.

We should never stand still.  Firmino, Minamino, Origi out with Diaby or someone else in.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Diaz, Mane, Salah, Jota, Firmino, Carvalho, Minamino(?), Gordon.

Don't think we sign any forwards that require significant investment with those as our options.

My main concern is the list is very left/centre based, and with Mo's contract up in the air.

4 minutes ago, sir roger said:

My main concern is the list is very left/centre based, and with Mo's contract up in the air.

It is, but do you think we'll commit significant resources to the position without one of the main 5 leaving?

Effectively we have 

Left - Mane, Diaz, Jota, Carvalho

Centre - Firminio, Jota, Mane, Carvalho, Salah

Right - Salah, Mane, Diaz, Gordon.

I'd prefer a left footed right sided player to add to that list but it's not really a massive priority.

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

We've signed two players to strengthen the position in a spell of 6 months.

and ones a starter the other a kid. Three of the current crop hitting 30 and out of contract in a year.  Replace whilst you're on top don't repeat our past mistakes.

1 minute ago, J-V said:

and ones a starter the other a kid. Three of the current crop hitting 30 and out of contract in a year.  Replace whilst you're on top don't repeat our past mistakes.

At least two of the three have/will be offered new deals. I think the club will try and tie down Mane and Salah, but will keep Firmino next season to see how it goes and either offer him a contract late on or be happy to let him walk on a free.

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

At least two of the three have/will be offered new deals. I think the club will try and tie down Mane and Salah, but will keep Firmino next season to see how it goes and either offer him a contract late on or be happy to let him walk on a free.

Hence why I said Firmino should be sold.

He's already on near £10m a year nowhere near a starter he won't take less wages (I mean why would you) it would be bonkers to offer him a new deal.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1