You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

1 hour ago, Harry Squatter said:

We are interested in Aberdeen's 18 year old right back Calvin Ramsey as cover for Trent. Supposedly very highly rated with a number of clubs interested. 

Aberdeen are my side up the road, so I watch Aberdeen on the box as often as I can. The lad has potential.

He has similar traits to Trent and both had a similar pathway through their young careers. Both started as central midfielders in their respective youth sides before being moved to play at right-back.

Like Trent, Ramsay is most comfortable going forward. He is a good passer of the ball and has good delivery from wide areas. He is also pretty good with his set-piece delivery.

Again, like Trent, the defensive side of his game is not the strongest, it's not bad, but there's certainly scope for improvement. Like a lot of young defenders, he can suffer from a lack of concentration and discipline, but those will develop in time and being surrounded by better players & coaching staff.

Similar pace to Trent, though Ramsay is a little more physically developed than Trent was at the same age, so Calvin could get a touch quicker than he currently is.

Ramsay has had a decent campaign for a struggling Aberdeen side this season, though did miss a chunk of games with a hamstring injury.

Stats from Transfermarkt

image.png.8ac82c5b4509bdfac0b68ba7e8d650c2.png

Transfermarkt profile

image.png.3a8103064f907bca8045fd7d8b86fecb.png

Aberdeen would want much more than Transfermarkt's market value, likely demanding up to around £5 million all told for the lad (initial fee + add ons).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

1 hour ago, Dynamite said:

Aberdeen are my side up the road, so I watch Aberdeen on the box as often as I can. The lad has potential.

He has similar traits to Trent and both had a similar pathway through their young careers. Both started as central midfielders in their respective youth sides before being moved to play at right-back.

Like Trent, Ramsay is most comfortable going forward. He is a good passer of the ball and has good delivery from wide areas. He is also pretty good with his set-piece delivery.

Again, like Trent, the defensive side of his game is not the strongest, it's not bad, but there's certainly scope for improvement. Like a lot of young defenders, he can suffer from a lack of concentration and discipline, but those will develop in time and being surrounded by better players & coaching staff.

Similar pace to Trent, though Ramsay is a little more physically developed than Trent was at the same age, so Calvin could get a touch quicker than he currently is.

Ramsay has had a decent campaign for a struggling Aberdeen side this season, though did miss a chunk of games with a hamstring injury.

Stats from Transfermarkt

image.png.8ac82c5b4509bdfac0b68ba7e8d650c2.png

Transfermarkt profile

image.png.3a8103064f907bca8045fd7d8b86fecb.png

Aberdeen would want much more than Transfermarkt's market value, likely demanding up to around £5 million all told for the lad (initial fee + add ons).

Is he an improvement on Neco Williams? If not then really, what's the point?

1 hour ago, Pete said:

So half a Haaland then? 

That would just about cover the signing fee his leach of a agent and old man want paid to them. Before the 400k+  a week wages,70ml fee. Oh and the fact 18 months into any deal they'd be talking of a new deal or he will move to Real

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Is he an improvement on Neco Williams? If not then really, what's the point?

If Neco moves on in the summer, as appears likely, then Ramsay would tick the boxes for a young understudy to Trent.

I like Ramsay and do think he has the potential to be a good right-back in the future, but a move for him this summer might be a little too soon. Ideally, he'd have another season of regular first-team football with Aberdeen before moving to a better club.

We also already have a couple of up and coming right-backs in the 23s and 18s in Conor Bradley and Isaac Mabaya, so I'm not entirely sure about the links to Ramsay, and going off some of the online articles that have sprung up, the source article appears to be from that shit rag.

Much will depend on what Jurgen wants from a potential backup to Trent. Will he want a more experienced Tsimikas type deputy perhaps? This option would make more sense to me, personally.

21 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Darwin Nunez, we arent signing him unless one of Sadio or Mo leaves, are we? If Mo gets his bumper contract, I can see the club sacrificing Sadio with a year left on his contract.

If the club have seen Sadio play then he's getting sacrificed for no man.

• Upvote 2

Based on one video I think Ramsay looks class. Not sure he'd physically manage in the PL yet. Swapping him with Neco could make sense if we think he's potentially world class and Neco isn't. Given he's 2 1/2 years younger that isn't an unreasonable possibility.

Don't forget Sepp also returning in the summer. He may be more of an option at centre back long term.

5 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Last thing we need to do. 

You’d struggle to find a young right sided forward/winger in the world as good. Could also fill in at CM, LW and LB too if need be. He’s also PL proven, so we know he can handle the demands of the league in terms of speed and physicality.

On 17/04/2022 at 22:50, Allan said:

If Neco moves on in the summer, as appears likely, then Ramsay would tick the boxes for a young understudy to Trent.

I like Ramsay and do think he has the potential to be a good right-back in the future, but a move for him this summer might be a little too soon. Ideally, he'd have another season of regular first-team football with Aberdeen before moving to a better club.

We also already have a couple of up and coming right-backs in the 23s and 18s in Conor Bradley and Isaac Mabaya, so I'm not entirely sure about the links to Ramsay, and going off some of the online articles that have sprung up, the source article appears to be from that shit rag.

Much will depend on what Jurgen wants from a potential backup to Trent. Will he want a more experienced Tsimikas type deputy perhaps? This option would make more sense to me, personally.

This is pretty where I'm at with it Ramsey needs at least another 2 to 3 years of first team football for development, before potentially being eased into our set-up.

Physically the lad will probably have enough to cope with the Premier league (though can't remember him being particularly quick). I suppose the thing that perhaps marks him over Bradley (outwith the first team minutes) is his crossing ability which for a young lad is pretty good.

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

You’d struggle to find a young right sided forward/winger in the world as good. Could also fill in at CM, LW and LB too if need be. He’s also PL proven, so we know he can handle the demands of the league in terms of speed and physicality.

We don’t need a right sided winger. If we did, it shouldn’t be somebody with the same output as Denis from Watford. Anyway, it’s another one in the ‘not happening’ folder. 

I've spoken to some Aberdeen lads about Ramsey & the consensus is that he's good going forward, not great at defending and absolutely nowhere near Liverpool level atm.

I've not seen him play at all so you can take that or leave it. None of them will know as much about Football as Klopp or our scouts.

4 hours ago, aRdja said:

Bukayo Saka is quality. Took the piss out of Alonso from start to finish. His versatility would be a bonus as well. Get it done Wardy. 

If they fail to qualify for the CL, doesn’t he have release clause of <£45m?

If we can get him for that price, I think he’d be a good signing. I wouldn’t advocate spending significantly more.

Given his figures this year, I think I’d prefer Nkunku from Leipzig. No idea what he’ll cost though or if we’ll even be looking at an attacker. 

If Origi, Minamino & Firmino or Mane leave, you’d expect us to go back into the market but no idea if we’d be looking to spend the money Saka or Nkunku would cost. 

Conor Bradley is a fantastic prospect, still only 18, he’s been playing for the u23s for ages and is already a full international. I can’t imagine that we’d spend on another young right back when we have someone with his potential already at the club. I reckon we’ll let Neco go this summer and Conor will be groomed as Trent’s understudy.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Moctezuma said:

This is pretty where I'm at with it Ramsey needs at least another 2 to 3 years of first team football for development, before potentially being eased into our set-up.

Physically the lad will probably have enough to cope with the Premier league (though can't remember him being particularly quick). I suppose the thing that perhaps marks him over Bradley (outwith the first team minutes) is his crossing ability which for a young lad is pretty good.

Mentioned in a post prior to this - Ramsay has similar pace to Trent. Neither are what you'd qualify as quick, but they're quick enough. I also think that with better coaching/sports science, Ramsay could add just a touch more pace.

3 hours ago, Mook said:

I've spoken to some Aberdeen lads about Ramsey & the consensus is that he's good going forward, not great at defending and absolutely nowhere near Liverpool level atm.

I've not seen him play at all so you can take that or leave it. None of them will know as much about Football as Klopp or our scouts.

It's pretty much where Ramsay is at. He has made visible progression for The Dons since he first broke into the first-team squad. His defending is OK, there is certainly room for improvement - as with almost all young defenders, especially those at fullback.

There are not many 18-year-old defenders that are Liverpool level, in fairness...

53 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Conor Bradley is a fantastic prospect, still only 18, he’s been playing for the u23s for ages and is already a full international. I can’t imagine that we’d spend on another young right back when we have someone with his potential already at the club. I reckon we’ll let Neco go this summer and Conor will be groomed as Trent’s understudy.

Conor has certainly come a long way in the time he's been with the club and he has been rewarded with the international call-ups and caps. More of a Robbo type fullback than a Trent type, but he's a promising young player that certainly has the potential to play at a good level. I'm a fan.

For a fee of ~£5 million, we'd be getting a player with high potential and one who already has a decent experience of senior football, however, I just don't know that Ramsay is quite ready for such a jump in quality just yet. In an ideal scenario, we'd be bringing the lad in and sending him straight back to Aberdeen on a season-long loan, but that would still leave us looking for a suitable deputy to Trent.