You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

6 minutes ago, Em City said:

Probably not but I think he's pure class and would help bridge that slight technical gap between us and City. He'll probably go to somewhere else in Europe.

Yeah, I agree with the thinking, but I think it's really hard to find players with that technical class that can also play with our kind of physicality and intense style. Dybala seems to have that fragile disposition. I'd like to see a player like him with us, but I don't see us doing it.

I think Inter have been most linked to him.

3 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Tchouameni looks like a good prospect, but when it comes to midfield reinforcements Bellingham is the priority for me. They're totally different players but I just wouldn't want to lose out on the latter if we didn't have the funds for both.

For me, we're entering a space where quality certainly beats out quantity. Here's how I read it:

• GK: Allison, Kelleher (-Adrian)
  • RB: Trent, Gomez (+Noussair Mazraoui [Free])
    • (-Neco Williams, £20m)
  • CB: VVD, Konate, Matip, Gomez, Rhys Williams
    • (-Ben Davies, Nat Phillips, £30m)
  • LB: Robbo, Tsimikas
  • CM: Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Keita, Elliot, Jones (+Bellingham, £90m) (+Tchouameni, £40m) 
    • (-Oxlaid, -Milner, £20m)
  • FWD: Salah, Mane, Diaz, Firmino, Jota (+Nkunku, £50m) 
    • (-Origi, -Minamino, £20m)

That'd be a net outlay of £90m and I've done my best to stay conservative with figures. In order of priority, I would say Bellingham > Nkunku > Mazraoui > Tchouameni, only because:

• I trust Klopp to be able to coach any of our midfielders bar Elliot to be a semi-effective number 6 if Fab is out. But I don't think you can coach a player to be what Bellingham is
  • We need a RB, and Noussair is on a free and being touted for Barca; I think he'd be a Tsimikas clone on the right side
  • This season, Origi has 7 G/A and Minamino has 10 G/A. If we lose both (we will def lose Origi and I think Jesse Marsch will be in for Taki), we need another forward. Nkunku or Adeyemi could be options
  • I think it's time to call the curtain on Adrian, Milner and Oxlaid. I'd rather we saved the wages because their contributions at this point are mainly non-football related.

I know about 5% of the above is going to come true so I have no fucking clue why I just spent 20 mins writing all of that out. 

£70m for Ben Davies, Nat Phillips, Neco Williams, Origi and Minamino. Conservative?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Mæhle from Atalanta for RB cover. 

Bissouma from Brighton

Carvalho from Fulham

Then a big boy up front, which could be one of quite a few, may be a case of waiting. 

You'd struggle to get a 24 year old starter at a very good Italian club to come play back up to a RB who's going to be around for the next ten years.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, General Dryness said:

I thought the plan was for Trent to move into midfield eventually. Or was that just speculation?

Just speculation, I believe. Every time I’ve heard Klopp asked about it, he’s been unenthusiastic. E.g. “why would you make the best right-back in the world a midfielder? I don’t understand that really”. 
https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11669/12404250/trent-alexander-arnold-liverpool-boss-jurgen-klopp-cannot-understand-gareth-southgate-using-right-back-in-midfield

• Upvote 2

What do people think Trent will do from midfield that he doesn’t already do from ‘right back’. He’s already our playmaker and biggest creative outlet. The fact he mucks in defensively is a bonus if anything. He’s like David Beckham and Rob Jones rolled in to one. As long as he carries on doing what he’s doing who cares where his starting position is?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

What do people think Trent will do from midfield that he doesn’t already do from ‘right back’. He’s already our playmaker and biggest creative outlet. The fact he mucks in defensively is a bonus if anything. He’s like David Beckham and Rob Jones rolled in to one. As long as he carries on doing what he’s doing who cares where his starting position is?

I think the only rationale for moving Trent into midfield would be on a part time basis, in certain situations, to provide playing time for another right back on the books.

If we looked to sign a Djed Spence, for example, with a view to developing him over the next few years, then moving Trent to the midfield and having him play in the de Bruyne position he's already occupying (albeit starting from further forward) with a more traditional right back providing the width might be a handy alternative. Especially against teams who play a low block where there's a need to try and stretch the defence.

The majority of the time he should be playing from right back though.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Oscar_the_Grouch said:

Just speculation, I believe. Every time I’ve heard Klopp asked about it, he’s been unenthusiastic. E.g. “why would you make the best right-back in the world a midfielder? I don’t understand that really”. 
https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11669/12404250/trent-alexander-arnold-liverpool-boss-jurgen-klopp-cannot-understand-gareth-southgate-using-right-back-in-midfield

1 hour ago, El Dangerous said:

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

I think the only rationale for moving Trent into midfield would be on a part time basis, in certain situations, to provide playing time for another right back on the books.

If we looked to sign a Djed Spence, for example, with a view to developing him over the next few years, then moving Trent to the midfield and having him play in the de Bruyne position he's already occupying (albeit starting from further forward) with a more traditional right back providing the width might be a handy alternative. Especially against teams who play a low block where there's a need to try and stretch the defence.

The majority of the time he should be playing from right back though.

Agree with all of this. I was asking as I'd heard it mentioned a while ago and don't remember hearing it mentioned since.

Makes more sense to leave him where he is.

26 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

From the little I've seen, yeah. 

I quite like the look of Sinisterra at Feyenoord as well. 

We already have Mane, Jota and Diaz who are naturally left sided attackers. I would’ve thought we’d be more focused on the opposite side. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Agree with all of this. I was asking as I'd heard it mentioned a while ago and don't remember hearing it mentioned since.

Makes more sense to leave him where he is.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Klopps eventual replacement tries it. Very few people will be able to take over from him and carry on playing the way he has us playing. It’ll be like hiring a mega bus driver to drive an F1 car.

3 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

What do people think Trent will do from midfield that he doesn’t already do from ‘right back’. He’s already our playmaker and biggest creative outlet. The fact he mucks in defensively is a bonus if anything. He’s like David Beckham and Rob Jones rolled in to one.

He's more like Beckham playing at right back. He's no Rob Jones.