You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Bellingham is a borderline ridiculous shout at this point but weirdly it's all people talk about. There's so little value in signing a midfielder who isn't even 20 for around 100m and it ignores the fact that Haaland is probably being sold first anyway and Dortmund will keep him. It's almost as if people are begging for a potential flop transfer. It almost doesn't even matter how good he is or might be, it's terrible value for money. Look at the list of players who have gone for that sort of money and it's almost all a disaster. 

Look at City; they had a fantastic strategy of buying players around the 50m range. Then they go outside of that, pay 100m for Grealish, who is still a very good player, but all of a sudden, it seemed like stupid business. Because the fee was ridiculous.

Just stick to the around 40m range for a midfielder. And we'll hopefully get Carvalho as well. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Bellingham is a borderline ridiculous shout at this point but weirdly it's all people talk about. There's so little value in signing a midfielder who isn't even 20 for around 100m and it ignores the fact that Haaland is probably being sold first anyway and Dortmund will keep him. It's almost as if people are begging for a potential flop transfer. It almost doesn't even matter how good he is or might be, it's terrible value for money. Look at the list of players who have gone for that sort of money and it's almost all a disaster. 

We’ve been continually linked with Bellingham, even articles over the past couple of days have commented how much we link him, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to discuss.

I don’t think it’s terrible value for money. If he’s as good as everybody says he is (and the club believe so as well) then I think we should do it. 

He’s a success and stays with us for 15 years. He’s not and, I hate the term, there is a large resale value. 

It’s obviously a risk but like VVD and Alisson, if we think it’s worth taking, we should do it. 

I don't see the need to sign Bellingham. Elliot will take that role and Carvalho will likely be turned into a midfielder because he's not fast enough to be a winger. Tchouaméni is the best bet. It gives us the option of playing him and Fabinho together. Besides, £80m for Bellingham is way over the top. He's done nothing to warrant that fee. Reyna has played better than him and Julian Brandt's numbers are also better in the same team. If he was doing what Haaland is doing I'd understand it, but he's not.

16 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I'd agree but I hate it when people say that so and so can "do a job" at right back. So could I, so could anyone, it doesn't mean they're any good there. I mean Joe Gomez is a perfect example of that imo.

Call me old fashioned but I always want a right back playing at right back, and with so many subs these days I don't find that unreasonable.

That's fair enough. In an ideal world we'd find a right-sided Tsimikas. Decent enough pro, twenties, available for sub £10m.

I can see why we go down the "do a job" route though. Money is finite, and Klopp seems to like working with a core group of adaptable players rather than swelling the squad. When he's desperate he dips into the academy.

4 minutes ago, Boss said:

I don't see the need to sign Bellingham. Elliot will take that role and Carvalho will likely be turned into a midfielder because he's not fast enough to be a winger. Tchouaméni is the best bet. It gives us the option of playing him and Fabinho together. Besides, £80m for Bellingham is way over the top. He's done nothing to warrant that fee. Reyna has played better than him and Julian Brandt's numbers are also better in the same team. If he was doing what Haaland is doing I'd understand it, but he's not.

Tchouameni's potential fee also seems to be inflating above a reasonable amount. We should pay about what we paid for Diaz. In the 50m range, not higher. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Look at City; they had a fantastic strategy of buying players around the 50m range. Then they go outside of that, pay 100m for Grealish, who is still a very good player, but all of a sudden, it seemed like stupid business. Because the fee was ridiculous.

Just stick to the around 40m range for a midfielder. And we'll hopefully get Carvalho as well. 

Grealish isn't a flop he's just another body turned into a Pepbot. The cost is irrelevant to the club.

4 minutes ago, No2 said:

Grealish isn't a flop he's just another body turned into a Pepbot. The cost is irrelevant to the club.

I agree it matters little to City, but unlike most of their signings, the Grealish transfer hasn't been great value. That kind of investment would matter to us, very much. If it goes wrong, it would be really really bad. 

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Certainly floppish.

3 golas and 3 assists in all comps.

Pep has turned him into a ball recycling machine, he's neutered him. If he's doing what his manager signed him to do then he can't be a flop. He will be perceived that way though.

8 minutes ago, No2 said:

Pep has turned him into a ball recycling machine, he's neutered him. If he's doing what his manager signed him to do then he can't be a flop. He will be perceived that way though.

He's a cog in the machine so to speak, but they didn't need to spend 100m to get one of those. That's kind of the point; thus far, you rarely get value from spending that kind of money on one player. 

• Like 1

I think that Carvalho is still a done deal, even if we didn't get the paperwork over the line. A bit of a Naby-like deal if you will.

Bellingham would be nice but probably more than we could afford without a major sale so I think we'll have to look elsewhere. I know nothing about Tchouameni so bow to those who do.

I'm not sure who you would bring in as an attacker, as I think Bobby may go but we'll have Salah (fingers crossed), Jota, Mane, Diaz and probably Origi....

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

We seem to be strongly linked with Belligerent and Tchouaméni. 

My preference would be Bellingham because of the home grown quota and I’ve liked him when I’ve seen him play. 

I’m not precious either way. I’d assume Tchouameni would be more affordable.

To be honest, if Bellingham is going to cost £80m or whatever, if we think he’s that good, we should do our best to pay it. He’ll be 19 next season, he could be a mainstay in our side for 15 years. 

I see Tielemans is out of contract in 2023, so I assume he’d either sign this summer or be sold. We’ve often been linked with him. I’m not overly convinced by him and if we’re going for either of the above players, I doubt we’d have the funds. 

Tolisso of Bayern is also out of contract. I think he’d be a good addition as a squad player. 

Who else comes or goes is dependent on our desire to sorting the below and / or any additional sales (ie Gomez). 

DC65AD73-92BF-4DD3-9723-74E994EC9BC9.jpeg

Tielemans could be one of those with the potential to massively improve under Klopp and in a better side. Like Jota and Wijnaldum, they were far from superstars until we signed them. 

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

We seem to be strongly linked with Belligerent and Tchouaméni. 

My preference would be Bellingham because of the home grown quota and I’ve liked him when I’ve seen him play. 

I’m not precious either way. I’d assume Tchouameni would be more affordable.

To be honest, if Bellingham is going to cost £80m or whatever, if we think he’s that good, we should do our best to pay it. He’ll be 19 next season, he could be a mainstay in our side for 15 years. 

I see Tielemans is out of contract in 2023, so I assume he’d either sign this summer or be sold. We’ve often been linked with him. I’m not overly convinced by him and if we’re going for either of the above players, I doubt we’d have the funds. 

Tolisso of Bayern is also out of contract. I think he’d be a good addition as a squad player. 

Who else comes or goes is dependent on our desire to sorting the below and / or any additional sales (ie Gomez). 

DC65AD73-92BF-4DD3-9723-74E994EC9BC9.jpeg

Great shout there for Corantin Tolliso. Used to be a big fan but he seems tohave got lost in the shuffle somehow at Bayern.

31 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Tielemans could be one of those with the potential to massively improve under Klopp and in a better side. Like Jota and Wijnaldum, they were far from superstars until we signed them. 

I agree but for some reason, he doesn’t get my juices flowing - something about it doesn’t feel right. 

• Upvote 1

Pote from Sporting would be a good signing for the midfield. He's playing as a forward nowadays but he scored a crazy amount of goals last season from centre mid. He's a very intelligent player. He's not fast or particularly skilful. He's a bit like Thomas Muller in the sense that he just knows where he needs to be at any given time.