You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

2 central midfielders; quick, not midgets and under 25, and we're sorted.

1 should be predominantly offensive, the other predominantly defensive. Wont be cheap but it's what our squad is crying out for.

I'm always perplexed by the calls for a back up right back too. The disrespect that young Neco receives is shameful, he's an excellent young player and an excellent back up to Trent.

And realistically, how many top right backs out there would come to us to play as back up to Trent? They'd have to be excellent already to be any better than Neco and they'd cost a flipping fortune too, so can't see it happening.

I've seen the rumours about Lamptey and he's an attacking sensation down the wing but can he defend and is he any better than Neco? He'd cost a fortune too, dipping into the Bellingham money?

4 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

1 should be predominantly offensive, the other predominantly defensive. Wont be cheap but it's what our squad is crying out for.

I'm always perplexed by the calls for a back up right back too. The disrespect that young Neco receives is shameful, he's an excellent young player and an excellent back up to Trent.

And realistically, how many top right backs out there would come to us to play as back up to Trent? They'd have to be excellent already to be any better than Neco and they'd cost a flipping fortune too, so can't see it happening.

I've seen the rumours about Lamptey and he's an attacking sensation down the wing but can he defend and is he any better than Neco? He'd cost a fortune too, dipping into the Bellingham money?

I get what you are saying about Neco but I think the exposure to first team football at Fulham will make him want to leave in order to gain more experience.

Having a backup to trent is always going to be difficult as anyone worth their salt will want to play therefore won't want to be backup, if Neco does leave i think the place will go to another acadamy player.

21 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Lamptey is a far better right back than Neco Williams.

Bellingham, Carvalho and a Salah contract. 

Job done. 

Obviously that’s a little dependent on whether Conor Bradley is deemed good enough to be the understudy for Trent (assuming Neco will leave)

If Gomez leaves then I think Sep Van Den Berg might be in for a stint as fourth choice centre back. 

Another big one would be nice, but unlikely. The net spend these incomings (including our Jan spend) balanced with potential outgoings will provide is about the limit of what our owners will sanction. 

If Salah doesn’t sign, the picture changes of course.

24 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Bellingham, Carvalho and a Salah contract. 

Job done. 

Obviously that’s a little dependent on whether Conor Bradley is deemed good enough to be the understudy for Trent (assuming Neco will leave)

If Gomez leaves then I think Sep Van Den Berg might be in for a stint as fourth choice centre back. 

Another big one would be nice, but unlikely. The net spend these incomings (including our Jan spend) balanced with potential outgoings will provide is about the limit of what our owners will sanction. 

If Salah doesn’t sign, the picture changes of course.

That'd be a disaster. We need four good centre backs. We'd be fools if we go back to three again now we've got the balance perfect. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SlugTrail said:

I get what you are saying about Neco but I think the exposure to first team football at Fulham will make him want to leave in order to gain more experience.

Having a backup to trent is always going to be difficult as anyone worth their salt will want to play therefore won't want to be backup, if Neco does leave i think the place will go to another acadamy player.

Total agree.

39 minutes ago, Boss said:

That'd be a disaster. We need four good centre backs. We'd be fools if we go back to three again now we've got the balance perfect. 

We definitely won't be going to anything less than 4 established centre backs again.

The chances of us signing Bellingham ended the day he joined Dortmund. Our strategy is pretty clear at this stage, young lads with favorable contract situations (Elliott, Gordon, Carvalho, Konate) and experienced players ready for the first team but haven't peaked. The 2021 version of Jarrod Bowen fits the model perfectly, the 2022 version is not something that will interest us in anyway.

There will be the odd Thiago type but 90% of signings will fit into those categories. 

I'm going for Carvalho, Carney Chukwuemeka and one other, probably a centre forward brought in with a view to replacing Bobby the following year.

If you look at the age groups, there seems to be a clear strategy:

A team around the 18 to 23 group

- Kelleher, Konate, Williams, TAA, Bradley, Morton, Jones, Elliott, Gordon

A team around the 24 to 28 group 

- Gomez, Phillips, Tsimikas, Robbo, Keita, Oxlade, Minamino, Jota, Diaz, Origi

The current team which makes up the spine

- Alisson, Matip, VVD, Hendo, Milner, Thiago, Salah, Mane, Bobby

The first group has 3 right backs, which explains why Neco is surplus.

Had Keita, Oxlade, Minamino and Origi worked out as hoped, we'd be in a much better position longer term.

I think everyone agrees that that sub-group needs to be upgraded 

The choices we have are: buying ready-made (Diaz, Konate), buying potential (Carvalho), or working with what we've got.

• Upvote 1

Carvalho will probably be our attacking midfielder. 

Tchoumeni 

Another attacker if Firmino leaves to go to Barcelona. 

Aarons may be a good and cheapish back up for Trent And can also play left back in a real emergency. Depends whether he'd want that at this stage of his career. 

If Gomez leaves we could get that Sven Botman for probably half the price. 

Lamptey is a cracking player and in an ideal world I'd love him at Liverpool, but:

1. Would he come to play second fiddle to Trent?

2. He would cost a fortune and that would undoubtedly take a huge chunk of our summer budget, which would be far better directed at a starting midfielder

3. Neco Williams is an excellent young, homegrown fullback, an excellent back up to Trent. Would spunking £30m on someone to come in as a reserve right back be a prudent use of resource? Rhetorical.

11 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Lamptey is a cracking player and in an ideal world I'd love him at Liverpool, but:

1. Would he come to play second fiddle to Trent?

2. He would cost a fortune and that would undoubtedly take a huge chunk of our summer budget, which would be far better directed at a starting midfielder

3. Neco Williams is an excellent young, homegrown fullback, an excellent back up to Trent. Would spunking £30m on someone to come in as a reserve right back be a prudent use of resource? Rhetorical.

The plan must be to keep churning out RB's that can play 6-8 a season and sell them on for £5m-£10m. Ferguson made a fortune selling scrap to Everton and Sunderland. Bournemouth, I'm looking at you.

1 minute ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Williams won't be here much longer, and Lamptey would cost a fortune.

Our back up RB will be an academy player or whoever can adapt to fill in for a few games.

I'd agree but I hate it when people say that so and so can "do a job" at right back. So could I, so could anyone, it doesn't mean they're any good there. I mean Joe Gomez is a perfect example of that imo.

Call me old fashioned but I always want a right back playing at right back, and with so many subs these days I don't find that unreasonable.

We seem to be strongly linked with Belligerent and Tchouaméni. 

My preference would be Bellingham because of the home grown quota and I’ve liked him when I’ve seen him play. 

I’m not precious either way. I’d assume Tchouameni would be more affordable.

To be honest, if Bellingham is going to cost £80m or whatever, if we think he’s that good, we should do our best to pay it. He’ll be 19 next season, he could be a mainstay in our side for 15 years. 

I see Tielemans is out of contract in 2023, so I assume he’d either sign this summer or be sold. We’ve often been linked with him. I’m not overly convinced by him and if we’re going for either of the above players, I doubt we’d have the funds. 

Tolisso of Bayern is also out of contract. I think he’d be a good addition as a squad player. 

Who else comes or goes is dependent on our desire to sorting the below and / or any additional sales (ie Gomez). 

DC65AD73-92BF-4DD3-9723-74E994EC9BC9.jpeg