You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monaco game

Brownie

I don't want to sound silly but how bad is this luck going to get? Garcia get's injured 2 minutes in, plan A out of the window. His replacement then gets injured, plan B out of the window.

I'm getting fucking sick of it. And don't give me all of this 'you make your own luck' shit because its got nothing to do with it. You cannot under any circumstance deserve to lose your first 3 choice of striker. Its a ridiculous situation to occur.

I was really looking forward to seeing Finnan in ahead of Josemi and within 2 minutes its impossible. Then Josemi comes on and proceeds to look like barely a conference player although to be fair it must be difficult coming on after only 2 minutes of a game.

I really fear for us up until January I really do, although having said that if we get any of the luck back that we deserve then who knows.

Horrible night.

Beat me to it with this thread Ian. I am worried about how we'll cope until we can bring in players. The squad is starting to look paper-thin and I can't see where we'll get a goal from. The chips are well and truly down for Rafa, now.

Excuses, excuses. We were playing a poor team who were low on confidence. Rafa picks a team to get a draw, Monaco were there for the taking and we blew it. There are no excuses for a performance like that, no inspiration, no drive, no determination.

A bunch of players all looking to somebody else to pull them out of the shit.

If there has ever been a more depressing Liverpool performance I didn't witness it.

Excuses, excuses. We were playing a poor team who were low on confidence. Rafa picks a team to get a draw, Monaco were there for the taking and we blew it. .

In what way was the team selected looking for a draw? Mellor started, as did Gerrard.......with the options available on the bench Benitez's team couldn't have lined up in a much more attacking way. I for one was happy when I saw the teamsheet, and thought he had made the right selections.

We were poor, but I don't think a different team selection would have drastically altered that fact

Excuses, excuses. We were playing a poor team who were low on confidence. Rafa picks a team to get a draw, Monaco were there for the taking and we blew it. There are no excuses for a performance like that, no inspiration, no drive, no determination.

A bunch of players all looking to somebody else to pull them out of the shit.

If there has ever been a more depressing Liverpool performance I didn't witness it.

I agree with Hermes. Although we are having some terrible luck, the performance was abysmal. The midfield were shocking, and made it very difficult for Mellor. He isn't a Baros who can beat teams on his own, he needs service, and what he got tonight was anything but.

We lost this game in midfield, as not one of them were weven worthy of a 6 out of ten.

Strange that Hermes never mentioned how great Carra was though ;-)

Strange? When did I ever use the word "great" in the same sentence as Carra? :>) Bit dodgy on the goal don't you think? Standing appealing instead of defending. Picky, I know but you started it. :>)

I agree with Hermes. Although we are having some terrible luck, the performance was abysmal. The midfield were shocking, and made it very difficult for Mellor. He isn't a Baros who can beat teams on his own, he needs service, and what he got tonight was anything but.

We lost this game in midfield, as not one of them were weven worthy of a 6 out of ten.

im sorry sometimes you just have to say that we were poor because we didnt have any strikers that were any good,

I felt sorry for Mellor its a big step up from the coca cola to the CL and he didnt get any service but the ball didnt stick either which isnt a reflection on him but is an indication of all our away performances.

im sure Alonso would have come on second half if Josemi and Garcia hadnt had to go off

Sometimes you just have to accept your medicine and for me i approved of the team before kick off so i see no point in blaming Rafa for his fettish for dead black cats

Although we were poor, you've got to take into account the factors here surely. Losing Garcia was a big blow, the people who have been having a go at him saw that he is actually an important player for us. Yes he can be frustrating but he makes things happen simple as that.

As for agreeing that we were looking for a draw I totally disagree. What else could he have done? Maybe Alonso could have played but he's being saved for Sunday.

Many of us have been advocating a chance for Biscan yet he was awful, and although Mellor didn't get any service when he did get a pass his touch was terrible I thought. Im a big fan of his but he looked lost.

I just think you have to look at the factors in the game, within 2 minutes the game plan was out of the window and such is the bad luck with injuries, we had few options.

And we did not lose the game because of the midfield, we lost it because the referee failed to see a blatant handball, fact.

im sorry sometimes you just have to say that we were poor because we didnt have any strikers that were any good,

I felt sorry for Mellor its a big step up from the coca cola to the CL and he didnt get any service but the ball didnt stick either which isnt a reflection on him but is an indication of all our away performances.

im sure Alonso would have come on second half if Josemi and Garcia hadnt had to go off

Sometimes you just have to accept your medicine and for me i approved of the team before kick off so i see no point in blaming Rafa for his fettish for dead black cats

In the last 20 minutes of the match yesterday I was screaming for Alonso. We were too impatient and started kicking long balls from defence with no effect (of course). Alonso could have calmed things down and given us the opportunity to play through our midfield. The problem was we’d used all our subs. However, I quite understand Rafas decision to do whatever he could to keep width to our game, thus replacing Hamann with Warnock. It proved to be a bad substitution with Warnock being too geared up (and Kewell awful once again I must add).

Had we not had the two injuries I’m quite sure Rafa would have thrown Alonso in at the end of the match. I believe that could have turned things around.

It's very frustrating to lose a match courtesy of the referee - AGAIN! Wtf is going on with us and the refs at the moment? When you se an instant reaction from six, seven players around the incident, they are seldom wrong.

It was clear in the second minute that this wasn't going to be our night. But I must admit I felt confident at the interval, we had shut up shop pretty good. Monaco didn't have a shot on target in the first half.

Gerrard was definately not up for it, not that I blame him. He's obviously far from match fit. I fear the Arsenal game already... I didn't think our midfield worked at all. Garcias injury meant changing to a five-man midfield, that was obviously not the plan. Hamann was shocking, in fact as poor as I have ever seen him for us.

When Benitez finally axed Josemi, it lasted two mins! Not that Josemi lasted the entire game, of course... I can't believe Kirkland is still up and running, but then again November isn't over yet! I'm seriously starting to worry about being able to finish fourth. And I still cringe when I think about Djimi's knee. I think he was injured when he came off.

Credit to Monaco for putting us under a lot of pressure when we were in posession, we definately couldn't handle it. Unfortunately Saviola could...