You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wokeism

Bjornebye

29 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

How many 3-5 year-olds have you studied? 

I've never seen a badger, but I'm not going to deny their existence on that basis.

Well, I have got two of my own. And learning about how they are/do developing is pretty high up on the list of priorities. 

Putting forward an idea that kids as young as 3 are putting a value on skin colour is as bonkers as denying Covid exists. 

It’s going a bit far to make a young undeveloped generation that they are racists at the age of 3.

Straight out of the Chairman Mao Book Of Education.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Well, I have got two of my own. And learning about how they are/do developing is pretty high up on the list of priorities. 

Putting forward an idea that kids as young as 3 are putting a value on skin colour is as bonkers as denying Covid exists. 

It’s going a bit far to make a young undeveloped generation that they are racists at the age of 3.

Straight out of the Chairman Mao Book Of Education.

e pur si muove 

Actual scientists who have studied more than two children have reached a different conclusion to you.

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

e pur si muove 

Actual scientists who have studied more than two children have reached a different conclusion to you.

I’d imagine it would be possible get 270 parents (including Scientists and other child development experts) to the write an open letter asking for the OU to have that taken down as dangerous information. 

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

And there's enough information to support the theory. 

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/education-development/how-do-children-learn-the-concept-race 

Fuckin tosh. They talk about parents discussing race with their children pre school...yeah right and then talk about babies age 6 to 9 months! Suppose you have to do something to justify the grant.

22 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I’d imagine it would be possible get 270 parents (including Scientists and other child development experts) to the write an open letter asking for the OU to have that taken down as dangerous information. 

Good luck with organising that.

Meanwhile, could you please explain which of the following you disagree with. 

1.  Children are not born racist.

2.  Before they start school, children learn stuff. They don't start school as a complete blank slate.

3.  The social/cultural stuff they learn doesn't just come from their parents: it also comes from friends, family members, telly, books, toys, etc. 

4.  The social/cultural stuff they learn this way tends to reflect the social/cultural attitudes of the society in which they live. 

5.  If they live in a society where racist attitudes are normalised, they will absorb a bit of that. 

These all strike me as perfectly plausible hypotheses and it looks like they are confirmed by scientific research.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Fuckin tosh. They talk about parents discussing race with their children pre school...yeah right and then talk about babies age 6 to 9 months! Suppose you have to do something to justify the grant.

Nobody is suggesting talking about race with babies who can't talk.

13 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Good luck with organising that.

Meanwhile, could you please explain which of the following you disagree with. 

1.  Children are not born racist.

2.  Before they start school, children learn stuff. They don't start school as a complete blank slate.

3.  The social/cultural stuff they learn doesn't just come from their parents: it also comes from friends, family members, telly, books, toys, etc. 

4.  The social/cultural stuff they learn this way tends to reflect the social/cultural attitudes of the society in which they live. 

5.  If they live in a society where racist attitudes are normalised, they will absorb a bit of that. 

These all strike me as perfectly plausible hypotheses and it looks like they are confirmed by scientific research.

I don’t disagree with any of them. That’s not the issue here. And you know that. 

24 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I don’t disagree with any of them. That’s not the issue here. And you know that. 

I really don't know what your issue is. 

You agree, then, that before they start school children will have learned the attitudes of their society?  And that our society is (despite a lot of progress in recent decades) still pretty racist?

The conclusion that educators - in Brighton, at least - seem to have reached is that the best way to break the cycle of racism is through education and that the best way to educate anyone about anything is to understand what their starting point is. I honestly don't see what any objection to this is. (I suspect that the editor of the Telegraph also realises that there's nothing objectionable here, which is why he chose to lie in the headline.)

15 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I really don't know what your issue is. 

You agree, then, that before they start school children will have learned the attitudes of their society?  And that our society is (despite a lot of progress in recent decades) still pretty racist?

The conclusion that educators - in Brighton, at least - seem to have reached is that the best way to break the cycle of racism is through education and that the best way to educate anyone about anything is to understand what their starting point is. I honestly don't see what any objection to this is. (I suspect that the editor of the Telegraph also realises that there's nothing objectionable here, which is why he chose to lie in the headline.)

I have no issue in racism being dealt with through education. None whatsoever.

What I do have an issue with is, complete bullshit language and “science” that kids “value” colour at a young age.

How the fuck does a scientist know what 3 year old kid values in terms of social issues. Do they sit down and do a questionnaire with them like Scientology does? “Does emotional music have quite an effect you?” or “do you often sing or whistle just for fun?”

You ask any white kid what the difference between themselves and the 4 Asian kids in their class and they will give for it different reasons and it won’t be colour. It’ll be stuff like they wear unicorn jumpers or likes egg butties. Not race or skin colour. 

And who decides this? 

As I said, straight out the Maoist Book of Education. 

2 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I have no issue in racism being dealt with through education. None whatsoever.

What I do have an issue with is, complete bullshit language and “science” that kids “value” colour at a young age.

How the fuck does a scientist know what 3 year old kid values in terms of social issues. Do they sit down and do a questionnaire with them like Scientology does? “Does emotional music have quite an effect you?” or “do you often sing or whistle just for fun?”

You ask any white kid what the difference between themselves and the 4 Asian kids in their class and they will give for it different reasons and it won’t be colour. It’ll be stuff like they wear unicorn jumpers or likes egg butties. Not race or skin colour. 

And who decides this? 

As I said, straight out the Maoist Book of Education. 

Do you know how these studies are conducted? Or have you just decided that they're bullshit without trying to find out?

2 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Or if it’s the right king science.

If you - or anyone else - has got any evidence to contradict the research in that OU link or any of the other things I've read today, then of course I'd be interested. But so far, all I've got is the results of my (admittedly brief and shallow) Google searches on one side; and you on the other side, dismissing it out of hand for no better reason than you don't want to believe it.

20 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

All of @Mook's carefully crafted reputation as a music connoisseur gone in a flash. 

There isn't enough Coltrane or Baby Huey in the world to make up for that.

I've got two young kids, I've listened to far worse than the badger song & regularly too.

12 hours ago, Brownie said:

“Racial bias in babies aged 6-9 months”.

Can’t get my head around that at all. I can only speak as a parent here but it sounds absolutely ridiculous to me, based on my experiences.

The little fuckers can't feed themselves, have a shit without help, contribute money to the house, yet they can spend btime being racists? Kill them all, I'd say.

13 hours ago, Brownie said:

“Racial bias in babies aged 6-9 months”.

Can’t get my head around that at all. I can only speak as a parent here but it sounds absolutely ridiculous to me, based on my experiences.

Exactly what a privileged white racist would say...