You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wokeism

Bjornebye

39 minutes ago, No2 said:

When I was young there was a woman in a mental home that identified as Gary Newman. If you called her "woman" you were guaranteed a chase that could last hours, she wouldn't stop until someone came looking for her and took her back.

That's my contribution to the thread.

Hahahaha 

4 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Well, as a parent I can only say that it probably depends on the individual parent. There’s lots of stuff that other parents do, say, or ways they act that I find unacceptable. There’s much, much more damaging shit that goes on in people’s homes than story time with a drag queen. Most of these kids have no idea what’s going on. I don’t see any more of a safeguarding issue than with teachers, magicians, sports coaches etc. I doubt I’d be rushing out to drag queen story time if I were to do it over again, but not for fear of fiddlers or whatever, but because I think it’s generally a bit annoying. 

Of course there are always worse examples but at the end of the day it comes down to you as a parent as to what you think is acceptable. For me there are always age limits when it comes down to what your kids see, read and listen to. These days I wouldn’t always rely on some of the knobheads in schools to do that for me.

On 27/07/2022 at 17:13, Rico1304 said:

I mean if there were tweets from this man expressing a sexual preference for men who look very, very young wouldn’t be bothered would you? 

34 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Is that it? Because it's not what we were promised at all.

18 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Is that it? Because it's not what we were promised at all.

He’s not got time to answer questions. Give him a break. He’s busy. Leave it out. 

55 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Just so I'm clear...

Because this bloke posts jokey stuff about going to gay clubs and copping off with men,  he shouldn't be allowed to work with children.

And it's ridiculous to compare that with Section 28.

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Drag has been the fundamental central pillar of pantomime as long as I’ve been around, and pantomime exists as family entertainment.

I can’t stand panto myself, never have enjoyed it and only go now reluctantly if i can’t come up with an excuse that my daughter is willing to accept, but there is always (and presumably always has been) adult themed jokes that are designed to go straight over the very young kids heads, land with the adults, and get smirks and titters from the older kids who sort of get it.

I’ve not been to “aimed at adults” drag shows, but I’ve seen enough on Tv to say I’m sure they are less subtle and don’t try as hard to hide the meaning but they’re aimed at adults so who cares.

I’ve similarly not been to “aimed at kids” drag shows, but I’d expect the people commissioning and overseeing them to make sure they were more aligned with a panto than a midnight cabaret.

don’t see there to be need to get knickers in a twist on the general premise of something that’s been celebrated as an art form for decades without specific cause. 

good governance, that’s all that’s needed. 

In the Netherlands they have a black face day where people black up. It’s obviously massively inappropriate but the defenders claim it’s “traditional” and hence acceptable. For me, drag is similar. It’s rooted in hating women, parodying their mannerisms sbd looks but then claiming it’s traditional. It’s never a celebration of what women have done, it’s always mocking. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Just so I'm clear...

Because this bloke posts jokey stuff about going to gay clubs and copping off with men,  he shouldn't be allowed to work with children.

And it's ridiculous to compare that with Section 28.

I think if someone doing DD on this fella saw a tweet about a sexual preference for young looking men (or women) it would be of interest. Safeguarding.  Ask Col, it’s his job isn’t it?  I mean if he said ‘I love fucking young looking people’ putting him in an environment with young kids might raise a flag.  Say he did do something and then this tweet came up. Would you say the lack of safeguarding was obvious? 

9 minutes ago, Moo said:

So if safeguarding and screening is not reliable, should all males be prevented from being children's entertainers?  

According to Stronts, everyone with a penis is a potential rapist; so only women and trans men should be allowed to work with children.

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I think if someone doing DD on this fella saw a tweet about a sexual preference for young looking men (or women) it would be of interest. Safeguarding.  Ask Col, it’s his job isn’t it?  I mean if he said ‘I love fucking young looking people’ putting him in an environment with young kids might raise a flag.  Say he did do something and then this tweet came up. Would you say the lack of safeguarding was obvious? 

Incidentally, have you ever seen an adult so young-looking that they look like a toddler?

If someone is nobbing a 19 or 20 year-old, that doesn't debar them from working with infants.

7 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

In the Netherlands they have a black face day where people black up. It’s obviously massively inappropriate but the defenders claim it’s “traditional” and hence acceptable. For me, drag is similar. It’s rooted in hating women, parodying their mannerisms sbd looks but then claiming it’s traditional. It’s never a celebration of what women have done, it’s always mocking. 

The lead panto roles are usually women; the ugly sisters and Widow Twanky are just supporting cast members.

15 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

As I say, I don’t enjoy panto so I’m not going to be the biggest advocate for it or for the role of drag in it, but the pantomime dame is normally not the one mocked, other than the likes of Cinderella’s ugly step sisters, it is normally a sympathetic character and one which takes the mickey out of people, and I wouldn’t say I’ve seen “hating women” as obvious within it.

we’re obviously seeing different things, though admittedly I’ve never looked for it so maybe you’re right. I dunno.

13 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Incidentally, have you ever seen an adult so young-looking that they look like a toddler?

If someone is nobbing a 19 or 20 year-old, that doesn't debar them from working with infants.

Ha ha ha ha ha the kid with the footy and back pack looks about fucking 12! That tweet says ‘it’s ok to fancy him because he’s actually 23, not 12’. Fucking hell. 

15 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Anyone else brave enough to say that the kid with the ball and backpack looks fucking 19?  Ha ha ha ha ha.