You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wokeism

Bjornebye

36 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Oh for sure there are people who are going over the top by being offended but in general when people are calling the bbc “woke” for having a black presenter it’s fucking racism. The likes of Lawrence fox and hopkins are examples of racists who have ‘support’ because they won’t ‘conform’ to wokeism. Wokeism being awareness of racial prejudice and upsetting people. 

Just like the backlash to "PC gone mad" a generation ago, the "anti-woke" noisemakers - the the people for whom a vegan sausage roll, a female Doctor Who or a black arithmetician on Countdown signal the end of Western civilisation - are louder, more numerous and more prominent in the media than anybody who is painfully right-on.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Boss said:

You're constantly inventing scenarios where people are racist, misogynist, (insert some other buzzword). You run around like a baby trying to get people banned. You couldn't be more woke. 

No, I pointed out your racist comment to Dave.  I’ve not asked for anyone to be banned.  So I’m not constantly doing anything.  Your comments on several threads have been very ‘mens rights’ culminating in the comment that women were wrong to feel unsafe in the streets. We did all this at the time.  I stand by the fact I think your comment on the Holocaust was racist. Dave thought it was clumsy, his site his decision.  Other people thought the same as me but decided not to report you - no skin off my nose.  My views on men becoming women are the antithesis of woke.  We done now? 

10 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I don't even know who "they" are in this scenario. 

This looks more like a simple case of free speech.  Some website published an isolated "fact of the day". Someone expressed a non-censorious opinion. Some other people expressed their opinions. Nobody got upset.

That’s not what happened.  At all. 

10 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

The IT crowd episode where reynholm dates the transgender lady/man.

Obviously love thy neighbour as someone pointed is a bit extreme *rollseyes*

There would be bleeps every five seconds as Jack Smethurst launches into his 'Darkies' and 'Sambos' racist tirades. He does usually get his comeuppance by the end of the episode based on what I recall. Nina Baden Semper was very attractive as the black family's wife.

30 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Obviously love thy neighbour as someone pointed is a bit extreme *rollseyes*

Is it really woke that the IT Crowd episode has been pulled, portraying violence and riducle against a minority, when violence against that minority is massively on the increase?

Rather strange take that. I'd have said perhaps a bit sympathetic but that's just me.

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Well I guess they are trying to accommodate men who have babies (sigh) and they are pissing women off by not using the word woman and then dropping in male. Double standards and very clumsy.  

8 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Is it really woke that the IT Crowd episode has been pulled, portraying violence and riducle against a minority, when violence against that minority is massively on the increase?

Rather strange take that. I'd have said perhaps a bit sympathetic but that's just me.

It's a comedy programme though, it's art. It's not an instruction manual on how people should live their lives.

I think when you start censoring art, you're on a very slippery slope.

Having said that, didn't the writers have the episode pulled? In which case, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, mars said:

I think that’s the case.  But, how many nonbinary people are there, and how they identify has fuck all to do with biology.  Are you telling me that the none binary people don’t know they are women?  I’m not offending (sigh) they have offended a lot more.  

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Mook said:

There's empathy and then there's finding something sexist, racist or transphobic in every little thing in life and going on about it non-stop online.

The former is sound, the latter is a pain in the fucking neck.

Is there someone you follow on Twitter that says things you don't like? Ok sound, by keeping following them and complaining about them isn't rational or normal behaviour. 

Or maybe you're following people who farm these things from other people, giving you a distorted version of reality.  Some fucker hounding minorities and bringing you daily updates on their views through the prism of an unoppressed white male.  

'They' are at it again eh. 

The woke thing is so prevalent because there's so much still to do, and we're playing catch-up after hundreds of years of treating non white males like fucking shit. 

2 hours ago, Clem H Fandango said:

I didn't know about that. 

I saw an episode of The Young Ones a while back (on Dave, or something) and they'd cut a funny line about a copper being racist (cut because he used comically bad Love Thy Neighbour-style racist language) which was a mistake, in my opinion. 

[Edit] I don't know what the fuck that first clip is, but I can't delete it for some reason.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Is there someone you follow on Twitter that says things you don't like? Ok sound, by keeping following them and complaining about them isn't rational or normal behaviour. 

Or maybe you're following people who farm these things from other people, giving you a distorted version of reality.  Some fucker hounding minorities and bringing you daily updates on their views through the prism of an unoppressed white male.  

The woke thing is so prevalent because there's so much still to do, and we're playing catch-up after hundreds of years of treating non white males like fucking shit. 

Thanks for spectacularly missing my point.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Just the boys?

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Having a stance on men being men even if they decide they want to be female isn’t woke. I’m not arsed either way in that transgender debate but you’ll find far more “woke” or “I’m anti woke” bitches on here than him. 

Stick to music Boss. you’re Boss at it. 

Watch out watch out the Internet police are about

6 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

No, I pointed out your racist comment to Dave.  I’ve not asked for anyone to be banned.  So I’m not constantly doing anything.  Your comments on several threads have been very ‘mens rights’ culminating in the comment that women were wrong to feel unsafe in the streets. We did all this at the time.  I stand by the fact I think your comment on the Holocaust was racist. Dave thought it was clumsy, his site his decision.  Other people thought the same as me but decided not to report you - no skin off my nose.  My views on men becoming women are the antithesis of woke.  We done now? 

Nah,

9 hours ago, Mook said:

There's empathy and then there's finding something sexist, racist or transphobic in every little thing in life and going on about it non-stop online.

The former is sound, the latter is a pain in the fucking neck.

Or anti-Semitic. Don't forget anti-Semitic.

7 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I think it’s hilarious that I’m being called woke, really hilarious.  It’s possibly the funniest thing I’ve heard on here.  

Suggesting the Jews could have avoided the Holocaust is fine, suggesting women have nothing to worry about walking down the street, fine.  Saying men can’t have babies - woke.  Fuck me.  

You are a bit of an outrage merchant though, mate. Just like that hard right Lib-Demmer Strontium Dog, or whatever he's calling himself this week.

In fact, the pair of you fit that twat's description of wokeists ('people who seek offence where it doesn't exist') in the James O'Brien video down to a fucking tee.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Or anti-Semitic. Don't forget anti-Semitic.

You are a bit of an outrage merchant though, mate. Just like that hard right Lib-Demmer Strontium Dog, or whatever he's calling himself this week.

In fact, the pair of you fit that twat's description of wokeists ('people who seek offence where it doesn't exist') in the James O'Brien video down to a fucking tee.

Hold on, so I’m woke?  Is that what you’re saying? I want you to be crystal clear here.   I’m woke because I don’t think men can be women.  Are you new here by the way? 

12 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Hold on, so I’m woke?  Is that what you’re saying? I want you to be crystal clear here.   I’m woke because I don’t think men can be women.  Are you new here by the way? 

I don't think you're woke. I don't know why you would think that based on what I said. Me referring to that twats definition was more an observation on how confused these self-styled 'anti-woke' types are.

But I do think you're given to taking offence too easily.