You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wokeism

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Remmie said:

I think the power in labelling someone as woke is not actually insulting their beliefs but associating a highly obnoxious term with some people you disagree with. 

This is one of the most complete transformations I have ever seen. From a flasher to a social justice warrior. 

• Downvote 2

Initially, 'woke' was used to describe someone that was alert to inequality and issues of social justice. Now it's often used as a pejorative to describe those who insert misguided identity politics into every scenario and offer appalling 'solutions' to issues (real or imagined)

Edit: I pinched that by the way.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mook said:

There's empathy and then there's finding something sexist, racist or transphobic in every little thing in life and going on about it non-stop online.

The former is sound, the latter is a pain in the fucking neck.

I agree and for balance will add that the relentless "anti-woke" reaction is also a pain in the fucking neck.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

All this aside when Peter Dinklage expressed his annoyance at the 7 dwarves still being a thing it really made me laugh when the first comment was "someone's trying to get the part of grumpy"

That is funny. 

I was listening to Peter Dinklage talking about that and thinking he's got a point. Then I realised I would agree with just about anything if it's said in that voice.

1 hour ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I understand and believe in the use of mindful breathing exercises, I do them every day along with meditation. 

What I am fully aware of is that I can’t dismantle systems of oppression by doing it. It’s stupid comments like it is claimed that give this sort of thing the “Grifter” title.

Take it up with Christopher F Rufo. (Who he? A quick glance at his Twitter feed suggests he has a problem with anti-racism in education.) He's the one who said it, while dishonestly pretending someone else said it.

58 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Initially, 'woke' was used to describe someone that was alert to inequality and issues of social justice. Now it's often used as a pejorative to describe those who insert misguided identity politics into every scenario and offer appalling 'solutions' to issues (real or imagined)

Edit: I pinched that by the way.  

Also, it became more prevalent when Ekart Tolle used it about awareness in his book “The Power Of Now”. 

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

I think the power in labelling someone as woke is not actually insulting their beliefs but associating a highly obnoxious term with some people you disagree with. 

Completely disagree.

We don't have a real match for another 11 days, so it's good to have a thread to promote some aggro.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mook said:

There's empathy and then there's finding something sexist, racist or transphobic in every little thing in life and going on about it non-stop online.

The former is sound, the latter is a pain in the fucking neck.

Oh for sure there are people who are going over the top by being offended but in general when people are calling the bbc “woke” for having a black presenter it’s fucking racism. The likes of Lawrence fox and hopkins are examples of racists who have ‘support’ because they won’t ‘conform’ to wokeism. Wokeism being awareness of racial prejudice and upsetting people. 

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Who is trying to solve anything and what problems are being caused?

Well I guess they are trying to accommodate men who have babies (sigh) and they are pissing women off by not using the word woman and then dropping in male. Double standards and very clumsy.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Boss said:

It's a load of bollocks. Rico is the king of the woke crowd. Constantly looking for some perceived bullshit that isn't there. Must be truly exhausting living like that. 

I think it’s hilarious that I’m being called woke, really hilarious.  It’s possibly the funniest thing I’ve heard on here.  

Suggesting the Jews could have avoided the Holocaust is fine, suggesting women have nothing to worry about walking down the street, fine.  Saying men can’t have babies - woke.  Fuck me.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Well I guess they are trying to accommodate men who have babies (sigh) and they are pissing women off by not using the word woman and then dropping in male. Double standards and very clumsy.  

I’m glad Natalie Imbruglia dropped this verse from Torn 

7 minutes ago, Boss said:

It's a load of bollocks. Rico is the king of the woke crowd. Constantly looking for some perceived bullshit that isn't there. Must be truly exhausting living like that. 

Having a stance on men being men even if they decide they want to be female isn’t woke. I’m not arsed either way in that transgender debate but you’ll find far more “woke” or “I’m anti woke” bitches on here than him. 

Stick to music Boss. you’re Boss at it. 

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I think it’s hilarious that I’m being called woke, really hilarious.  It’s possibly the funniest thing I’ve heard on here.  

Suggesting the Jews could have avoided the Holocaust is fine, suggesting women have nothing to worry about walking down the street, fine.  Saying men can’t have babies - woke.  Fuck me.  

You're constantly inventing scenarios where people are racist, misogynist, (insert some other buzzword). You run around like a baby trying to get people banned. You couldn't be more woke. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I don't even know who "they" are in this scenario. 

This looks more like a simple case of free speech.  Some website published an isolated "fact of the day". Someone expressed a non-censorious opinion. Some other people expressed their opinions. Nobody got upset.