You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

League Cup Winners Draft - Final

Bjornebye

League Cup Winners Draft - Final   

9 members have voted

1. 1. Pick Your Favourite

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/01/22 at 17:48

Silly talk. He has the best goalkeeper of the 3 teams. He has the best left back of the 3 teams. He has the best right back of the 3 teams (that anyone has actually seen play). Some may argue differently but Id suggest Campbell is the best CB of the 3 teams (Watson, conversely, is the worst - so there is that).

Between Bremner & Essien for the best midfielder. Cowans & Rocastle were strange picks that could have been improved but all of these midfields are poor (Lee only has 2 midfielders, one of whom is 2 attacking to be in a midfield 2 with 4 forwards ahead of him. 

The attack is really the differentiator: Rooney was great but Duff/Yorke/McManaman are B-level picks at this stage, none of them were world class and certainly don’t merit making such a lopsidedly attacking team for. Of the other 2 teams: Drogba>Owen; Barnes>Hazard; Sterling<Ronaldo.

So Dynamite absolutely storms the defence on a pick to pick basis. Is competitive in midfield with possibly the best individual midfielder from a very weak bunch. Has a much better attack (and much more balanced team) than Lee & marginally better attack than Lifetime. Therefore Dynamite wins comfortably.

31 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Not a fucking chance. 

I’d argue my side is stronger than Lee’s but Dynamite’s is easily the weakest of the 3 sides. 

Friedel, Staunton, Bruce, Mullery, Houghton. None of these were top top players. 
By my count Dynamite has 7 individual players who made European Cup finals as key players in their teams (Barnes misses out for obv reasons but his talent merits an 8th). Your side has .. 4 .. if I’m count right? And Gemmil .. he’s one of those 4 I think but he was dropped famously for at least 1 of those finals .. really he’s well known for 1 goal. Dynamite has the worst overall pick (Watson) but otherwise There isn’t a comparison.

8 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Friedel, Staunton, Bruce, Mullery, Houghton. None of these were top top players. 
By my count Dynamite has 7 individual players who made European Cup finals as key players in their teams (Barnes misses out for obv reasons but his talent merits an 8th). Your side has .. 4 .. if I’m count right? And Gemmil .. he’s one of those 4 I think but he was dropped famously for at least 1 of those finals .. really he’s well known for 1 goal. Dynamite has the worst overall pick (Watson) but otherwise There isn’t a comparison.

European Cup final, CL or just a European final? 

12 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Silly talk. He has the best goalkeeper of the 3 teams. He has the best left back of the 3 teams. He has the best right back of the 3 teams (that anyone has actually seen play). Some may argue differently but Id suggest Campbell is the best CB of the 3 teams (Watson, conversely, is the worst - so there is that).

Between Bremner & Essien for the best midfielder. Cowans & Rocastle were strange picks that could have been improved but all of these midfields are poor (Lee only has 2 midfielders, one of whom is 2 attacking to be in a midfield 2 with 4 forwards ahead of him. 

The attack is really the differentiator: Rooney was great but Duff/Yorke/McManaman are B-level picks at this stage, none of them were world class and certainly don’t merit making such a lopsidedly attacking team for. Of the other 2 teams: Drogba>Owen; Barnes>Hazard; Sterling<Ronaldo.

So Dynamite absolutely storms the defence on a pick to pick basis. Is competitive in midfield with possibly the best individual midfielder from a very weak bunch. Has a much better attack (and much more balanced team) than Lee & marginally better attack than Lifetime. Therefore Dynamite wins comfortably.

If you’ve seen Billy Bremner play, you’ve seen Paul Reaney play. Kenny Samson was a fantastic player who, prior to Ashley Cole, many people regarded as England’s best ever left-back.

Defence is 2-2? You can’t be suggesting Steve Staunton is better than Emlyn Hughes (Hughes different class). And you can’t be suggesting Steve Bruce is better than Sol Campbell (Campbell different class). And you can’t be suggesting a player from the 60s with 3 national caps — a fraction of Anderson — and without the European Cups and trophies across 3 different sides is confident better than Anderson. So difficult to arrive at 2-2.

Barnes was better than Hazard. Drogba was better than Owen. Ronaldo obviously much better than Sterling. Difficult to arrive at 2-1 in the other direction. 

Your midfield has a relative journeyman in Houghton, Mullery who won 3 trophies total in 18 years with more than half his appearances being for Fulham (and almost half of those being in the Second Division) and Gemmil who was dropped for the key achievement of his club career - Forest being in the European Cup final. So come on, let’s not be disingenuous and suggest this is really dominating any side. All the midfields are weak.

13 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

If you’ve seen Billy Bremner play, you’ve seen Paul Reaney play. Kenny Samson was a fantastic player who, prior to Ashley Cole, many people regarded as England’s best ever left-back.

Yes Samsom was a good player but So what? Was Samsom better than Emlyn Hughes? And if you answer - “no” - then what is your point exactly? There are levels to the game.

25 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Yes Samsom was a good player but So what? Was Samsom better than Emlyn Hughes? And if you answer - “no” - then what is your point exactly? There are levels to the game.

I think it’s closer between Hughes and Sansom than you do. I’d rather have Hughes in my team, as I’m a Liverpool fan, but my preference would be to play him in midfield or central defence.

4 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Defence is 2-2? You can’t be suggesting Steve Staunton is better than Emlyn Hughes (Hughes different class). And you can’t be suggesting Steve Bruce is better than Sol Campbell (Campbell different class). And you can’t be suggesting a player from the 60s with 3 national caps — a fraction of Anderson — and without the European Cups and trophies across 3 different sides is confident better than Anderson. So difficult to arrive at 2-2.

Barnes was better than Hazard. Drogba was better than Owen. Ronaldo obviously much better than Sterling. Difficult to arrive at 2-1 in the other direction. 

Your midfield has a relative journeyman in Houghton, Mullery who won 3 trophies total in 18 years with more than half his appearances being for Fulham (and almost half of those being in the Second Division) and Gemmil who was dropped for the key achievement of his club career - Forest being in the European Cup final. So come on, let’s not be disingenuous and suggest this is really dominating any side. All the midfields are weak.

Hughes is better than Staunton. 
Campbell Vs Kompany is close, happy if you prefer Campbell. 
Bruce pisses all over Watson.
Reaney was an excellent RB and far better than Anderson. 

The midfield isn’t even up for discussion. Again I walk it.

And I’d have Owen over Drogba every single day of the week which gives me the forward line too. 

9 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Hughes is better than Staunton. 
Campbell Vs Kompany is close, happy if you prefer Campbell. 
Bruce pisses all over Watson.
Reaney was an excellent RB and far better than Anderson. 

The midfield isn’t even up for discussion. Again I walk it.

And I’d have Owen over Drogba every single day of the week which gives me the forward line too. 

Owen over Drogba? As one man may say, “put your medals on the table”. Owen basically had a 3/4 year golden period after which he was finished. Their careers are absolutely leagues apart. I just explained factually why your midfield is a pack of literal journeyman (one of whom played almost half his fixtures in Division 2), but carry on.

I'm having a fucking stinker at the minute. Apologies.

All over the shop.

Handed in my notice at work on Monday.

Work laptop went tits up on Wednesday.

Had to travel to Bracknell for night shifts on Thursday and Friday and everything is shit.

Lee gets my vote - Job done.