You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why do we appear to be targetted so much by pundits?

dockers_strike

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

There are some that dislike Liverpool probably because of Klopp and the fact he's been pretty critical of the media and been quite pissy with some people at times. 

But really, we're not. Half the pundits on tv are ex-Liverpool players. 

With all due respect, Stacksy, if you don’t live in England or spend any time here, it’s impossible to quite understand just how much people dislike LFC. Like someone said above, it’s fashionable to hate us and that translates to bile from the man on the street all over the country. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

With all due respect, Stacksy, if you don’t live in England or spend any time here, it’s impossible to quite understand just how much people dislike LFC. Like someone said above, it’s fashionable to hate us and that translates to bile from the man on the street all over the country. 

I know people hate us, although you're right, I'm not sure I get why supporters of these random small teams usually happen to have a hard on for Liverpool, with the sign on and always the victims type stuff.

But this thread is about pundits, not the average fan, and Liverpool are very well represented in the media. Like I said, I think a lot of the media don't like Klopp, though.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

I know people hate us, although you're right, I'm not sure I get why supporters of these random small teams usually happen to have a hard on for Liverpool, with the sign on and always the victims type stuff.

But this thread is about pundits, not the average fan, and Liverpool are very well represented in the media. Like I said, I think a lot of the media don't like Klopp, though.

Couple of points, even ex Liverpool player pundits give us stick. That may be because they want to show they arent biased. Second point, given Sky and BT pundit panels, there's at least a 3 to 1 ratio of non Liverpool player pundits to ex Liverpool player. That doesnt include the miriad of pundits who opine on Sky's Football Show or writers in the UK football media.

But ratios dont really come into it or answer the question why no other club appears to have almost every goal so closely analysed then given the 'Monday morning quarter back' routine.

I dont agree most of the football media doesnt like Klopp.

Man utd fans and their assortment of arselickers in the media have always been brought up to hate Liverpool and to lord it over us when we were shit. They lost the "you've never won the league" one upmanship over us so just have to concentrate on hating everything about us. It also doesn't help that they are shit and have gone bitter rather than laughing at us. 

Add to that their city neighbours have won so much recently but deep down they would rather them win anything than us because their success is down to money.

The majority of other clubs probably see it that way. If City win it doesn't really matter because they've spent tons of money to get there. We've had to earn success with a very good manager who operates on a sell to but model yet somehow we can still compete with city on the field. Therefore our success is deemed more earned than City's and Chelsea to a slightly lesser degree.

Loads of pundits aren't arsed about City as long as they see them twatting teams 4 nil every week because they get to see nice football from expensive signings and then laud Pep for being a genius. 

It will also make the others look at us and ask themselves why they win fuck all. Everton have spent millions yet are a complete shambles, they should be embarrassed about what we've won but they just come up with outlandish conspiracy theories. 

Also applies to Arsenal who've had years of CL money yet only got to one final. So when Liverpool do well or win anything it pisses off other clubs that these journos/pundits are associated with. City are expected to win things but they are now going to overtake other clubs in terms of trophies so it might start to bother them more when it happens. 

There's also the Heysel aspect of things as a lot of clubs were denied entry into Europe because of the ban and its still a thing to jump on the bandwagon about and hate us. Then there's just a general dislike of the city in general which is basically country wide 

• Upvote 3

I don't think see a problem with the hate, its a 2 way street. The Telegraph, the mail and the S*n are basically Tory so it's only right they would hate us. Does any other club sing fuck the tories? Does any other club ban a national newspaper? 

I've no evidence to back this up but I reckon Utd get the 2nd most amount of abuse. We don't see it because the mind doesn't work that way, Arsenal definitely get plenty of stick from all corners of the media. 

If its a choice of love and respect or hate from them cunts then the latter please. Its certainly better than the 3rd option which is no one cares about you, hence why you need to hit 2 players with 1 bottle to finally draw attention or you whinge when you win the treble because no one noticed. 

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

One of the biggest reasons we are so widely hated by fans of clubs all over the land is this:

It is largely down to fact that we have 'fans' all over the rest of the country, and supporters of other clubs have to put up with our fans every day at school, work, in the ale house etc etc.

Other clubs (Man Utd aside) just don't have same presence all over and therefore are not universally hated....it must (and i know it does because i have heard people say it does) really nark people who have to listen to their local people, born/raised etc in their local town give it the big one about LFC to them....

People take it genuinely badly when what they see as 'glory hunters' basically betray their own towns/cities to 'support' us and compound it by giving it the big one.

I moved to London years ago and I remember a West Ham fan at our work saying to me how much he hated all the 'cockney reds' at work, and how as a result he developed a real hatred of LFC and i remember Tottenham and Arsenal fans saying same thing...and thing is these 'fans' they refer to are often the worst sort - clueless, sneering about the locals 'shit' teams and often so lacking in knowledge about game.

They then have a massive presence online too which then builds up the perception in other clubs fans minds all our fans are same dickheads/clueless pricks....and it builds hatred.

Imagine being a born and bred native of say Southampton for example and having to listen to another born and bred native of Southampton call Southampton FC shite and go on about how 'we' (Liverpool) are better than you/giving it the big one after beating you.....that happens in more or less every city and town across the land - and other clubs fans hate us as a result, because our club is a constant presence to them day in day out.

Man Utd are the only other club with same presence and they are hated a lot too.

Add that to a large dislike of us amongst people old enough to have lived through our dominance, and the generally quite high levels of anti scouse sentiment that exists and it explains the hate pretty well.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Anubis said:

This is the Sebastian mini-thread in full. I initially only saw the second tweet quoted. It’s because of his first tweet that I modified my position. However, by not identifying the two games he’s talking about he’s certainly left the second tweet open to interpretation, and others have been happy to jump in.

Was the first game Liverpool at Spurs?

• Upvote 1

A "Liverpool bad" tweet automatically gets 5 figure likes and retweets.

A comment being critical of Klopp gets quoted thousands of times across social media with the pundit name and channel. 

An article slating us gets fans of clubs from the conference up reading it for advertisement money. 

It's that simple. 

• Upvote 1

Even that dickhead African journalist who had a go at Klopp for saying the Afcon was a small tournament got millions of retweets and people were giving him attention.

Klopp explained what he meant quite simply but tons of other knobheads completely ignored him and carried on with the agenda then talksport brainwashed their thick listeners.

11 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

Then there's just a general dislike of the city in general which is basically country wide 

Although I’m not from the city, that is certainly true (not from me!). 

Peoples view of the people and the city (unemployed, thief’s, benefits blah blah blah) have allowed the Hillsborough & “Feed The Scousers” lies to get to never go away. If anything, they get louder by the year despite facts pointing to completely the opposite.

The above and simple jealousy. Other clubs want to be us. When supporters of other clubs see us, for example, in European games taking 50k to Istanbul and staging the greatest comeback of all time or the equally impressive Barca game… no plastic flags, the noise, colour, originality, passion and numbers we bring to games cannot be topped. Then when we win, TV makes a big deal if it, rubs everybody’s face in it and they think “why can’t it be us”.

Having a great side under Klopp, plus that Klopp is ace, makes people fume more. Who wouldn’t want Klopp? Probably City but the rest would break their dicks off to have him in charge.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, gkmacca said:

A third of them must be working for Chorley FM or some such, then. Maybe back in the 1990s but not these days.

What strikes me are the number of pundits who quite blatantly dislike, or even hate, the club. Danny Mills, for example. He never has tried to hide how much he loathes LFC. Then there's Agbonlahor, Cundy, Sherwood, Hasselbaink, Crooks, Alan Smith, Jamie O'Hara. Thankfully TalkSport is a magnet for them these days, so I can avoid them easily, but they're all pretty shameless in their eagerness to slag us off.

If they are on TalkShite then I would never hear them but the common denominator with all of them is that they werent good enough to play for LFC, so fuck em

15 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Luckily I haven't seen him for a while , but Tony Gale absolutely hated us for some reason , the veins on his neck virtually popping if we scored.

Played for West Ham. Liverpool beat then in the 2006 cup final. I'm sure that's flimsy enough for this cunt to dislike Liverpool FC. 

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Although I’m not from the city, that is certainly true (not from me!). 

Peoples view of the people and the city (unemployed, thief’s, benefits blah blah blah) have allowed the Hillsborough & “Feed The Scousers” lies to get to never go away. If anything, they get louder by the year despite facts pointing to completely the opposite.

The above and simple jealousy. Other clubs want to be us. When supporters of other clubs see us, for example, in European games taking 50k to Istanbul and staging the greatest comeback of all time or the equally impressive Barca game… no plastic flags, the noise, colour, originality, passion and numbers we bring to games cannot be topped. Then when we win, TV makes a big deal if it, rubs everybody’s face in it and they think “why can’t it be us”.

Having a great side under Klopp, plus that Klopp is ace, makes people fume more. Who wouldn’t want Klopp? Probably City but the rest would break their dicks off to have him in charge.

It makes me laugh the way people from other parts of the country go on about Liverpool like its Mogadishu after the Somali government collapsed. 

London hit the record last month of 30 teenage stabbings (all deaths) in one month. Other areas of the country have higher unemployment rate like Wolverhampton. I've been to shitholes like Dewsbury and Doncaster in Yorkshire which are worse than some parts of Liverpool.

Manchester has a higher crime rate and car theft rate than Liverpool and London has the highest housing benefit claims in the country. So much so the councils force people to live in other parts of the country. 

But because of stereotypical ideas about scousers everyone just bashes the city. 

3 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

It makes me laugh the way people from other parts of the country go on about Liverpool like its Mogadishu after the Somali government collapsed. 

London hit the record last month of 30 teenage stabbings (all deaths) in one month. Other areas of the country have higher unemployment rate like Wolverhampton. I've been to shitholes like Dewsbury and Doncaster in Yorkshire which are worse than some parts of Liverpool.

Manchester has a higher crime rate and car theft rate than Liverpool and London has the highest housing benefit claims in the country. So much so the councils force people to live in other parts of the country. 

But because of stereotypical ideas about scousers everyone just bashes the city. 

Liverpool is a lovely city & one my favourite I've ever visited regularly. Haven't been a few years now but when I was a kid was always there seeing my Grandparents and shopping, etc.  Might not be from Liverpool but my Mum is and I'm proud of my association with city.   Got a few good friends up there too. 

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Liverpool is a lovely city & one my favourite I've ever visited regularly. Haven't been a few years now but when I was a kid was always there seeing my Grandparents and shopping, etc.  Might not be from Liverpool but my Mum is and I'm proud of my association with city.   Got a few good friends up there too. 

Weirdly, people who've actually bothered to visit like it. I can remember talking to a family from Southampton on holiday and their son wanted to visit both footy grounds so they came up for a weekend.

The Mum and Dad said they were terrified at first and their friends had said they were mad going up to Liverpool.

They said they loved it, said there was loads to do and they loved the pubs as well as Casa Italia.  The Dad said every time they asked for directions or for help everyone was really friendly. If it was Southampton they would probably be ignored by two or three people before someone helped.

They went on the Beatles taxi tour even though they weren't Beatles fans but found it interesting. They had booked to go again and explore the surrounding areas. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

And then you get Leicester signing “Feed The Scousers” or other random no marks sing “Always The Victims”, because these sides know they are very unlikely to get anything off us on the pitch, they need another avenue to vent their spleen’s.

I can assure you Yorkshire has far worse area’s than Dewsbury! 

31 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Weirdly, people who've actually bothered to visit like it. I can remember talking to a family from Southampton on holiday and their son wanted to visit both footy grounds so they came up for a weekend.

The Mum and Dad said they were terrified at first and their friends had said they were mad going up to Liverpool.

They said they loved it, said there was loads to do and they loved the pubs as well as Casa Italia.  The Dad said every time they asked for directions or for help everyone was really friendly. If it was Southampton they would probably be ignored by two or three people before someone helped.

They went on the Beatles taxi tour even though they weren't Beatles fans but found it interesting. They had booked to go again and explore the surrounding areas. 

Some of the best nights out I had in my 20's & 30's were in Liverpool. Never any trouble, always a laugh.  
Great city, fantastic people and so much to do. 

People definitely judge Liverpool in a certain way that's rather unfair to the city and the people. 

1 hour ago, Harry Squatter said:

This is very typical. It's amazing how a media narrative can shape people's thoughts and views.