You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why do we appear to be targetted so much by pundits?

dockers_strike

Just seen that comment by Henry Winter, posted in the TLW Palace match report. Frankly, it is a disgusting slur against all 3 parties involved in the game, Palace, Liverpool and the ref. 4 if you include VAR.

If there's any 'Hello' then it reflects on Palace. Is Henry suggesting Palace deliberately missed those chances where it seemed it was impossible for them not to score? Is he suggesting after they scored their one, they changed their attack so they wouldnt score more? Alternatively, he's saying the officials and both teams were somehow complicit in match fixing? Now I know refs and VAR are crap but even I dont believe it's fixed even if maybe Ive said they're corrupt in the past.

Where was the inquest on Palace's goal and the offside? They concentrated more on Ox's goal and Bobby's jump than this and they talked more about Virgil being blindsided by the scorer's run!

It just seems to me virtually every one of our televised goals are over analysed by 'the pundits' and sports writers to find some fault and say it shouldnt have been given. Yes, you possibly can find a little shove, push or pull back but you'd find that in any goal for any club. But they seem to be ignored or not mentioned. A case in point, city's pen against arsenal where silva went down in 12 easy monthly installments. Did Henry post 'In 37 years......'? Maybe that was the 2nd game he mentioned but I doubt it.

city have had a number of incredible decisions to easy fixtures in both domestic cup competitions over the last 4 years. That's up there with the shite being drawn to play every one of their opening PL game at home during a 10 year period while we were away. Where's Henry's 'Hello' there?

Take the Sky pundits on yesterday's chelsea game and Kane's disallowed goal when Thiago theatrically fell down. There was hardly anything said in game or by the studio compared to carragher's ranting 'never a pen' diatribe.

What about Welbeck's last minute touching of boots with Robbo a couple of seasons ago? You wouldnt get a foul for that outside the box. Where was the inquest on that being a diabolical decision because I dont remember it?

We always seem to be on the end of a shellacking for. I dont see the same inquests even for dubious goals scored in games where we arent involved.

Next look at the shit we got for asking for the arsenal 1st leg to be called off. I bet most of the cunts giving us shit for that are the same cunts who said we should have called off the Atletico CL game a fewyears back when the club didnt even have authority to do so!

Can you imagine the shit Henry, fat cunt samuel and others would, literally, have thrown at us if the incident by the shite fans against Villa had happened at Anfield? We'd be nailed to a flaming cross and games played behind closed doors demanded. This lobbing coins and bottles at that shithole has been going on for years yet you'd think last Saturday was the first time anything like this had ever happened.

united failed to get a PL game against us played and when it was played, we had to adopt an almost James Bond plot to get our team in the stadium under cover. That all seems to have died a death, doesnt it?

Dont get me started on the shit oppo fans sing every time they play us. Where's the media's condemnation of such chants? 

The silence is defeaning.

If you hear a 'fuck' or 'shit' during a televised early kick off, you get Sky saying 'apologies for any bad language you may of heard'! Fucking incredible. Yeah we're sorry you heard a 'fuck' or something else but we dont care about 'feed the scousers,' 'Always the victim' etc, etc.

Of course the best way to ram it down their throats is to win the game and not give a fuck. But at the same time, it sticks in your throat what others get away with. I still cant believe Kompany didnt get a red for that assault on Mo. Talk about that one, not!

• Upvote 8

Bit simplistic to say we generate clicks and views, isnt it? They could do it for united but even pendandez' foul on himself for that pen at villa hardly got mentioned.

Yeah, they might not be as relevant on the pitch as they once were but that would suggest even more reason given the love in for them, surely?

I think we can all be guilty of selective hearing when it comes to the coverage. I just don't care about the other games so I don't notice stuff that's probably there that I only pick up on during our games.

I agree about the failure to call out some of the chanting. They're supposed to straining to seem woke, so there's no reason why they should pretend not to notice abuse about poverty etc. They should have been condemning it years ago, let alone now.

To be fair to a lot of pundits, they were ready enough to say we should have had a pen when Jota 'stopped' in the area a few games ago. What irks is the extra passion invested in the Palace complaint. The denial of a pen for us was even more outrageous, and yet it just got some mild tut-tutting, whereas several pundits yesterday seemed happy to slide into conspiracy theories. As for Lineker, who used to magically get penalties whenever Engerlund needed them, no matter how 'soft' the decisions were, he can STFU.

With 'friends' like Cascarino, however, who needs enemies? He was at it again this morning, making the amazing observation that our high line is risky. Why do pundits keep stating the obvious as if they've uncovered an astonishing tactical error? We play like that because it helps us to be such a fast, intense, pressing, attacking side that wins the ball a lot and creates loads of chances. It's great. Yes, the downside is that we can get caught, but so what? It's given us some of the best seasons of football we've ever had. If we ditched it, we'd merely have a different weakness. The benefits of playing the way we do, with the players we have, far, far, outweighs the negatives. A decent pundit would listen to this drivel about 'ooh, their high line, ooh, loads of space, long balls, possible danger, ooh' and say, 'so what?'

• Upvote 2

Dockers. I’ve posted an addendum to that Winter comment and I think when you read the thread as a whole, he’s actually saying the officials are incompetent rather than bent. But the tweet I posted is so ambiguous it’s unclear if Palace is one of the two games he’s referring to. He’s left himself wriggle room, but has encouraged the conspiracy theorists.

That aside, on a more general note we do seem to have become a lightning rod for every dissatisfied cunt and shitty team out there.

14 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Dockers. I’ve posted an addendum to that Winter comment and I think when you read the thread as a whole, he’s actually saying the officials are incompetent rather than bent. But the tweet I posted is so ambiguous it’s unclear if Palace is one of the two games he’s referring to. He’s left himself wriggle room, but has encouraged the conspiracy theorists.

That aside, on a more general note we do seem to have become a lightning rod for every dissatisfied cunt and shitty team out there.

If Winter's only just come to the conclusion that the officials in the PL are incompetent, he should be in a different job.

As others have said - nowhere near the same outcry when dodgy (as in suoer-dodgy) decisions go in favour of the Manc teams. Last season, City scored the most outrageous of offside goals against Villa (at 0-0 of course) which was explained away on the grounds of some bizarre and illogical technicality. Not to mention ManU, 1-0 down, equalising at West Ham when the ball had gone 2 feet out of play. 

1 minute ago, DaveT said:

If Winter's only just come to the conclusion that the officials in the PL are incompetent, he should be in a different job.

As others have said - nowhere near the same outcry when dodgy (as in suoer-dodgy) decisions go in favour of the Manc teams. Last season, City scored the most outrageous of offside goals against Villa (at 0-0 of course) which was explained away on the grounds of some bizarre and illogical technicality. Not to mention ManU, 1-0 down, equalising at West Ham when the ball had gone 2 feet out of play. 

Or the winner at Wolves after the whistle had been blown

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Or the winner at Wolves after the whistle had been blown

Or Tierney blowing for half time 5 seconds before the end of the MINIMUM amount of added on time, with Mane chasing a through ball. Now THAT was a 'Hello' moment if ever there was one.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I used the link you posted to read Winter's actual comment on Twatter mate. That's the bit Im talking about. I appreciate you may have expanded on that.

He might have made a fuller comment in an article but he saw fit to post on Twatter "In 37 years covering football, I've seen only 2 games where I thought "hello" to gain attention. He didnt post that to solely drive people to his expanded article or, if he did, then he's a bigger nob than I thought.

It's clear to me what the intention of his tweet is.

34 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

But really, we're not. Half the pundits on tv are ex-Liverpool players. 

A third of them must be working for Chorley FM or some such, then. Maybe back in the 1990s but not these days.

What strikes me are the number of pundits who quite blatantly dislike, or even hate, the club. Danny Mills, for example. He never has tried to hide how much he loathes LFC. Then there's Agbonlahor, Cundy, Sherwood, Hasselbaink, Crooks, Alan Smith, Jamie O'Hara. Thankfully TalkSport is a magnet for them these days, so I can avoid them easily, but they're all pretty shameless in their eagerness to slag us off.

• Upvote 1

Actor Jim Piddocks says it was by far the worst VAR decision he's seen.. fuck me Jotas v spurs was a far worse decision and actually impacted the game, there's been countless far worse decisions. United get a penalty after the final whistle and its just whimpers and fuck all about fixing from journos , versus Palace whether you think it's soft or not if a keeper takes out a player and misses the ball completely you run the risk of giving away a penalty. The agendas are so brazen its stopped being funny and now its just desperately sad, you hate us we get it, you've lost all objectivity because of that hate.

This is the Sebastian mini-thread in full. I initially only saw the second tweet quoted. It’s because of his first tweet that I modified my position. However, by not identifying the two games he’s talking about he’s certainly left the second tweet open to interpretation, and others have been happy to jump in.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Actor Jim Piddocks says it was by far the worst VAR decision he's seen.. fuck me Jotas v spurs was a far worse decision and actually impacted the game, there's been countless far worse decisions. United get a penalty after the final whistle and its just whimpers and fuck all about fixing from journos , versus Palace whether you think it's soft or not if a keeper takes out a player and misses the ball completely you run the risk of giving away a penalty. The agendas are so brazen its stopped being funny and now its just desperately sad, you hate us we get it, you've lost all objectivity because of that hate.

Pity the great Fred Willard can't be summoned back to sit next to Piddock for all Palace games, like when they were together in Best in Show. Willard saying 'Wha-happen' repeatedly and laughing in an irritatingly carefree manner after our third goal until Piddock either breaks down and cries or storms off - that would have been perfect.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

What I cannot fathom is why all the pundits go completely over the top on our decisions? They didnt make a meal over Kane's supposed shove and thiago's 'fall' which affected that game more as the scores were 0-0 as they did and continue to do with our pen.

As the one team that competes against city's financial cheating, you could be forgiven for them glossing over such stuff so the PL retains the competitive edge.

As Ive said before, if that bottle and coin incident at the pit had happened at Anfield, we'd never hear the last. Fuck me, our whole ground was labelled racist a few years back when an Oldham player said he heard a racist remark made at him.

No one should ever take Talksport seriously. Its just of knobheads who just make weird outlandish claims so everyone retweets them or rings up to argue with them. Plus it's basically the Sun. 

It's definitely fashionable to hate us which is weird considering the way Chelsea and Man City have ruined things with their endless amount of money and Man Utd just being arrogant entitled cunts. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

As Ive said before, if that bottle and coin incident at the pit had happened at Anfield, we'd never hear the last. Fuck me, our whole ground was labelled racist a few years back when an Oldham player said he heard a racist remark made at him.

Well, what about whenever City turn up at Anfield? When it's not the team coach, it's someone spitting at Pep, someone shouting at Pep, someone looking in a slightly strange way at Pep, someone sighing audibly in Pep's presence - it always gets reported, and then, usually, no evidence is found and only the Echo acknowledge that fact.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's done deliberately, because they know the growing list will be kept on file without any record of the debunking, so they can perpetuate this idea of our 'terrible' fans.

For example:

Guardian, 4 Oct 21:

Liverpool gather ‘substantial’ evidence on alleged spitting at Guardiola’s bench

Echo, 9 November 21:

Liverpool have found no evidence to suggest a supporter spat at Manchester City's backroom staff during last month's 2-2 Premier League draw at Anfield.

So someone will remember that first headline and miss the second. Result. It's what keeps happening.

5 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

I think it's down to the fact that a lot of current sports writers and pundits grew up in the 70s and 80s supporting other teams while Liverpool were dominating. That's when the seeds of their bitterness towards us will have been sown.

I don't know. That could work both ways - some could have grown up as fellow travellers. Besides which, it's a fairly young man's game - Winter and Samuel are in their fifties, but most of the hacks are in their late twenties/early thirties, so ignorance of our glory era is more of a problem (which is one reason why Paisley doesn't seem to exist to many of them when they try to list great managers).