You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How do you view someone who doesn't drink?

deiseach

How do you view someone who doesn't drink?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. How do you view someone who doesn't drink?

• Meh, what they do with their time and money is up to them
    • Bit of a weirdo, if I'm being absolutely honest

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/02/22 at 09:54

• 10 months later...

I'm on a doctor imposed significant reduction in booze order for 6 weeks to try and isolate a liver issue picked up. I figured that I'll drink on Christmas and New year and then just knock it on the head, for the short term at least. Separately, but also recently, I had a chest xray and a small part of my lung isnt working properly, so I am an order to do enough exercise that I am gasping for air regularly. Therefore I have joined a gym. 

Pathetically I am especially irritated by the timing because I'll look like a new year, new me bellwhiff, who only does these things because its trendy. 

Not that bothered about it so far though I have only gone a few days. Just curious what others have replaced it with? So far really enjoying tonic water on its own. Got some Punk IPA AF which was alright, think I have had another brewdog one before which was better but forget the name. 

I think I am probably quite glad its doctor imposed in a way. My will power and motivation for weight loss and exercise doesnt seem to have any longevity when it does kick in, so this kinda forces my hand and now feel pretty confident I can do it without too much temptation. I know, its only 6 weeks but is incorporated into a lot of my social life and wind down time. I think changes in habits are a good thing. 

• Upvote 9

15 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I'm on a doctor imposed significant reduction in booze order for 6 weeks to try and isolate a liver issue picked up. I figured that I'll drink on Christmas and New year and then just knock it on the head, for the short term at least. Separately, but also recently, I had a chest xray and a small part of my lung isnt working properly, so I am an order to do enough exercise that I am gasping for air regularly. Therefore I have joined a gym. 

Pathetically I am especially irritated by the timing because I'll look like a new year, new me bellwhiff, who only does these things because its trendy. 

Not that bothered about it so far though I have only gone a few days. Just curious what others have replaced it with? So far really enjoying tonic water on its own. Got some Punk IPA AF which was alright, think I have had another brewdog one before which was better but forget the name. 

I think I am probably quite glad its doctor imposed in a way. My will power and motivation for weight loss and exercise doesnt seem to have any longevity when it does kick in, so this kinda forces my hand and now feel pretty confident I can do it without too much temptation. I know, it’s only 6 weeks but is incorporated into a lot of my social life and wind down time. I think changes in habits are a good thing. 

I was very much in the camp of AF beer is all the disbenefits with non of the benefits. I.e give you the calories and puts on weight but doesn’t get you fucked up.

I’ve revised that and have the odd AF beer and enjoy it when off the ale. But still will drink far fewer and really hit the gym without and make up the difference when not drinking.

I’ve lapsed a bit earlier than I thought I would recently, but I’m thinking that post New Year I might go January and half of February without drinking at all. If i do I’ll be significantly healthier and better off than I was.

I’ve got a Garman watch and the difference between the length and quality of sleep when I drink and when I don’t unbelievably marked, it’s got to the stage where I can’t really deny that drinking absolutely fucks my sleep up and my mood. 

I’m coming round to the idea I need to significantly moderate my drinking… eventually

No doubt about it, Drink has fucked up about 3 amazing jobs and a few opportunities that I didn't take because it would have messed up with my social life. Joining the Navy at 17 didn't help because the drinking culture is beyond normality. Leaving that I used to laugh at mates who wanted to do anything that didn't involve drinking. you work, you drink. The Navy way. 

How do I view people that don't drink? Stronger people than me. I've probably got better memories of epic days nights weekends (subjective) but they are better people. 

Boring cunts. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Captain Willard said:

I’m off the booze for a long time from January. Mrs Willard having an operation where she can’t drink for months afterwards  so I’m coming out in sympathy like a 1970s striker. I’ll be evangelising about abstinence on here in no time. 

I've done 100 days+ sober since the start of January the last couple of years. It's not really that 'bad' but the Covid restrictions made it a lot easier, as does having the odd smoke here and there. I'll be fighting the good fight next year again alongside you, so if you ever want advice or encouragement, I'd seriously consider looking elsewhere...

• Upvote 1

Not had a drop to drink since around March/April.

Don't miss it at all and never felt better as a result.

The hardest part has been getting over the awkwardness it has caused with mates etc in social situations, especially going the game - but that aside it has been great - not sure I'll bother again in all honesty.

I view them through the bottom of my empty glass.

Unless I'm on holiday I only drink on a Saturday, unless it's hot enough to sit in the garden I never drink at home. I think from now on I'm never going to drink before 6PM on a Saturday either. Saturday all day drinking is too common a thing for me and though I'm a laid back drunk I chat absolute wham and the next day think "I'm a total fucking bellend"

I don't know why i drink at all, I'd smoke weed but I'm scared it would start me smoking again.

With young kids at home, big nights out are rare. I enjoyed a few beers at home, but the following day I feel ropey even if I’ve only had the equivalent of 3 pints. I’ll be 50 in march so I suppose age is catching up with me, and that’s fine. I always go off the drink in January as it’s the easiest way to shed a stone in 4 weeks, but Im thinking I’ll probably cut right down this year. Just save it for the rare visits to the pub. 

I think I’m going off alcohol. Weird.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

6 weeks now and still sober. I’m at an all inclusive resort so every other guest is drinking from lunchtime onwards, sometimes earlier. Never seen red wine on tap before. Still enjoying feeling less stressed and anxious every morning. 

I accidentally did Dry Jan this year. I had no intentions of doing it, just didn't fancy a drink. I felt much better for it by the end of the month. Had a bottle of red wine on Friday night and spent all day Saturday in a haze. Messed with my sleep for the last few nights too. Just not worth it. This is a decent, quick video.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I accidentally did Dry Jan this year. I had no intentions of doing it, just didn't fancy a drink. I felt much better for it by the end of the month. Had a bottle of red wine on Friday night and spent all day Saturday in a haze. Messed with my sleep for the last few nights too. Just not worth it. This is a decent, quick video.

Thanks. Good video 

I have done six weeks no booze and felt great however it was my birthday on Saturday and my brother who didn't know I was on the wagon bought me a box of San Miguel. I went out for a curry with the wife and kids on Saturday and when we got home had a few of the beers.

The first one tasted absolutely fantastic, ended up having six, woke up with no hangover and no real appetite to have more which was my fear as I tend to get into a habit/routine of drinking for drinkings sake.

• Like 1

On 23/12/2022 at 22:55, Remmie said:

I think I am probably quite glad its doctor imposed in a way. My will power and motivation for weight loss and exercise doesnt seem to have any longevity when it does kick in, so this kinda forces my hand and now feel pretty confident I can do it without too much temptation. I know, its only 6 weeks but is incorporated into a lot of my social life and wind down time. I think changes in habits are a good thing. 

I spoke to the doctors again whilst visiting uni mates and my liver is fine and not affected by alcohol drinking. The perfect time to get the news so naturally got straight back on it. And now I am a lightweight, so I feel the sensation of feeling drunk a couple pints in and therefore don't go chasing it as much, so even if I am hungover the next day its pretty easy to deal with. Definitely a lesson in here, whether I learn it long term remains to be seen. 

When teetotal I found drinking alcohol free beer not too different an experience really, like drinking slightly worse beer than normal so tasted alright and had 5 or 6 on a night out once, amusingly pointless but I enjoyed it and didn't feel I was missing out much.